Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-07-2011, 04:44 PM   #1
kindlews
kindlews knows what's going on.kindlews knows what's going on.kindlews knows what's going on.kindlews knows what's going on.kindlews knows what's going on.kindlews knows what's going on.kindlews knows what's going on.kindlews knows what's going on.kindlews knows what's going on.kindlews knows what's going on.kindlews knows what's going on.

Device: kindle3
Kindle Weather Station

Hi,

I'd like to announce FREE beta of a new service for Kindle(Kindle Weather Station). You can turn your kindle instantly into weather station replacement. Since it is Internet based service, everything runs in kindle's browser and no additional hacks or jailbrake is needed.

In order to use your kindle as weather station you'll need registration (otherwise the place is changing randomly) and optionally you can disable kindle's screensaver (mini-howto with pictures included in the FAQ).

Enjoy.
kindlews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 05:31 PM   #2
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Thanks for sharing. It is nice.
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2011, 06:00 PM   #3
Polyphemus
I am not The Stig
Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK-3g; PRS-350; Galaxy Tab 7.0+; Galaxy Tab 3 10.1
I tried it and it looks good. It has a lot of locations around the world, and it has one of the two places I am at in Korea. It has Gunsan (spelled Kunsan) but not Changwon (also spelled Gangwon).

If it's possible, could you please add Changwon (Gangwon) to the Korean places?

Also, is it possible to create a list of favorite locations?

It will be great when I get back to the US.

Last edited by Polyphemus; 11-07-2011 at 06:15 PM.
Polyphemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 02:32 AM   #4
terencek
Groupie
terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Message to kindlews: Don't know if you realise, but your registration process has put up a HUGE barrier for average Kindle users!

Very few average Kindle owners (myself included) will tackle the non-intuitive process of learning how to copy and paste the extremely long registration code in order to complete registration; highlighting, copying and pasting is easy on a PC, but it's a pain-in-the-keypad on a Kindle! So most will probably back out when they reach this obstacle. Pity -- looks like a really nifty app!
terencek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 06:58 AM   #5
min68
min68 began at the beginning.

Device: pdf
not support Canada...
min68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2011, 08:17 AM   #6
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by terencek View Post
Message to kindlews: Don't know if you realise, but your registration process has put up a HUGE barrier for average Kindle users!

Very few average Kindle owners (myself included) will tackle the non-intuitive process of learning how to copy and paste the extremely long registration code in order to complete registration; highlighting, copying and pasting is easy on a PC, but it's a pain-in-the-keypad on a Kindle! So most will probably back out when they reach this obstacle. Pity -- looks like a really nifty app!
Wow! Looks like I won't be registering. I absolutely hate surfing the web on my KSO. D-pad navigation + internet = fail!
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 10:09 AM   #7
tvjohn
Connoisseur
tvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle 3, K4NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlews View Post
Hi,

I'd like to announce FREE beta of a new service for Kindle(Kindle Weather Station).

Enjoy.
Thank you kindly for this, very handy, & nice & clear ( unlike our weather )

Folks, just register via another computer to make it easier, then add the ws URL to a text file of links as described in other MR posts!

Then you just login with name & password.
tvjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 10:22 AM   #8
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
This is cool. Thanks!
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 11:47 AM   #9
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Wow! Looks like I won't be registering. I absolutely hate surfing the web on my KSO. D-pad navigation + internet = fail!
My thoughts EXACTLY!!! Make an active content app and I might be interested, although probably not. If I'm at home where the WiFi would work, then I don't need it as I've got too many devices better suited for checking the weather than the Kindle. If I'm out and about then WiFi won't connect thus rendering the weather app useless.
Old 11-08-2011, 01:02 PM   #10
kindlews
kindlews knows what's going on.kindlews knows what's going on.kindlews knows what's going on.kindlews knows what's going on.kindlews knows what's going on.kindlews knows what's going on.kindlews knows what's going on.kindlews knows what's going on.kindlews knows what's going on.kindlews knows what's going on.kindlews knows what's going on.

At the moment we don't have weather data for Changwon. Sorry.
Regarding the favorite locaction: we are planning to add the feature of suggesting recently set locations on the settings page - some sort of favorites if you like. So stay tuned:-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyphemus View Post
If it's possible, could you please add Changwon (Gangwon) to the Korean places?

Also, is it possible to create a list of favorite locations?

It will be great when I get back to the US.
Old 11-08-2011, 01:22 PM   #11
kindlews

Activation process

Hi,

really thanks for your feedback.

The registration process requires activation of the account by following the activation link from your mailbox.

I agree if you don't read your mail from kindle then a PC is needed to finish activation.

Good news is, that you don't need to copy/paste/type on your kindle - the activation can be done completely off-kindle on your PC.

However due to the limitation of the kindle's browser not allowing to open new windows some users might have difficulties to open the activation link on their kindles. I agree this is annoying and there must be done something!

Therefore we will ease the activation process for users activating the account directly from their kindles.

Until then the proposed and working workaround is to finish the activation process from a PC.

Thanks for understanding
Old 11-08-2011, 01:32 PM   #12
kindlews

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvjohn View Post
Thank you kindly for this, very handy, & nice & clear ( unlike our weather )

Folks, just register via another computer to make it easier, then add the ws URL to a text file of links as described in other MR posts!

Then you just login with name & password.
Sorry about your local weather:-)

Regarding the URL http://kindlews.com - yes you can:
  • enter it manually
  • bookmark it in the kindles's browser
  • put it in the text file (as a link) and upload to your kindle
  • wait few days until the Kindle Weather Station ebook is available for free in Kindle Store

Last 2 options allows you to access the Kindle Weather Station by 2 clicks directly from your kindle's HOME screen.
Old 11-08-2011, 01:38 PM   #13
kindlews

Quote:
Originally Posted by min68 View Post
not support Canada...
we DO support Canada - currently 2276 locations in Canada is available. Alltogether over 50k locations around the world is supported right now.
Old 11-08-2011, 03:02 PM   #14
tvjohn
Connoisseur
tvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle 3, K4NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
If I'm out and about then WiFi won't connect thus rendering the weather app useless.
The ws URL works just fine over a 3G, edge, or GPRS link!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlews
wait few days until the Kindle Weather Station ebook is available for free in Kindle Store
Sadly if that's via the US Store & the only way to get it, rather than an alternative, you will automatically lock out many Kindle users
tvjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 03:21 PM   #15
kindlews

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvjohn View Post
Sadly if that's via the US Store & the only way to get it, rather than an alternative, you will automatically lock out many Kindle users
We will try our best to make the Kindle WS ebook available for free download from everywhere.

Tags
clock, forecast, kindle, weather