Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-09-2010, 10:58 AM   #1
suecsi
Rock Chick
suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle 2i, Kindle DX, Kindle 3G
Nothing to Envy - Real Lives in North Korea

I'm 52% through this according to my Kindle locations and am hooked.

At times I am nearly in tears thinking of the awful conditions described and how even being in love can be so dangerous.

There is no overt political agenda with the book other than to express what life is really like for ordinary people - so it makes a great change from all the rather dry political and economic literature I've read over the years as part of my studies.
suecsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 12:01 PM   #2
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Thanks for the headsup on the book. I'm always fascinated by North Korea, The Most Insane Place On Earth (I call it Wackyland.)

A video recommendation (the other parts are there, too):

Actually, I see that there are several of the documentaries on NK on Youtube, but that was the one that came to mind (I had seen it outside of Youtube. It should be watched.)

Also worth reading, this graphic novel.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2010, 08:32 PM   #3
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Sounds interesting, but...

Kindle version is $13.99 and paperback is $10.80. Publishers win again and ebook loses. I'll see if I can find a copy at Powell's...
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 08:43 PM   #4
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
I got this at Fictionwise back when I could massage my micropay into real deals. It was heartbreaking.

The part that hit home most to me was the pediatrician when she encounters the dog dish when she first gets to China. After all she'd been through and witnessed, I could see how that bit really was devastating.

Another good book I'd recommend about North Korea is The Aquariums of Pyongang. It doesn't tell as much of North Korea because it's really only the story of one boy and his family, but it is horrific as well.

I like to read something like this when I'm upset or pissed about something in my wonderful life. It makes you realize how lucky you are to have been born in a country that is not North Korea, Afghanistan, etc.

-Marcy
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 10:27 PM   #5
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy View Post
I got this at Fictionwise back when I could massage my micropay into real deals.
Obscenely priced at Fictionwise now.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2010, 10:44 PM   #6
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
Obscenely priced at Fictionwise now.
Isn't everything?

I was very sad to see the destruction of my favorite online bookstore. I used to buy at least 10 books/month there and haven't bought a single one in the past few months.

-Marcy
Old 08-10-2010, 11:36 PM   #7
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Thanks for the info on this book. I've read 3 other books in the subject but this one I haven't come across. Amazon UK have it at a really good price and I can't seem to get it from another store without jumping through hoops. Will have to be one for the kindle when it arrives.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 12:21 AM   #8
Marcy
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanghaichica View Post
Thanks for the info on this book. I've read 3 other books in the subject but this one I haven't come across. Amazon UK have it at a really good price and I can't seem to get it from another store without jumping through hoops. Will have to be one for the kindle when it arrives.
You can read it on your iPhone with the Kindle app, if you really can't wait.

-Marcy
Old 08-11-2010, 05:56 AM   #9
suecsi
Rock Chick
suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Sounds interesting, but...

Kindle version is $13.99 and paperback is $10.80. Publishers win again and ebook loses. I'll see if I can find a copy at Powell's...
Wow - £4.24 in UK last week.
Old 08-11-2010, 05:58 AM   #10
suecsi
Rock Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy View Post
....It was heartbreaking.

The part that hit home most to me was the pediatrician when she encounters the dog dish when she first gets to China. After all she'd been through and witnessed, I could see how that bit really was devastating.
-Marcy
That got me too ....I was nearly in tears to think that a dog in China ate better than a person in North Korea -and I think of how lucky we are ...
Old 08-24-2010, 12:58 PM   #11
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
I used an Audible credit ($11) to listen to this book - one of the best uses of a credit since I joined there. Highly recommended!
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote