Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-31-2010, 07:44 PM   #1
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Powerpoint -> PDF display on PRS600

I have these wonderful slides sent to me by a lecturer. They're perfect for display on the PRS600 in landscape mode.
Except they display on 2 pages, not one. I find this irritating. You have to move it in the Zoom display to make it display fully - but they don't need zooming.
They have a white background around them - is there an easy way to chop off the white? Would that solve my display problem so I can read my notes in comfort?
See attached. - The full notes are 14 MB in size so I won't be putting them up in a hurry!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Raman Eggleton Lectures May 24th.pdf (385.1 KB, 579 views)
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 07:48 PM   #2
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh, while I'm at it:
Is there a simple way to edit PDF titles so they appear properly when putting them on a PRS-600 without breaking out Acrobat?
Advert
Old 06-01-2010, 06:06 PM   #3
jswinden
Nameless Being

If the lecturer could give you the original PowerPoint presentation in an editable format, you could resize the pages so that they are in a 4 to 3 landscape ratio (which is the ratio of 800 x 600 pixels on the PRS-600 screen). Then create a new PDF. They are currently in about a 4 to 3.09 ratio which is off just enough to cause you to have to scroll down.
Old 06-01-2010, 08:24 PM   #4
AprilHare
Wizard

Getting stuff (again) off lecturers is a difficult business.
I'd be better off cropping it to 4:3 landscape ratio?
Do you need to take into account the size of the bottom 'toolbar' on a PRS-600 display?
Old 06-02-2010, 10:51 PM   #5
ghpicard
ghpicard began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600, Kindle PW3, PW4, Samsung Note 10
You can also try some PDF printing software (I use "PDF Creator") to generate a PDF out of your PDF, with some degree of adjustment. YMMV, but it's free as in gratis...
ghpicard is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2010, 11:00 PM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilHare View Post
They have a white background around them - is there an easy way to chop off the white? Would that solve my display problem so I can read my notes in comfort?
If you have access to it Acrobat Pro has a crop feature that will do this.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 05:29 PM   #7
jswinden
Nameless Being

another PDF cropping tool

Try this: http://www.a-pdf.com/?product-pcp

I've used this to crop out wide margins. It is pretty slow, but it does a nice job. You can use the Trial version to see if it works for you.
Old 06-04-2010, 05:36 PM   #8
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
Quote:
Oh, while I'm at it:
Is there a simple way to edit PDF titles so they appear properly when putting them on a PRS-600 without breaking out Acrobat?
I'm using http://www.becyhome.de/becypdfmetaed...iption_ger.htm to adjust PDF MetaData.
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 07:11 AM   #9
AprilHare
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
If you have access to it Acrobat Pro has a crop feature that will do this.
I just tried the crop feature and altered it to 4:3 - it still displays badly.
It won't let me reduce the page size - now what?
Old 06-08-2010, 01:15 PM   #10
jswinden
Nameless Being

Try this sample file. I think the trick is rotating the PDF 90 degrees CCW and saving it so that when opened in PORTRAIT mode it is displayed in landscape. That way there is no tendency for the reader to split the document pages into two parts as you don't need to use landscape mode at all.

Keep in mind that this is a low grade sample document that I quickly made by doing a screen capture of your PDF file, rotating the screen capture 90 degrees CCW, and pasting it into a MS Word document that I set up with 0 inch margins and a page size of 4x6 inches. I then saved it as a PDF. A much better job could be done with time and experimentation.

[edit]Oops, I forgot to attach the file....My bad![/edit}

Attached Files
File Type: pdf sample-landscape.pdf (90.2 KB, 256 views)

Last edited by jswinden; 06-08-2010 at 03:41 PM.
Old 06-09-2010, 02:21 PM   #11
switchman2210
Enthusiast
switchman2210 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.switchman2210 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.switchman2210 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.switchman2210 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.switchman2210 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Black PRS-650 with lighted cover & Kindle DX.
Is this what you want. I used Scansoft PDF Professional to crop/rotate the white borders of the pages.

By the way, as a guess, I would say you are studying DWDM systems?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Raman Eggleton Lectures May 24th cropped.pdf (388.5 KB, 469 views)
File Type: pdf Raman Eggleton Lectures May 24th Crop_Rotate.pdf (388.5 KB, 255 views)

Last edited by switchman2210; 06-09-2010 at 05:54 PM. Reason: Add rotated pdf
switchman2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 05:57 PM   #12
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by switchman2210 View Post
Is this what you want. I used Scansoft PDF Professional to crop/rotate the white borders of the pages.

By the way, as a guess, I would say you are studying DWDM systems?
That looks good, except it would be better to rotate counterclockwise rather than clockwise as the 600 uses CCW rotation. But that is just a personal preference.
Old 06-09-2010, 07:50 PM   #13
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Do you need to take into account the size of the bottom 'toolbar' on a PRS-600 display?
Yes. I forgot about the bottom toolbar. I think it is about 35 pixels high (at least on my 300), so that makes the actual text area of the reader appx 600x765 pixels or 3 inches x 3.83 inches. so you are correct that a 3 to 4 (or 4 to 3 ratio is slightly off.

I used the trial version of Nitro PDF Professional to rotate and crop your document (see attached).
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Raman Eggleton Lectures May 24th[1].pdf (387.8 KB, 263 views)

Last edited by jswinden; 06-11-2010 at 12:17 PM.
Old 06-10-2010, 05:45 PM   #14
switchman2210
Enthusiast
switchman2210 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.switchman2210 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.switchman2210 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.switchman2210 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.switchman2210 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Black PRS-650 with lighted cover & Kindle DX.
Try this version
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Raman Eggleton Lectures May 24th test2.pdf (388.7 KB, 389 views)
switchman2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 07:45 PM   #15
thingumybob
Junior? JUNIOR?! OK :-)
thingumybob began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 600
Correct viewing of PPT files

I think I have the solution to correct viewing on the Sony PRS 600 reader (maybe others) of PowerPoint files converted to PDF - see the post "PowerPoint to PDF - Switch off autorotate"
thingumybob is offline   Reply With Quote