Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 08-12-2010, 08:36 AM   #1
vonCZ
Connoisseur
vonCZ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vonCZ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vonCZ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPad, iPhone 4
stanza + calibre: *horribly* slow

I've the latest versions of Stanza and Calibre. When I 1)start content server on Calibre and 2)hit "get books" and go to "computers sharing books" on Stanza... it takes 5+ minutes to find my computer. The computer, wireless router, and iPad are all right here at the desk with me, and I can surf the web fine via wireless on the iPad... it's just not connecting to Calibre very well for some reason. Ideas?

Also, after I am connected, I leave them connected... even as I continue to add new books to my Calibre database. Unfortunately, as I add new books: Stanza doesn't see them. Even when I go back to "get books" and the Stanza does what appears to be a search/re-look, the new books I've added don't show up. How can I re-fresh either Stanza and/or Calibre without having to shut everything off?

ps- I'm going on 10 minutes now, still waiting for them to see each other, but wireless is otherwise working fine.
vonCZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 08:38 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Are you able to see Calibre's web server from your PC's web browser?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2010, 08:43 AM   #3
vonCZ
Connoisseur
vonCZ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vonCZ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vonCZ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

what's the address?
Old 08-12-2010, 08:45 AM   #4
vonCZ
Connoisseur

nevermind: 127.0.0.1:8080

yeah, this works.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:55 AM   #5
vonCZ
Connoisseur

I mean: the web-server works. But the hook-up time is still slow.
Advert
Old 08-12-2010, 09:33 AM   #6
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
I have had one instance last week where it took a very long 5+ minutes to connect and then an even longer time to download a book (Stanza for iPad and Calibre for Mac). I rebooted everything and it was OK the next time, although restarting may have had nothing to do with the improvement.
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 09:46 AM   #7
vonCZ
Connoisseur

Thanks, I'll try it.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:57 AM   #8
vonCZ
Connoisseur

This is still a problem for me: iPad/Stanza cannot find the shared computer/Calibre. If I re-boot the computer, it does seem to help. But if the connection is broken--if the iPad enters sleep mode for a minute or so, for example--then it takes more than 10 minutes for them to re-connect. (mind you: the WiFi connection is fine at these times and I can surf the web or even browse on-line bookstores via Stanza, I just cannot connect to my Calibre database).

Oh, another question. After uploading numerous books to my iPad, I went thru the Calibre database and made many corrections to various book tags: mispellings, author sort corrections, better title images, etc. How can I make these changes employ on the iPad/Stanza database of books? ...short of deleting/reloading those books for which I've made the changes.

In Calibre I've gone to Preferences | Add/Save | Sending to device and changed the "Metadata management" to "Automatic management"... but that didn't seem to have an effect when I had my iPad connected earlier. Does this feature work with iPads?

many thanks!
Old 08-21-2010, 12:04 AM   #9
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, lots of ancient readers
127.0.0.1 is a local address. You need your computers dhcp given (or static address). It should like something like 192.168.something.something or 10.something.something.something. You can find this by opening a command prompt and typing "ipconfig".

Add this IP in Stanza as a catalog by hitting the "edit" button and selecting "add a book source" and then enter http://192.168.something.something:8080 in the url, and put your computer's name for the name.

When it looks up your library using mdns (a weird protocol), it can sometimes take a while before it finds it due to network settings. So just add it as a catalog source. Everything will be much better. I do this on my own network, and set it up for everyone I introduce to Stanza/Calibre.
nikkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 02:50 AM   #10
vonCZ
Connoisseur

thnx bunches. I had added a catalog source, but with incorrect IP address: first the 127.0.0.1, then that of my router. All set now, though, thanks again.