Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-11-2014, 01:59 PM   #1
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
ULTIMATE KOBO

If you could design the ultimate reader what would you do?

Would you add features that are helpful?
Would you add a holographic display?
Would you add a death ray to zap those who interrupt your reading?

Come on lets have some fun be as creative and silly/serious as you like what would your "ULTIMATE KOBO" be?
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 02:53 PM   #2
Liesse
Zealot
Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Forma
Mine would have the ability to make my boss think I was doing something work related, rather than reading novels at my desk. In short, I would like a Boss Mind Control feature. This would be supplemented with a Leave Me Alone, I'm Reading feature, which would instantly make whoever was bothering me, forget what they wanted and go and bother someone else.
Would also quite like a series sort feature.
Liesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2014, 04:08 PM   #3
Joques
Addict
Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.

Device: Kobo Glo
Software featurewise, there is nothing left that I want. I just can't think of anything.

What I do want though, is the next paradigm in screens, whatever that is. Screens that are low-power and sun-viewable, like eink, but in colour and fast like an LCD. I spend a lot of time trawling the net for hi-res cover art for my books, and I'd like a colour screen that'll really make them pop :-)
Joques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 05:18 PM   #4
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I would like an ereader that "floats" so I don't have to physically hold it. Also, someway to turn pages with a "remote" (could be as simple as a one button wireless remote).

Also, more formating options.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 05:53 PM   #5
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I want a button that would deliver an annoying zap to the book's publisher each time I found a spelling mistake.

And some sort of silencer that would block the noise from the neighbour's stereo but still let me hear the birds in the garden.

But I would settle for the series sorting feature that was in firmware 2.3.x.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2014, 11:15 PM   #6
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
I want a small, light page-turning remote control.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 03:38 AM   #7
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
I'd like a direct neural feed into my central nervous system with internal tracking that follows my "gaze"... with an option to dismiss the display and have an auditory hallucination read me the book in whatever voice I'd like. Those of you that think I must already have such hallucinations know what you can do and where you can go do it... ;-)

On a more temporally realistic note, a color display that works well in and out of doors would be great, low power requirement at least as good a battery time as now, great front lighting that is about half as bright as the current minimum for a Glo, and a complete set of formatting overrides that would actually format the text as I ask for it.

If the display tech is fast enough, a common unadorned android OS that would allow use as a true tablet would be pretty neat too. If said display was flexibly backed, all the better than worrying about broken glass.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 04:17 AM   #8
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
I'll have colour, an annotation system that stores annotations in an extra html file which gets incorporated into the epub ... and the death ray, please.
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 04:35 AM   #9
psv
Connoisseur
psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, remarkable
how about just...

displaying epubs without huge footer (or header for kepubs)

an option for showing folders

a pdf viewer that can remove the margins (and, if I can dream, a support for dvju)

a dictionary which is not slower than the dictionary of Sony PRS 350 (which is almost 4 years old, and has much lower specs than any of the recent Kobos); also, when you make it faster, replace it with a better dictionary (at least the en-en dictionary is pretty weak)

this would make me perfectly happy
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 07:07 AM   #10
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Voice-activated in all commands.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 07:11 AM   #11
Joques
Addict
Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.

One cool feature would be, in books that have glossaries (fantasy, mainly) and a dramatis personae, to be able to access that just like you access the regular dictionary.

...also, alongside a nice colour screen, a shortcut button to the cover art. Like the iPad iBooks app, there is a shortcut that goes to a "cover art and table of contents" spread.
Joques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 08:53 PM   #12
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
After further consideration, I too, would like the death ray option. Or at least so stunning an implementation that merely displaying my ereader would guarantee me a few seconds head start... A bulletproof ray scattering case would be a nice option.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 10:09 AM   #13
Sharkus
Evangelist
Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Original, WiFi, Touch, Aura, Aura H20, MiniGloHD ;) iOS app
Let's see...
* LTE support
* Wireless AC support
* Super Ultra HD screen
* Light as a feather
* Nietzsche mode - as you gaze into the reader screen the reader gazes back at you.
* Hand warmer mode, for those cold, cold winter months.
* BBacklight that can be turned up to act like a small shining star
* Teleport mode - press light button and sleep button, you'll be teleported to a nice, quiet, warm, and pleasing place to read, then teleport back to wherever you were previously when you're done.
* Money printer - print me some money ($100 bills and higher only)

I think that'd do for a start.

Oh and I could not possibly comment on wether any or all of those features are on the roadmap for upcoming devices
Sharkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 03:06 PM   #14
arspr
Dead account. Bye
arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I vote for the electric shock against lazy publishers. Ortographic errors: 100V. OCR leftovers like stupid hyphens: 10000V.

Also automatic unDRM of my BOUGHT books... with 100000000V in addition against the publisher and the DRM scheme owner. (They can chose how the volts are shared among them).

And I also vote for a BIGGER footer/header. With the current size, the book main text is somehow distracting when I want to re-re-re-check the title of my current reading (my memory is not what it was any more), or the chapter or page number I'm in, (a check I also repeat about each ten words at most).

Last edited by arspr; 02-13-2014 at 05:29 PM.
arspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 05:57 PM   #15
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkus View Post
* Wireless AC support
I read that as "Wireless Air Conditioning support". Which, considering it is summer here, seemed perfectly reasonable. But, then I thought of the size of the battery needed.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote