Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-24-2013, 06:20 AM   #31
Awak
Wuxia Novels Fan
Awak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Awak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Awak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Awak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Awak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Awak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Awak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Awak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Awak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Awak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Awak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post

The author indicated that he "Did this one time when he was bored" or something similar (IIRC)
Well, I like this game so much that it is pity for the project stops there...

Hence I hope the author vanhoavn doesn't mind I try to keep the project alive

After some research and "breakthrough", I manage able to change the source code now!

Since I don't think Amazon will grant me a "developer" status, even I am a "professional" one, as a lot of people are waiting for it, I need to do a few hacks such as getting the KDK from backdoor and sign it with other people's store id...

My feeling is Amazon is on the "wrong" side of doing business - Remember how is our beloved MS Windows coming from??

In the old day, we can copy "Windows 3.1" as many as we wanted and nobody got any trouble of using an "illegal" copy. Well, when the whole world's PC is filled with Windows instead other OS, our Bill Gates becomes the richest man in the world.

Why? Because while millions copy of MS Windows are not paid, there are millions of companies and "good" men are paying it! Now, I only need to pay $15 for a legal copy of MS Office 2013 if I buy it through my working company and $45 for the latest Windows 8 on a store - Then why on earth do I need to brother using an illegal copy?

================================================== =====

See the attachment for the latest version of the Kindle Chinese Chess.

Changes in Version 0.1.0
1. Added "checked mate" message to remind user to save the King instead of misleading "invalid move" message.
2. Fix the Bug that player can select a position outside the right edge of the chessboard.
3. Changed the menu description from "Puzzle" to a more meaningful "Chose a Chess Puzzle"
4. Added a play game time at the bottom of the screen.

Install instructions

1. Delete the old file "KindleChineseChess-touch.0.0.9.azw2" from your Kindle.
2. Unzip the attached file.
2. Just copy the new file to your Kindle.

I have only Kindle PaperWhite to test the software - Don't know how it is working on other Kindle models... Can someone test it for me?

================================================== ======

Remarks:

1. Some people may not like the "game time" feature. I am also worried it may drain the battery - Not sure how the E-ink works if I just change part of the display...I will make it as an option later when I get hold of how to use a button. More good things are coming...

2. The Chess Puzzles are hard to solve - So far, I have solved one only.
Given time, I will put up all the solutions and include them in the game - But it may take a while...

3. I am still in learning process and sometimes get into trouble...

For example, I am using Windows environment for comiling the program and then use WinSCP to copy across via the usbnet. However, I have some problems when doing it:

Problem A: I cannot exit the usbnetwork mode even I type "ifconfig usb0 down". The connection to WinSCP has broken. However, when I plug and unplug the Kindle, it cannot enter the normal USB mode (appear as storage device) again. Does anybody know why?

Problem B: While using WinSCP is convient to copy the file across vis SSH link - If I am currently running the Chess Program on Kindle and replaced the azw2 file on the background via the usbnet link, I will get another identical Cover Item on the kindle when I go to Home Page again.

Now my Home Page is filled with the same program items all over the screen and cannot get rid of it even I have just one program file in the actual storage. Does anyone know how to fix it?
Attached Files
File Type: zip KindleChineseChess-touch.0.1.0.zip (219.5 KB, 274 views)
Awak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:30 AM   #32
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
One note: Watch out for WinSCP -
If it thinks it is copying a text file it will change the line endings from Unix to Windows for you.

Look in your USBstorage/documents directory -

For a book or document you will find both a book name and a directory with the same name.

Using the 'delete' on-screen function only deletes the book name, not the directory. Manually delete the directory yourself.

The leaving behind of the directory is designed in -
That allows the firmware to send your annotations, bookmarks and reading times to Amazon, even after you deleted the book.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2013, 09:53 AM   #33
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awak View Post
Well, I like this game so much that it is pity for the project stops there...

Hence I hope the author vanhoavn doesn't mind I try to keep the project alive

After some research and "breakthrough", I manage able to change the source code now!
Spoiler:

Since I don't think Amazon will grant me a "developer" status, even I am a "professional" one, as a lot of people are waiting for it, I need to do a few hacks such as getting the KDK from backdoor and sign it with other people's store id...

..MS STUFF...

================================================== =====

See the attachment for the latest version of the Kindle Chinese Chess.

Changes in Version 0.1.0
1. Added "checked mate" message to remind user to save the King instead of misleading "invalid move" message.
2. Fix the Bug that player can select a position outside the right edge of the chessboard.
3. Changed the menu description from "Puzzle" to a more meaningful "Chose a Chess Puzzle"
4. Added a play game time at the bottom of the screen.

Install instructions

1. Delete the old file "KindleChineseChess-touch.0.0.9.azw2" from your Kindle.
2. Unzip the attached file.
2. Just copy the new file to your Kindle.

I have only Kindle PaperWhite to test the software - Don't know how it is working on other Kindle models... Can someone test it for me?

================================================== ======

Remarks:

1. Some people may not like the "game time" feature. I am also worried it may drain the battery - Not sure how the E-ink works if I just change part of the display...I will make it as an option later when I get hold of how to use a button. More good things are coming...

2. The Chess Puzzles are hard to solve - So far, I have solved one only.
Given time, I will put up all the solutions and include them in the game - But it may take a while...

3. I am still in learning process and sometimes get into trouble...

For example, I am using Windows environment for comiling the program and then use WinSCP to copy across via the usbnet. However, I have some problems when doing it:

Problem A: I cannot exit the usbnetwork mode even I type "ifconfig usb0 down". The connection to WinSCP has broken. However, when I plug and unplug the Kindle, it cannot enter the normal USB mode (appear as storage device) again. Does anybody know why?

Problem B: While using WinSCP is convient to copy the file across vis SSH link - If I am currently running the Chess Program on Kindle and replaced the azw2 file on the background via the usbnet link, I will get another identical Cover Item on the kindle when I go to Home Page again.

Now my Home Page is filled with the same program items all over the screen and cannot get rid of it even I have just one program file in the actual storage. Does anyone know how to fix it?
OKAY... Lets take this one by one.

KDK: Yes it is unlikely you will be offered a KDK place (this is entirely based on my opinion). Amazons "positioning" policy aside they just don't seem to be pushing this side of things. I'll leave that there. Let's just accept it and move on.

Bugfixes: Nice one. They were as you say errant and annoying.

Game timer: Like I said before.. better to update the screen every 15 seconds not every second. yes it will kill the battery.

one might run gasgauge-info -i 15 -c in an SSH session to observe the drain every 15 seconds...
to get a sense of the actual drain occurring... ( I just did this wasn't a MAJOR drain but would no doubt get annoying if you played for hours)

EXAMPLE: NOT PLAYING GAME - JUST UPDATING TIMER ON SCREEN
Spoiler:
[root@kindle root]# gasgauge-info -i 15 -c
67%
67%
67%
67%
67%
67%
67%
67%
67%
67%
67%
67%
67%
67%
67%
67%
67%
67%
67%
67%
67%
67%
67%
67%
67%
67%
67%
67%
67%
67%
67%
67% <-- This is an actual test report... it's droppped 1% here
66%
66%
66%
66%
66%
66%
66%
66%
66%
66%
66%
66%
66%
66%
66%
66%
66%
66%
66%
66%
66%
66%
66%
66%
66%
66%
66%
66%
66%
66%
66%
66%
66%
66%
66%
66%
66%
66%
66%
66%
66%
66%
66%
66%
66%
66%
65% <-- This is an actual test report... it's droppped 1% here
65%

That's about 1% every 10 minutes... :O

I can confirm that running DOOM will flatten a FULL battery in about 5 hours.
(to give you a sense of some testing metrics for screen refresh.)

Touch: yup testing it on a touch now. works fine. It worked okay before - assuming you don't mangle the layout it should continue to work just fine on there...

WinSCP: Hmm - Yeah - it's a bit sucky - I use it under Wine on Linux myself for transferring to the touch.

Make sure you have the SHOW HIDDEN FILES option turned on. [pictured]

USBNET: use KUAL to bring it up and down. then you get nice messages to help you know what is going on. I suspect it may be something to do with your USBNET config. but without actually LOOKING AT IT I am just guessing.

As KNC1 said - if you transfer files OFF OF THE KINDLE - onto WINDOWS (or a FAT partition) the chances are it WILL CONVERT THE LINE ENDINGS TO MS and also it will convert symbolic links to ACTUAL FILES (I use it to do this on purpose but you may not want this)

PROBLEM B: so you see a whole bunch of copies???
My guess? Then you really DO have multiple copies of things on there...
Try running KTERM via KUAL then do a search like:

[#] ls /mnt/us/documents/Kindle*.azw2

example:
[root@kindle root]# ls /mnt/us/documents/*.azw2
Quote:
/mnt/us/documents/KindleChineseChess-touch.0.0.9.azw2
/mnt/us/documents/KindleChineseChess-touch.0.1.0.azw2
/mnt/us/documents/KindleLauncher-2.0.azw2
chances are you have a few copies in there.

FINAL POINT: The OP was kind enough to share the source (after I tracked him down) - please do the same it's really tough to give you ACTUAL input at a code level without seeing it...

AND TO BE HONEST I don't like running things that I can't see the source code of. Please share it if you want continued support.

All in - good work!!! share the code and you can get better support.

Provide SCREENSHOTS of errant things and ensure SHOW HIDDEN FILES is turned ON everywhere you can find it.

Heck, you are a developer you say so much of this will no doubt be second nature but hey... you asked.

Might I also suggest you update the AUTHOR tag in not just the game itself but also outside the game (The author info is currently just the old one and does not match the inside of the game)

Hope that helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_224.png
Views:	281
Size:	11.5 KB
ID:	101895  

Last edited by twobob; 02-24-2013 at 03:06 PM.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:16 PM   #34
Awak
Wuxia Novels Fan
Awak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Awak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Awak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Awak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Awak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Awak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Awak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Awak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Awak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Awak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Awak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

knc1:

Thanks for your advices, I have learn something from it. Thanks again!

twobob:

I have problem of using KUAL. When I choose an item on the menu, it just display a line very quickly at the bottom of the screen and then disappear. But nothing is executed - I suspect I get the application directory structure wrong inside the "extension" directory...

I have no problem of putting the source code on the internet as the Chess Engine is GNU license anyway, but need some time to learn how to do it - Such as setting up an account on github.com wed site and put the code there...

However, one thing should note: The original code is compiled under Unix environment, I have changed the building process to Window environment and hence the post-compile scripts are different, hope people don't mind about it....

Just curiously, do you guys running "cgwin" or actually has a Linux hard disk partition in your PC to develop programs?
Old 02-24-2013, 09:20 PM   #35
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Okay.. so Regarding KUAL: please show me the config pair you are using.
(Personal Message is fine)

I provide the "helper scripts" for exactly this purpose.
a) check KUAL is working (had no complaints recently)
b) something to copy from.

Regarding Source code: Nice one. will keep an eye out for it. GitHub is probably easiest for everyone... including you.

I run pure Ubuntu linux Mint 32 bit. <-- Favourite
I have run cygwin in the long-ago past. <-- meh. it was okay, did the job I suppose.
I run Win7 Ultimate 64 bit and Visual Studio 2010 / 2012 for windowsy projects. <-- if I have to.

Trying to recall a build script. Its about 10-20 lines of shell code IIRC. I have lot's of examples of other Hello Worlds (on here no doubt also) so I personally don't mind (and I will probably provide Unix alternatives if I ever get the time)

Glad you are happy, nice changes : )) Not sure I ever said that

Very happy to help debug KUAL. It's usually something tiny.

: )

Last edited by twobob; 02-24-2013 at 09:31 PM.
Advert
Old 02-24-2013, 09:50 PM   #36
Awak
Wuxia Novels Fan

About the Game Time feature: If it drains battery that much, I will display the game time only when the game is finished.

The idea of having Game Time is I have plans in future that players can edit or load a Chess Game from a file themselves, then they can competite with each other to see who can win the game in shortest time!

About the "AUTHOR tag", I don't know how to change it on the "TOP" level so that the Title is different in the Cover View. I suspect it is something to do with the Keystore when you sign the application and I cannot do anything about it...
Old 02-24-2013, 09:54 PM   #37
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Just curiously, do you guys running "cgwin" or actually has a Linux hard disk partition in your PC to develop programs?
Is there another operating system?
I mean other than Linux.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:59 PM   #38
twobob

Quote:
About the Game Time feature: If it drains battery that much, I will display the game time only when the game is finished.

The idea of having Game Time is I have plans in future that players can edit or load a Chess Game from a file themselves, then they can competite with each other to see who can win the game in shortest time!

About the "AUTHOR tag", I don't know how to change it on the "TOP" level so that the Title is different in the Cover View. I suspect it is something to do with the Keystore when you sign the application and I cannot do anything about it...
RE TITLE: hmm.. let me go look it up. it's something simple. a text file.
It's been a while since I did kindlets. AH RIGHT FOUND IT change it in there. (Implementation-Vendor: vhnvn)

RE TIMER: probably not a bad plan. although 1 update per minute really wouldn't hurt...

RE GAME LOADNG: nice idea. given the minimal data required (limited spaces and piece types) it shouldn't be too painful

I did try to start to learn the game, Need more time.
REALLY COULD DO WITH A TIME TURNER

If I can be of any help at all. don't hesitate to ask.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_231.png
Views:	664
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	101927  

Last edited by twobob; 02-24-2013 at 10:04 PM. Reason: Implementation-Vendor: vhnvn
Old 02-24-2013, 10:10 PM   #39
Awak
Wuxia Novels Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Is there another operating system?
I mean other than Linux.
Yip! You may surprise how people do it today!

I know people has changed the PS3 (yes, the one that Sony made to play video game) into an Unix environment development machine....although they still call it Linux.

"Ubuntu" is another UNIX like OS that twobob is using.

Some of the mobile phones is running "Ubuntu" too, not sure whether we can develop program from a phone or not...
Old 02-24-2013, 10:17 PM   #40
twobob

He was being ironic

Knc1 would probably never admit to it... but I think we all have a Windows skeleton somewhere in our closet.

RE: developing stuff for phones. yes, in fact with the current toolset I have (win and Unix combined) the only target that I can think of that I can't develop for would be an iPhone. Peronsally I am in "No great rush" to get involved with that though.

spent a year building Xbox games a couple of years ago. that was fun.

So yeah... if it runs code we can build for it. (see the QT threads for example)

Heck I even managed to splatter QT 4.8.3 onto a 3 one time for a laugh
Spoiler:

: ) if it can be done? we can do it. (it just takes a loooooong time with no help)

Last edited by twobob; 02-24-2013 at 10:39 PM. Reason: (it just takes a loooooong time with no help)
Old 02-24-2013, 10:35 PM   #41
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Some of the mobile phones is running "Ubuntu" too, not sure whether we can develop program from a phone or not...
Lots of people here waiting for it to happen, but not many workers volunteering their time.

I do have threads here about both a kTizen and a Ubuntu Mobile for the Kindles.
But even with automated build and port systems (which both have) - -
It is still no small project. At a minimum, 6 people, each very good in their own field.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:50 PM   #42
twobob

Quote:
I have problem of using KUAL. When I choose an item on the menu, it just display a line very quickly at the bottom of the screen and then disappear. But nothing is executed - I suspect I get the application directory structure wrong inside the "extension" directory...
Ah right... yeah.. POSSIBLY if you are attempting to run via SHELL SCRIPT: run dos2unix over the files... shell scripts wont run if you don't have the right LINE ENDINGS

Winscp mangles them ALL THE TIME - it is most annoying.

here's an example:
[root@kindle explorer]# pwd
Quote:
/mnt/us/extensions/explorer
[root@kindle explorer]# bin/explorer.sh
Quote:
-sh: bin/explorer.sh: not found
(so the line endings are wrong)

[root@kindle explorer]# dos2unix bin/explorer.sh
[root@kindle explorer]# bin/explorer.sh
Quote:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~| DirectFB 1.2.0
(c) 2001-2008 The world wide DirectFB Open Source Community
(c) 2000-2004 Convergence (integrated media) GmbH
----------------------------------------------------------------

etc...
perhaps that is it.

dos2unix (built for all devices) is attached to the second post in the KUAL thread

Last edited by twobob; 02-24-2013 at 10:54 PM.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:01 PM   #43
Awak
Wuxia Novels Fan

Thanks for your help. I will try it when I can reach my "Home" computer which is around six hours later...

The problems appear before I use the WinSCP and I have installed Kindlepdfview BEFORE installed KUAL.

There is a KITE directory create when installing Kindlepdfview - I suspect the two launchpad LITE and KUAL are conflict with each other...

Do I need to get ride of KITE in order to use KUAL? Or they can exist at the same time??
Old 02-24-2013, 11:07 PM   #44
twobob

should be fine.

I think you are suffering WINSCP Line endings destruction
Old 02-25-2013, 02:23 PM   #45
Awak
Wuxia Novels Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
Okay.. so Regarding KUAL: please show me the config pair you are using.
: )
What is "config pair"?

OK twobob, here is my test result when using Putty -

================================================== ========

If I type "dos2unix", I will get

-sh: dos2unix: not found

If I type "sh dos2unix", I will get

dos2unix: line 1: syntax error: unexpected word (expecting ")")

If I type "sh calc.sh", I will get

calc.sh: line 6: /mnt/us/extensions/../etcl/bin/etcl: not found

If I type "sh explorer.sh", I will get

: not found: line 2:
explorer.sh: cd: line 3: can't cd to /mnt/us

================================================== ========

Does it make any sense to you?