Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 01-04-2011, 10:25 AM   #16
crowman28
crowman28 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle IPhone
Pleasant Suprise

Ok so i just meddled with this for a bit and found a way that worked for me since I couldn't figure out mobi2mobi (running mac osx 10.6.3)

All I did was use calibre to transfer whatever file to mobi, and picked my cover image.

were going to pretend the name of my book was title.

Once I got the title.mobi file and the cover.jpg i tried something stupid. I changed the file name of "cover.jpg" to "title.mbp" and used iphone explorer to put both of them into the ebook folder as described above.

and odd enough it worked! repeated for a few ebooks to verify. Try it out and let me know if it works for you!
crowman28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 01:47 AM   #17
wirehead
wirehead began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by crowman28 View Post

Once I got the title.mobi file and the cover.jpg i tried something stupid. I changed the file name of "cover.jpg" to "title.mbp" and used iphone explorer to put both of them into the ebook folder as described above.

and odd enough it worked! repeated for a few ebooks to verify. Try it out and let me know if it works for you!
didn't work 4 me-Y not just add the cover in Calibre...
wirehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2011, 02:11 AM   #18
orwell2k
Addict
orwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheese

Device: PocketBook 360°, BeBook (Hanlin V3), iRex DR1000S, iPad
Not sure if this is already known or if it is a new feature, but I just updated the Kindle iPad app to v2.5.0.37 and it allows me to drop non-DRM Mobi files directly into the app via iTunes. Is this a new feature or could the app always do this?

I was under the impression there was no easy option for reading Mobi directly on iPad, but with this Kindle app update it seems there is now - at least, for basic reading/annotating it's probably sufficient if users don't wish to convert to ePub via calibre, etc.

I still will purchase ePub whenever possible, but at least it provides a good option now - good news (for me anyway)!
orwell2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 09:13 AM   #19
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

As noted by @orwell2k, sideloading is now officially supported in the latest release of Kindle for iPad, so there's no longer any need to fiddle with the ASIN - just drag 'n drop your MOBIs into the iTunes DEVICES|Apps|File Sharing|Kindle|Kindle Documents window.

G
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 09:19 AM   #20
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
so there's no longer any need to fiddle with the ASIN - just drag 'n drop your MOBIs into the iTunes DEVICES|Apps|File Sharing|Kindle|Kindle Documents window.
The ASIN and the CDETYPE EXTH records still need to be fiddled with... if you hope to synchronize "Furthest Page Read" across multiple devices with Non-Amazon mobi's.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 01-11-2011 at 09:22 AM.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2011, 09:35 AM   #21
GRiker
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
The ASIN and the CDETYPE EXTH records still need to be fiddled with... if you hope to synchronize "Furthest Page Read" across multiple devices with Non-Amazon mobi's.
Of course you're correct, I was only thinking of the problem with covers.

G
Old 01-11-2011, 09:45 AM   #22
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRiker
Of course you're correct, I was only thinking of the problem with covers.
My mistake... I came to the conversation too late.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 09:50 AM   #23
cgould
cgould began at the beginning.

I followed these tips. Using iPhone Explorer, Kindle can be found in a folder called com.amazon.Lassen. That folder contains folders labelled Documents, Kindle app, and Library. I used the path com.amazon.lassen/documents/eBooks and copied my MOBI files there.

Assuming that was the correct path; how do I open the MOBI file on my iPad? I can't figure out how to access the files from the device.
cgould is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:00 AM   #24
GRiker

The early instructions are obsolete. See post #19.

G
Old 01-31-2011, 08:17 PM   #25
m0ngr31
Connoisseur
m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
crowman, check out my thread here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=117645

It will link you to howto install mobi2mobi on mac and automatically edit the meta data for you.
m0ngr31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 02:06 PM   #26
CuriousGrrl
Kindle lover/Linux user
CuriousGrrl began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2i
As of Calibre v0.7.44, the metadata changes required for "Furthest Page Read" syncing are now supported. When a book is converted to .mobi, Calibre automatically updates EXTH 113 & 501 so that Kindle and Kindle apps will sync your furthest page read across devices.

Now that Kindle for iPhone/iPad supports non-Amazon .mobi files, you only need to access those files (i use Dropbox or email the .mobi files to myself as attachments) on your iDevice, and you should be offered the option to open the file in Kindle reader app.
CuriousGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 10:23 AM   #27
rverstee
rverstee began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
You can also download mobi files directly to your iPad using Good Reader. Then use the "Open in" option and select Kindle.
rverstee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 07:27 AM   #28
Jojolobo
Jojolobo began at the beginning.

Smile Thanks

That was really useful information. Have managed to add books to my iPad and iPhone but eBooks was in Kindle/library rather than documents. You have to exit Kindle on iPad then open it again before they sync.
Kindle won't sync the books I've added between devices it seems but that doesn't bother me. So satisfying when something works easily.
E
Jojolobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 07:31 AM   #29
Jojolobo
Jojolobo began at the beginning.

Sorry, just realised wasn't clear about what was useful info!
From GRiker, I downloaded iPhone explorer and dragged .mobi files to Kindle/library/eBooks.
Jojolobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 05:54 AM   #30
jencymikki
jencymikki began at the beginning.

Device: none
It turns out that the best new feature of the updated Kindle app–the ability to open external Kindle formatted titles from an email or a website–isn’t so great after all. My hope is that this is a bug and not a deliberate restriction, but we’ll have to wait for another update to find out.What’s supposed to happen is this: you find an .azw or .mobi file online or included as an email attachment, and when you tap it you get an option to open that file in your Kindle app.

Last edited by poohbear_nc; 08-09-2011 at 07:57 AM. Reason: External link removed by moderator.
jencymikki is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ipad kindle