Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-17-2009, 03:37 AM   #1
lev
Zealot
lev has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lev has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lev has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: none
Fetching BBC with calibre too long???

hi all,

I'm trying to fetch BBC news with calibre but so far no luck. last time I tried, it processed for 30 minutes and by looking at the progress bar it was still around 10%!. I figure with that speed it would take at least 4-5 hrs...

Is everyone having the same problem with BBC? or is it my internet speed thats causing the problem?
with other news such as NYT, Washington Post, Newsweek...etc I don't have any trouble fetching them at all. only BBC, which I would love to have on my reader daily..
lev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 06:13 AM   #2
Javed
Grand Sorcerer
Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO, iPod Touch, PRS-650
Not long ago it took me 33 minutes to dl the BBC, which is a 8.4MB size file. In comparison, it took me only about 2 minutes to dl a smaller news item, at a different source, of 0.4MB.
Javed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2009, 07:27 AM   #3
lev
Zealot
lev has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lev has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lev has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javed View Post
Not long ago it took me 33 minutes to dl the BBC, which is a 8.4MB size file. In comparison, it took me only about 2 minutes to dl a smaller news item, at a different source, of 0.4MB.
I have the same experience as you with most newspapers and magazines taking around 2-3 minutes. but your 30 minutes of BBC sounds much better than my 3 tries so far...
lev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 12:29 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Note that the actual fetching finishes at 34%

I just tried the BBC and it took about half an hour for me as well.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote