Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 06-09-2008, 06:28 PM   #1
sputnik
Enthusiast
sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

Device: EB 1150, iLiad
iLiad through airport security

I will travel with the iLiad and I am a bit concerned about the possibility that the X-ray machine that scans the baggage might damage the device. I know that the iLiad screen is affected by direct sunlight and I'm thinking that this may be a real possibility. Is there anyone who can confirm the behavior of their iLiad through the X-ray scan at the airport? Is this scan potentially damaging? Thanks!
sputnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 05:00 AM   #2
-RenE-
-RenE- began at the beginning.

Device: Irex Iliad
I have had my Iliad scanned several times at the airport (as hand luggage) without any negative/noticeable effects.
-RenE- is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2008, 05:07 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
I will travel with the iLiad and I am a bit concerned about the possibility that the X-ray machine that scans the baggage might damage the device. I know that the iLiad screen is affected by direct sunlight and I'm thinking that this may be a real possibility. Is there anyone who can confirm the behavior of their iLiad through the X-ray scan at the airport? Is this scan potentially damaging? Thanks!
The low-energy X-rays that airport scanners use are not going to do the slightest damage to either the machine's flash memory or the screen. Don't worry about it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 10:48 AM   #4
Boris
Enthusiast
Boris began at the beginning.

Device: Tablet PC, a broken Iliad V2
Mine's been fine passing through airport scanners 5 days a week for the past 9 months. No problems that I've noticed
Boris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 11:03 AM   #5
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E/HD, Kindle PW
I'd be more worried about airport security (read TSA in the US) confiscating your ebook reader because of so-called "copyright" issues.

http://www.teleread.org/blog/2008/06...your-e-reader/
JeffElkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2008, 01:23 PM   #6
DeGodefroi
Zealot
DeGodefroi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite (had Illiad)
Well,
I utterly despise the TSA. Moronic burger flippers who damaged a lot of my stuff due unnecessary checks and such.
I even filed a damages complaint and guess what? I am not USA citizen so I could just fu** off.
So, they will never ever get their dirty hands on my Iliad. Or laptop.
If they complain about a copy right infringment..hell what has that to do with security? And I will gladly delete any dangerous files if they deem needed. but I will do that.

Ofcourse I might be chained and jailed by "obstructing security and crap" wouldn't be surprised.
DeGodefroi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 01:56 PM   #7
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Airport Schmairport - For real security checks, try the Georgia Aquarium. They completely overdo it. They made me throw out an opened pack of gum!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 08:58 PM   #8
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Airport Schmairport - For real security checks, try the Georgia Aquarium. They completely overdo it. They made me throw out an opened pack of gum!
Seriously?? They didn't give me any grief over anything I had in my pack ... and that included gum and lord knows what else.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 09:06 PM   #9
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
However, on the issue of confiscation of laptops or iPods or ebooks based on copyright infringement?? I don't see that as being workable ... I really don't. For one thing, I've got more files on my laptop/iPod/PDA/Kindle than the TSA could search in several days. Then, you expect me to believe they are going to check the copyright status of every one of those files?? So, they are going to either (1) just confiscate electronics for the heck of it or (2) make every other random person miss their flight while all their files are checked??

I really doubt it. Even the TSA is subject to the rules regarding "unreasonable search and seizure." And, what's more, the sad thing is that anyone who really is transporting pirated media can easily circumvent the thing ... just ship your media ahead via FedEx.

Well .... it's a stupid idea anyway. Invented by people who understand next to nothing about what they are trying to legislate. But, in the long run, here in the US we have brought it upon ourselves by electing so many morons to office.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote