Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-21-2008, 11:15 PM   #1
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
IMOD, yet another paper like display type

http://www.engadget.com/2008/05/21/q...asol-displays/

http://www.qualcomm.com/press/releas...r_Display.html

http://www.mirasoldisplays.com/

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 08:38 AM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
in color !!

hopefully they're not exclusively interested in making displays for "virtually indestructible mp3 players"...

i would be interested to hear how this technology compares to e-ink in terms of contrast, refresh rate, resolution, price, etc.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2008, 11:57 AM   #3
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Excellent! I remember when MiraSol first appeared here, it was very exciting, and still is. A very promising approach, in my opinion. I'm glad to see they're to the stage of an actual product.

For general consideration: I believe the first commercial e-ink application was a flash-drive that had a "fullness" meter on the side, so you could see how much space you had left on it. It preceded full-on e-ink reading devices by ... less than a year, I'm thinking, but the memory is fuzzy, so ....

No reason that this one would follow the same path, but I still find it encouraging.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 11:59 AM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
in color !!

hopefully they're not exclusively interested in making displays for "virtually indestructible mp3 players"...

i would be interested to hear how this technology compares to e-ink in terms of contrast, refresh rate, resolution, price, etc.
I think this tech is for smaller size displays at first... phones, MP3 players, info displays on various devices. But, I am sure as the tech advances it could be scaled up to 6inch size. Perhaps it already can, I don't know.

BOb
Old 05-22-2008, 12:07 PM   #5
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I've forgotten now (and I'm too lazy to look it up). Is this the one that was developed after studying butterfly wings? My main concern is that it not involve moving parts (as e ink does), because I think there will always be refresh rate problems on such systems.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2008, 12:08 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
I've forgotten now (and I'm too lazy to look it up). Is this the one that was developed after studying butterfly wings?
Yes. Although I don't know how the butterfly wings relate to the tech.

BOb
Old 05-22-2008, 12:09 PM   #7
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
yes it was (they have butterflies all over their website, and their slogan is "inspired by nature"). but i don't know about how the technology works... i'll have to go back and see whether they explain it in detail somewhere.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 12:14 PM   #8
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
If I recall... well, not "correctly," but "vaguely correctly"... the butterfly wing was the source of the idea of using light waves that interfere with each other to produce specific colors. But I think in the original description they talked about changing surface angles within the display to change colors. That made me wonder if the colors would look the same from all angles. I guess if it's wavelength interference creating the color, the viewing angle might not matter. But if they have to manipulate a reflecting surface to change the interference pattern, I hope whatever they're using has a fast response time. I love e ink, but the response time is kind of annoying sometimes.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote