Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 08-24-2013, 09:50 AM   #1
tarvoke
Dog Dentist
tarvoke began at the beginning.

Device: PE, GT540, VM670, GOGHVMU, Qualcomm 1600
Exclamation looking for Golden Allmine RC3?

my PE had a weird moment yesterday (THERE. ARE. FOUR. LIGHTS.), and I could not for the life of me find a copy of golden allmine to DL. all of the usual archives seem to have gone dark, and some kind people did post links towards the end of some of the threads, but those are dead now too.

I know I could have used Allmine Universal, or the regular Allmine which ktwombley still hosts, but for some reason (that I can't remember) I prefer pablob's later version.

ennaways, the point is that I was lucky enough to scrounge up a copy of golden allmine rc3 from a backup drive, and so now I'm hosting it for the 1 or 2 people on the planet that may ever need it. (pablob, ktwombley, anyone else with some claim on the work, if there's any issue about me hosting the files, just say the word and I'll take it down)

remember, this version is PE-only, you WILL brick an EE or at least Something Very Bad. (also, it comes pre-rooted, Nota Bene to all the root-haters out there)

so, finally, here.
(this is pablob's original help-file from inside the zip, updated slightly with md5 sums and zipfile links to my host for RC3 and to goo.im for gapps - hope that's ok pablob)

*** consume at your own risk. I installed from these very same files, just yesterday, and all became well. but if your dog mis-uses the toaster and you get burnt toast or if aliens take over your town or if random neutrinos cause parity errors in RAM, you're kinda on your own. ***
tarvoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 10:07 AM   #2
tarvoke
Dog Dentist

O, and for whatever reason, I had zero luck with micro SD, but my ever-reliable 4gb hp v165w did just fine. (3 times, in fact - to be 100% safe I went: golden dingo, stock ermine, golden allmine)
Advert
Old 09-03-2013, 10:14 PM   #3
Triskalleon
Enthusiast
Triskalleon began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks, tarvoke. For some reason, I had never done that last update. Finally have access to the market, went off without a hitch following your instructions, so all's good once again.

I'm curious to see if it will update to Google Play. According to an article I read at Ars, updates are going back to Eclair and Froyo. Now I really need to adjust some power settings. Sigh. These defaults...
Triskalleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:27 PM   #4
Triskalleon
Enthusiast

And it says... "Android Market is upgrading to Google Play. Learn more."
Old 09-04-2013, 03:54 AM   #5
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Thank you so much!

I still haven't updated beyond Ermine and maybe never will, but it's nice to know I can!!
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2013, 04:12 PM   #6
Triskalleon
Enthusiast

So... I have Google Play Services running now on the PE. That will help the Google apps stay as up-to-date as possible on this old device. Still no support for my Verizon cellular modem (USB727), which has been missing since Dingo. I'm thinking of replacing it with a MyFi, which would offer quite a bit more flexibility with devices, but the reviews for all of them seem pretty terrible. Besides, my old affordable 5-GB plan doesn't seem to be offered anymore. Sigh.
Old 09-08-2013, 06:34 PM   #7
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
Just remember that some of the newer apps break older versions of Android especially ours because it is very modified to interact with the e-ink screen - newest is not always best.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:35 PM   #8
Triskalleon
Enthusiast

Thanks. I just hope that play services won't "silently" download any core stuff that isn't compatible. Surely it knows what Android version it is running on. I don't think it's likely that Google apps are going to break PE stuff. (But it could happen.)

Still this has got me playing with the PE again.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:23 AM   #9
tarvoke
Dog Dentist

even back before allmine, when we were all rooting ourselves and messing with build.prop and whatnot to get Market and gapps working, was around the same time google changed market to google Play - and the Market app on the PE would automatically upgrade itself to Play even back then.

I've never seen market/play upgrade anything (aside from itself) without asking, so I think that much should be safe. (unless you have automatic updates turned on, of course. but I think by default it is off, and asks you if you want to upgrade stuff)

the only 2 softwares I know for sure that have broken my PE are:
- letting kindle app upgrade to newer versions, then trying to run it
- letting google reader upgrade to newer versions, then trying to run it
in both cases the app would crash my PE and in the process make it unbootable due to system corruption.

I have gmail and google voice updated to latest, and they are fine.

I haven't upgraded google talk to hangouts or whatever the new version is, partially because I don't use talk so much anymore, partly because I'm sure they added crap or bloat to it, and mostly because I worry if they added UI bits that are technically compatible with 2.2.1 but functionally vs. the PE will not work (this slight mismatch in UI APIs is why latest kindle and google reader are broken. corrupting the PE memory is just some weird bonus)

I regret not having a backup of kindle, or at least I should have written down the version number of the older version that worked properly. really not willing to try the latest from the store, after what happened last time... :-(

actually I really, really regret it, because kindle was my main use of the PE for a long time now. had even been meaning to get it working with the lcd2eink stuff.

EDIT:

ha ha, I must be blind. but also lucky. just noticed helf's thread right next to this one, sounds like the latest kindle works again after all. before seeing that thread, I'd considered trying it, but really did not feel brave enough.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=2620635
/EDIT

Last edited by tarvoke; 09-11-2013 at 11:32 AM.
Old 09-13-2013, 01:44 AM   #10
helf
Zealot
helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Entourage Pocket eDGe, Entourage eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
I don't think Hangouts will load on 2.2. I haven't tried yet and probably never will. I have a Samsung Note II and Hangouts runs like absolute garbage on it. Really pathetic.
helf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 02:51 PM   #11
Triskalleon
Enthusiast

Well, Google Play had a bunch of updates for the PE, including ES File and Docs to Go - stuff that came on the PE. To my surprise, Facebook (Facebook? What Facebook?) and Twitter (What Twitter?) were included. Hmm... where are they? Found them and, surprise, surprise, all the buttons are greyed out. Can't delete them.
Old 09-14-2013, 09:35 AM   #12
tarvoke
Dog Dentist

if you're talking about what I think you mean, Facebook, Twitter, and some other things are installed as system apps. you may need root to delete them, and possibly something like Titanium Backup to make it easier (although ES File should be able to as well)

speaking of ES File, not only is it one of my favorite programs, but I love how they have the right idea of keeping the program simple/generic enough to have the latest version still work perfectly with much older Android.

Tags
allmine, edgejr, golden, pocket