Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 01-20-2012, 10:18 PM   #61
j0534ng31
Connoisseur
j0534ng31 can extract oil from cheesej0534ng31 can extract oil from cheesej0534ng31 can extract oil from cheesej0534ng31 can extract oil from cheesej0534ng31 can extract oil from cheesej0534ng31 can extract oil from cheesej0534ng31 can extract oil from cheesej0534ng31 can extract oil from cheesej0534ng31 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-T1 black
Quote:
Originally Posted by giosa View Post
Thanks. I did install mod reader. I tried sylfaen.ttf it shows fonts correctly. But it crashes when I try to go to notes to see if my bookmarks show correct characters. Any suggestion?
wait for a new version... or read rupor post (3 post above)
j0534ng31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 11:45 PM   #62
snarkophilus
Wannabe Connoisseur
snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura 2, Sony PRS-T1, Sony PRS-350, Palm TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
I just tried this out. I have my default size set to 4.
If I open a new book with the default reader the book opens at size 4.
If I open a new book with the modified reader the book opens at size 2.
Do I care? No, not really, because once you set the size for a book it's remembered forever after. If this is the tiny price I pay to get all your improvements I'll take it any day (IMO only of course).
I finally got this working with a book that had been freshly sent to the T1 and can so reproduce what Jackie can see too at last. For some reason it didn't seem to work on an unread book that was previously on my T1, but I'm more than happy to call that user error.

Morkl - is there a way to override the location of your version of the app's shared prefs to look in /data/data/com.sony.drbd.ebook.reader/shared_prefs/com.sony.drbd.ebook.reader_preferences.xml instead? This would mean though that you'd need to have changed the permissions on a file which means it would only work on rooted T1's. I don't know what happens if you can't read your shared prefs (hopefully not a force close).

Also, I guess what Jackie said about this being a rather minor point in the scheme of things is worth remembering. It could be a lot of effort for a little payback!

Cheers,
Simon.
snarkophilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2012, 02:17 AM   #63
giosa
Connoisseur
giosa exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovergiosa exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovergiosa exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovergiosa exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovergiosa exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovergiosa exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovergiosa exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovergiosa exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovergiosa exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovergiosa exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovergiosa exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Sony PRS T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by j0534ng31 View Post
wait for a new version... or read rupor post (3 post above)
I've uninstalled it. I've minimal root zeam. When I try to launch stock reader from app's list it does not start. When I go to books collection it works fine.

Could anybody with minimal root zeam confirm the same behavior of the stock reader app. Thanks
giosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 09:14 PM   #64
Morkl
Connoisseur
Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.

Device: PRS-T1
New version posted, more info here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rupor View Post
Why not to sign your app with the same key Sony does? To the best of my knowledge they are using testing keys from CyanogenMod project, you just have to be careful which key to use with which application (see keys.txt in my SVN), that all. If you will re-sign EbookSettings - your reader may start working, but other applications will lose - or are you going to re-sign all of them?
I had no idea they used publicly available keys; thanks for pointing it out! New releases will be signed with those keys, then (the ones I just posted included).

Quote:
Originally Posted by giosa View Post
Thanks. I did install mod reader. I tried sylfaen.ttf it shows fonts correctly. But it crashes when I try to go to notes to see if my bookmarks show correct characters. Any suggestion?
I haven't been able to reproduce this. Does it happen with any file, or just some?

Also: notes and TOC seem to me like they display Unicode fine, even in the stock Reader? A TOC that is displayed as part of the book will have to be rendered with a font containing the characters in question though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarkophilus View Post
I finally got this working with a book that had been freshly sent to the T1 and can so reproduce what Jackie can see too at last. For some reason it didn't seem to work on an unread book that was previously on my T1, but I'm more than happy to call that user error.

Morkl - is there a way to override the location of your version of the app's shared prefs to look in /data/data/com.sony.drbd.ebook.reader/shared_prefs/com.sony.drbd.ebook.reader_preferences.xml instead? This would mean though that you'd need to have changed the permissions on a file which means it would only work on rooted T1's. I don't know what happens if you can't read your shared prefs (hopefully not a force close).

Also, I guess what Jackie said about this being a rather minor point in the scheme of things is worth remembering. It could be a lot of effort for a little payback!

Cheers,
Simon.
Default font size setting works when the package signed with the same key as EbookSetting and installed with the same package name as stock EbookReader (com.drbd.ebook.reader is hardcoded in EbookSetting, I'm afraid). Like the one I just posted
Morkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:47 AM   #65
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morkl View Post
New version posted, more info here.
Bravo, Morkl

I love the new customised font-sizes. I can now get the perfect size for my 7 different customised font-faces in varying lighting conditions without needing to reconnect to the PC. The Sony 'set default font-size' also works for me.

If you don't mind, I have a couple of questions about the reader.xml file. So far I made my changes to section <fontSizeTableEpub> only:
  • What do sections <fontSizeTable>, <fontSizeTableXmdf> and <fontSizeTableDotbook> control?
  • For fontsize sections I am not intending to change, e.g. <fontSizeTablePdf>, can these sections be removed from reader.xml so that they default to Sony's original values? I'd prefer not to give myself the option to change them by accident. Normally, I'd just try it and see, but I'm worried that deleting them may have dire consequences.

Edit: I tried to send you some more well-deserved karma, but apparently I have to spread the love elsewhere before I can come back to you. I need to find another worthy cause

Last edited by jackie_w; 01-22-2012 at 10:53 AM.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2012, 11:07 AM   #66
Morkl
Connoisseur
Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.

Quote:
Bravo, Morkl

I love the new customised font-sizes. I can now get the perfect size for my 7 different customised font-faces in varying lighting conditions without needing to reconnect to the PC. The Sony 'set default font-size' also works for me.

If you don't mind, I have a couple of questions about the reader.xml file. So far I made my changes to section <fontSizeTableEpub> only:
  • What do sections <fontSizeTable>, <fontSizeTableXmdf> and <fontSizeTableDotbook> control?
  • For fontsize sections I am not intending to change, e.g. <fontSizeTablePdf>, can these sections be removed from reader.xml so that they default to Sony's original values? I'd prefer not to give myself the option to change them by accident. Normally, I'd just try it and see, but I'm worried that deleting them may have dire consequences.
The Reader picks a font size table based on the mime-type of the open document, so EPUBs use fontSizeTableEpub, PDFs uses fontSizeTablePdf, plain text files use fontSizeTableText, XMDFs use fontSizeTableXmdf, .BOOKs use fontSizeTableDotBook and everything else uses fontSizeTable. I guess maybe some of the font size tables aren't used, since the PRS-T1 doesn't (officially, at least) support all those formats.

Anyhow, it uses the stock version of any table it doesn't find in the XML, so it should be safe to erase the ones you don't use.
Old 01-22-2012, 04:27 PM   #67
snarkophilus
Wannabe Connoisseur
snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Morkl - dare I ask when we'll be able to change the reader.xml settings from within your modified app? If adding extra config screens to the existing Reader app isn't scalable I would certainly be very happy with a separate app to change the settings.

For a couple of wishlist items:

On my 350, if I go to the not-first page of the TOC, do something else, and return to the TOC, I go to the last page of the TOC I was looking at. On the T1, you always return to the first page of the TOC. I often use the TOC to work out how far until the end of the current chapter.

Another nice feature of PRS+ is the ability to change the mappings of keys. For example, I re-map a long-press-on-home to go to the TOC (see above for how I use this). Do you think this sort of thing is possible?

Cheers,
Simon.
Old 01-22-2012, 05:04 PM   #68
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Regarding wishlist items for the reader app...

... At the moment selecting a new custom font remaps both the 4 serif and 4 sans-serif @font-faces to the selected custom font. Some ebooks deliberately style passages of text as font-family: sans-serif or monospace for emphasis. It would be good not to lose these. In my css/style.css file I have remapped all 3 generic font-families (serif, sans-serif, monospace) and I was pleasantly surprised to find that when I select a new custom font (via the reader app) the monospace custom font is retained. I thought it would be quite nice to have an option (in reader.xml) to NOT remap the 4 sans-serif @font-faces. In this way sans-serif styling would not only be retained when selecting a font other than 'Original' but would also be displayed in custom sans-serif font of choice.
Quote:
Another nice feature of PRS+ is the ability to change the mappings of keys. For example, I re-map a long-press-on-home to go to the TOC (see above for how I use this). Do you think this sort of thing is possible?
In addition, +1 for this. A shortcut access to the TOC would be very nice

P.S. I hope you don't regret starting this development work... the requests may keep on coming
Old 01-22-2012, 11:30 PM   #69
pssquirrel
ebooknut
pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & Oasis
I have been following this thread with great interest, but must admit that almost everything except the CSS discussion is going over my head. At this point I have one very basic question: Do I understand correctly that I need a PC to install the modified Reader? I cannot do it using a Mac? Thx!

Last edited by pssquirrel; 01-22-2012 at 11:31 PM. Reason: typo
pssquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 11:53 PM   #70
snarkophilus
Wannabe Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by pssquirrel View Post
At this point I have one very basic question: Do I understand correctly that I need a PC to install the modified Reader? I cannot do it using a Mac? Thx!
If you've rooted your T1, you just need to copy the relevent folders/files to your reader's internal storage, edit any XML config files to taste, and install the apk file (copy it to your reader and click on it in root explorer).

I'm afraid I don't know if you can install it on to a non-rooted T1 with a Mac.

Cheers,
Simon.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:03 AM   #71
Morkl
Connoisseur

Quote:
Morkl - dare I ask when we'll be able to change the reader.xml settings from within your modified app? If adding extra config screens to the existing Reader app isn't scalable I would certainly be very happy with a separate app to change the settings.

For a couple of wishlist items:

On my 350, if I go to the not-first page of the TOC, do something else, and return to the TOC, I go to the last page of the TOC I was looking at. On the T1, you always return to the first page of the TOC. I often use the TOC to work out how far until the end of the current chapter.

Cheers,
Simon.
Keeping track of last visited TOC page, noted.

Key mappings is definitely possible; I just have to figure out the key event handling first.

Quote:
Regarding wishlist items for the reader app...

... At the moment selecting a new custom font remaps both the 4 serif and 4 sans-serif @font-faces to the selected custom font. Some ebooks deliberately style passages of text as font-family: sans-serif or monospace for emphasis. It would be good not to lose these. In my css/style.css file I have remapped all 3 generic font-families (serif, sans-serif, monospace) and I was pleasantly surprised to find that when I select a new custom font (via the reader app) the monospace custom font is retained. I thought it would be quite nice to have an option (in reader.xml) to NOT remap the 4 sans-serif @font-faces. In this way sans-serif styling would not only be retained when selecting a font other than 'Original' but would also be displayed in custom sans-serif font of choice.

In addition, +1 for this. A shortcut access to the TOC would be very nice

P.S. I hope you don't regret starting this development work... the requests may keep on coming
I just replicated the default behaviour when implementing the custom fonts. I guess each font (as selectable in the font selector) should have separate monospace and sans-serif definitions, so one could define serif/sans-serif/monospace triplets that look good together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pssquirrel View Post
I have been following this thread with great interest, but must admit that almost everything except the CSS discussion is going over my head. At this point I have one very basic question: Do I understand correctly that I need a PC to install the modified Reader? I cannot do it using a Mac? Thx!
It might be possible to install it manually, by putting everything in the "installer/sdcard" folder and the "installer/PRS-T1 Updater.package" file in the root of the internal storage, then rebooting into recovery mode (holding home+back while starting). I haven't tried it myself though.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:52 AM   #72
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morkl View Post
I guess each font (as selectable in the font selector) should have separate monospace and sans-serif definitions, so one could define serif/sans-serif/monospace triplets that look good together.
If you want to define 'font triplets' then the 'PRPlus look-alike' feature mentioned previously (allow css/style.css to be overwritten on-the-fly by any of a number of pre-prepared custom .css files) would work if each epub was read with font set to 'Original'. The benefits of this method are that you get unlimited font options.

I just thought my later suggestion may be easier to implement and you could customise 7 serifs + 1 sans + 1 mono (I've also added 1 smallcaps and 1 fancy dropcap), which may be enough for most.

Anyway, the decision is entirely yours. I'm much happier with your reader app as-is than I was with the original because it's no longer necessary to manually force any T1-specific css into each epub. This is much appreciated when you may want to read on any of several different reader models.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:42 PM   #73
soseono
Connoisseur
soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle 4, Sony PRS-T1 (formerly PRS-500 & 505), iPad Air
Quote:
I just thought my later suggestion may be easier to implement and you could customise 7 serifs + 1 sans + 1 mono (I've also added 1 smallcaps and 1 fancy dropcap), which may be enough for most.
Some of the font-selector fonts are sans-serif, so maybe we need another attribute in the font xml like:

<font name="Amasis" type="serif" regular="AmasisMTW1G.otf" italic="AmasisMTW1G-Italic.otf" bold="AmasisMTW1G-Bold.otf" bolditalic="AmasisMTW1G-BoldItalic.otf" />
<font name="Univers Next" type="sans-serif" regular="UniversNextW1G-Regular.otf" italic="UniversNextW1G-Italic.otf" bold="UniversNextW1G-Bold.otf" bolditalic="UniversNextW1G-BoldItalic.otf" />

But then, one of my font-selector choices is a serif CJK font and the custom-Original font in my css is Western. (I read in English most of the time, but sometimes need the CJK font.) So with the CJK font, I need both serif and sans-serif refer to the CJK font... Of course, if I can choose between two css's on the fly (one for English, the other for CJK), that would be the most ideal.

Or would it be possible to define something like this? (two lines defining one entry (same name, different types)):

<font name="CJK Font" type="serif" regular="CJK_serif_R.otf" italic="CJK_serif_I.otf" bold="CJK_serif_B.otf" bolditalic="CJK_serif_BI.otf" />
<font name="CJK Font" type="sans-serif" regular="CJK_sans_R.otf" italic="CJK_sans_I.otf" bold="CJK_sans_B.otf" bolditalic="CJK_sans_BI.otf" />

Quote:
Anyway, the decision is entirely yours. I'm much happier with your reader app as-is than I was with the original because it's no longer necessary to manually force any T1-specific css into each epub. This is much appreciated when you may want to read on any of several different reader models.
Totally agreed!!! No more keeping track of all the T1-specific epubs in my library

Last edited by soseono; 01-23-2012 at 12:59 PM.
soseono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 08:30 AM   #74
soseono
Connoisseur
soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle 4, Sony PRS-T1 (formerly PRS-500 & 505), iPad Air
Lightbulb

Here's another idea... Can the font-selector work double-duty also as a css-picker? For instance: (assuming that all css files are in the same location as the current style.css)

<font name="Amasis" type="serif" regular="AmasisMTW1G.otf" italic="AmasisMTW1G-Italic.otf" bold="AmasisMTW1G-Bold.otf" bolditalic="AmasisMTW1G-BoldItalic.otf" />
<font name="Univers Next" type="sans-serif" regular="UniversNextW1G-Regular.otf" italic="UniversNextW1G-Italic.otf" bold="UniversNextW1G-Bold.otf" bolditalic="UniversNextW1G-BoldItalic.otf" />
<font name="Western Style 2" type="css" filename="style2.css" />
<font name="CJK Font" type="css" filename="CJKstyle.css" />

Just throwing some ideas out in the open...
soseono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 10:10 AM   #75
Yoths
Enthusiast
Yoths is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Yoths is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Yoths is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Yoths is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Yoths is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Yoths is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Yoths is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Yoths is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Yoths is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Yoths is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Yoths is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: SONY PRS-T1
Morkl, thank you for your great work!

I've just two questions:
- What is the unit of the font sizes defined in the <fontSizeTableXXX> sections?
- Would it be possible to specify the path to the custom CSS file via the configuration XML instad of hard-coded importing the [READER]\css\style.css?

soseono, a good idea, +1
Yoths is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
css, fonts