Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers

Notices

Old 12-19-2010, 08:39 AM   #16
DeadMan
Enthusiast
DeadMan is no ebook tyro.DeadMan is no ebook tyro.DeadMan is no ebook tyro.DeadMan is no ebook tyro.DeadMan is no ebook tyro.DeadMan is no ebook tyro.DeadMan is no ebook tyro.DeadMan is no ebook tyro.DeadMan is no ebook tyro.DeadMan is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Here are a few photos with the protective covering removed. It's laying flat on the table with the light directly above and to the left. Tried to get some reflection of the light overhead and the box. Hope these help you. If you need another scenario set up let me know what you would like me to try.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Next1 Reflect01.JPG
Views:	794
Size:	579.6 KB
ID:	63078   Click image for larger version

Name:	Next1 Reflect02.JPG
Views:	796
Size:	1.08 MB
ID:	63079   Click image for larger version

Name:	Next1 Reflect03.JPG
Views:	748
Size:	1.41 MB
ID:	63080   Click image for larger version

Name:	Next1 Reflect04.JPG
Views:	746
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	63081   Click image for larger version

Name:	Next1 Reflect05.JPG
Views:	774
Size:	957.0 KB
ID:	63082  
DeadMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 06:20 PM   #17
ebsebs
Connoisseur
ebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Time

Device: Nook ST/Nook HD+
DeadMan,

Thanks for all of your help. I made my decision this afternoon - returned the Slick and ordered a Next1.
It looks like a better reader for the same price. I hope it lives up to my expectations.
ebsebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2010, 07:11 PM   #18
DeadMan
Enthusiast
DeadMan is no ebook tyro.DeadMan is no ebook tyro.DeadMan is no ebook tyro.DeadMan is no ebook tyro.DeadMan is no ebook tyro.DeadMan is no ebook tyro.DeadMan is no ebook tyro.DeadMan is no ebook tyro.DeadMan is no ebook tyro.DeadMan is no ebook tyro.

Your quite welcome. Hope you like it when it arrives.

Just one other quick test I did today; I loaded a 4gig micro SD card with 1178 ebooks. Most of the books in thier author directories, some in the root, some I buried a couple directories down.

I plugged it in, while the unit was off, and when I turned it on it scanned the card. This took about 15 seconds to do, but it found all books in all directories and listed them in the eBook page.

Curious if it has a database, I turned it off, and restarted again. This time, it showed the SD card scan, and it only lasted a second. So it did create a DB somewhere...

Next I turned it off again, removed the card and restarted the unit. The books were still showing in the eBook listing page. This had me concerned... what if they never disappeared? But after another restart they were no longer listed.

One more test was to try it with only a few eBooks on the card, about 100. The scan took 3 to 5 seconds and it was ready to go again.

Next step is try try and figure out how to find out what kind of OS is on it. One blog mentions (from August or September) that the company had 2 Android devices coming out with Android on - The Next1 and Next2. This is the only site I have come across that has mentioned what OS may be on the Next1. So I'm still not convinced that is what is running on it. Will be reading through Slatedroid this week to try and learn about the tools required.

Last edited by DeadMan; 12-19-2010 at 07:14 PM.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:03 PM   #19
DeadMan
Enthusiast

This is interesting. A twin. I'm getting the itch to open mine up.

CPU Rockchip RK2729 ARM9
Internal Clock Rate 560 MHz

The Prestigio 3072B

Few more ebook formats and video support. No firmware updates for this on the site yet, but I'll keep searching.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:17 PM   #20
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
There's hope...

I picked up this nicely packaged device at one of my local XS Cargo (for the list $99) and was pleasantly impressed with how sleek it appeared.

Well, you know what they about judging an (e)book by it's cover...

I needed a low cost epub e-reader (preferably backlit LCD) and this seemed a perfect match, that is, until I used it with my ebook creations!

I'm one to cram as many hyperlinks as I can into my ebooks and was shock (ok surprised) that there is no way to navigate (i.e. click) on-screen links like footnotes or links to diagrams/images. This is a MAJOR fail. Nowadays, an epub book is much like a website and can you imagine in this day and age if the website hyperlinks could not be clicked through. What a travesty!

I'm not so sure why the Adobe Mobile Edition wasn't better utilized with the directional pad to navigate those links. Once you navigated there, then a simple press of the "OK" button to follow that link would have made this a KILLER unit!!!!!!! The way it is now and perhaps the reason it is being liquidated before it's launch, speaks volumes as to proper beta-testing done or NOT. One minute using this device and I knew it was sub-par for my use.

Now, take this with a grain of salt, as I'm spoiled by having "touchscreen" access to my ebooks, especially for following links, annotating, dictionary look-ups... Oh, well, I'm hoping for a compatible FIRMWARE as noticed (expected?) by DeadMan...

Another MAJOR faux pas is the zoom function when used with .pdf ebooks. Like many ebook vendors they seem to always forget (don't properly implement) the fact that after you, say, zoom to half a page, then when you advance the page, the second half of that page should be shown (as is seen in continuous mode) and not the top half of the next page and so on...

They have a very interesting zoom level for pdf ebooks called "Selection Zoom" that allows the user to crop, with adjustable crop marks, the left-right margin. This is done by moving those crop marks into the white margin however far you like. The only problem is that store-bought pdf ebooks that use 8x11 sized pages and zoomed out to see the entire page, then show those crop marks (after this Selection Zoom is chosen) inside the text extent on the page. Promising feature, but again fails a real-world test. It's like no-one ever tried that function during development...

I was disappointed that .html files could not be displayed (though I knew it wasn't a supported format). I guessed that supporting .html would be rudimentary when you support epub and text files (I was hoping to salvage my use of this e-reader given the above deficiencies.) It did, however, a superb job rendering (raw) text files without having to first be converted to epub or pdf. For me that is a MAJOR plus!!!

The music player seems nice enough but I haven't test it too much yet. I know you can easily start and stop music playing in the background using the dedicated "Play/Pause" button on the right of the Directional Pad.

I haven't tested any video formats (the spec's say they are not supported) but other similar looking hardware buttons/ports have that capability. i.e. similar looking hardware appears to be the Slick ereader, the aforementioned The Prestigio 3072B, and even the Aluratek 7" Color ereader.

Perhaps there's hope (for a compatible firmware upgrade... )

And what gives with that "Hold the power button depressed for 7 seconds" to turn on this baby. When I first got it, I plugged in the power adapter and pressed the "On" button for no more than two seconds and it worked. After fully charging it, it now takes 7 seconds when not plugged into the power adapter.

I'll tinker some more as I hope DeadMan will too!

Last edited by nrapallo; 12-20-2010 at 09:24 PM.
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2010, 09:23 PM   #21
M0zza
Geek... Apparently
M0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Sony PRS-505 (Silver), ASUS Transformer TF300T, IPAD Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I have one a similar model, only it's branded the Elonex 700EB. It's a decent e-reader and selling in the UK for 79lbs. I'll post a review in a few days.
That is a very heavy reader you got there! Don't think that would be very portable!

I've been tempted by something like this for a while. But have decided to wait for better versions of the cheap androids to come out... Or a decent battery life Win7 tablet... Or just a netbook... Crap it!
M0zza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 12:43 AM   #22
nrapallo
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Now this is getting interesting...

Intrigued by DeadMan's posting of this device's "Twin", The Prestigio 3072B, I searched for similar RockChip Rk27XX based ebook readers.

I found the firmware upgrade tool for the 5" Prestigio Libretto PER3052B and searched for other readers using the same "RK28DM_Setup.exe"

It looks like the Delstar from Walgreens has the same firmware tool, but it is at version 1.22 whereas Prestigio's is at version 1.27. Anyway, I was able to connect to the Next1 using the RK28DM.exe.

Here's what firmware version (0.4.16) originally came with my Next1. Click image for larger version

Name:	Next1_firmware-orig.jpg
Views:	889
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	63195

After noticing the Restore button, I searched for possible insights on how to backup my Next1 firmware BEFORE I do damage to it!

I came across this thread for MP3 players, and after creating an empty text file called "rkusb.tag", I placed that empty file in the root of my Next1's flash memory using the supplied usb cable.

After that, I disconnected the usb cable, and shut down my Next1. After rebooting, I found TWO hidden partitions (one 150MB; the other 80MB) that were now VISIBLE on the Next1. I did this all on my WinXP SP3 computer.

I quickly backed up those two partitions onto my hard drive and began exploring my Next1's OS.

I haven't found anything I could easily mod, but did take a text listing of all files therein that is attached below. I also was able to locate a copy of the Next1 manual and attach same below.

Hey, this is fun!

Next (pardon the pun), see if similar .bin/codec files exist....
Attached Files
File Type: txt Next1_hidden-partitions_dir_listing.txt (24.2 KB, 954 views)
File Type: pdf NEXT1_Mannual.pdf (1.22 MB, 1280 views)

Last edited by nrapallo; 12-21-2010 at 12:33 PM. Reason: added links
Old 12-21-2010, 06:35 AM   #23
DeadMan
Enthusiast

Very nice. I was running the same software, and did browse through that same MP3 forum last night as well. But I certainly didn't think it would work with ours.

Excellent job jumping on that Will be having a look after work today as well.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:05 AM   #24
ebsebs
Connoisseur
ebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Time

Device: Nook ST/Nook HD+
nrapallo,

That is some impressive detective work! I am anxiously waiting for my Next1 to arrive.

I have high hopes that the 800x600 4:3 display will be a significant improvement over the typical 800x480 16:9 LCDs in the Augen, Slick, etc.
I'm also hoping that there's a way to use somebody's firmware to add support for video playback.
I don't use it often, but it sure is handy to have ebooks, music and video all on one device for long plane trips.

BTW - did anyone notice that the Prestigio PER3072B spec sheet says that it runs Linux?
ebsebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 12:43 PM   #25
nrapallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebsebs View Post
nrapallo,

That is some impressive detective work! I am anxiously waiting for my Next1 to arrive.
Thanks, I always go "full-throttle" when I'm investigating things... Just my nature!

Quote:
BTW - did anyone notice that the Prestigio PER3072B spec sheet says that it runs Linux?
Attached are the specs showing that OS as being Linux, but I suspect it's an embedded version, as the file structure on those hidden partitions reveals no true OS.

I like the ebook capabilities/specs of the RK2729 given here:

Name:	201004291120272349-11.jpg
Views:	791
Size:	473.2 KB
ID:	63264
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Prestigio_PER3072B_specsheet_web.pdf (966.6 KB, 1479 views)
Old 12-21-2010, 04:21 PM   #26
nrapallo

Another twin...

Another twin, the Malata EB-A7001R

There are no support/firmware files yet for this e-reader also, but the specs look decent:
Code:
Malata EB-A7001R specifications

Display

Resolution:
    *      600x800      
    Physical size:
    *      7.00 in      
    Second display:
    *      No      

Software

Operating system:
    *      Other - RTOS
      Supported formats:
    *      EPUB (Adobe DRM Support), PDB (Adobe DRM Support), PDF (Adobe DRM Support), HTML, TXT, JPG, GIF, PNG, BMP
      Features:
    *      Usable in both portrait and landscape orientation, Music player

Connectivity

USB version:
      Wi-Fi:
    *      No
      Audio out:
    *      2.5mm - Built-in speaker

Hardware features

Processor:
    *      Rockchip RK2729
      RAM:
    *      32.00 MB
      Built-in memory:
    *      Yes (4.00 GB)
      Keyboard:
    *      On-screen

Body

Dimensions (WxHxD):
    *      5.74 in x 7.68 in x 0.51 in
      Weight:
    *      13.23 oz
      Rugged:
    *      No
      Available color options:
    *      Black

Old 12-21-2010, 11:00 PM   #27
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by M0zza View Post
That is a very heavy reader you got there! Don't think that would be very portable!

I've been tempted by something like this for a while. But have decided to wait for better versions of the cheap androids to come out... Or a decent battery life Win7 tablet... Or just a netbook... Crap it!
It's really not all that much heavier than the Kindle.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 08:47 PM   #28
DeadMan
Enthusiast

OK well, I have extracted the Prestigio firmware, and started to compair files. Most are identical, but of course there are a few that are differant. The BMP0.BIN contains many more images, due to the extra features like video playback icons, file format icons, stuff like that. I have only tried swapping out a few of the files in SYSTEM folder, but it always overwrites them with the original file - and deletes anything extra I stick into sub folders. In the root it leaves extra files alone. Larger images in the Nextbook files are 800x600; The Prestigio contains 800x480 images (ie. start up images)

It contains a few games, and a a couple other utils.

I may just start simple and change the boot up image to see if it will let me get away with that for now before going to nuts.

I was going to swap out the entire contents with the Prestigio firmware into both SYSTEM directories on the device, but have chickened out for now. Called the store I bought it from and they have run out of stock... go figure right before xmas

I do suspect that it will just overwrite anything I copy into the main folders with what it has stored in memory.

Still trying to figure out how it checks for a firmware on the SD card. I will start rebuilding the firmware img file with files from both devices and see where I get. Might be the RKxxIMG.CHK files... Before it lets me change anything, I believe it will have to be a complete firmware change.

Will keep anyone interested posted as I play around. I may have to hit one of the folks up that bought the Slick for a copy of the system files from that device as well since it is 800x600 as well.
Old 12-23-2010, 09:42 PM   #29
tselling
Addict
tselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enough

Device: NookColor (MiRage/CM7.2 & Moon+ Reader Pro)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadMan View Post
Will keep anyone interested posted as I play around. I may have to hit one of the folks up that bought the Slick for a copy of the system files from that device as well since it is 800x600 as well.
The Slick is 800x480, I picked one up but I will probably return it after the Next1 arrives. I doubt there is much you want from its firmware. Its firmware isn't very good imho.
tselling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 11:00 PM   #30
nrapallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadMan View Post
OK well, I have extracted the Prestigio firmware, and started to compair files...
That PER3052BW firmware is for different specs than the Next1, a closer match is the PER3072B which as of yet has no firmware available. I'm watching for it as I think it has more ebook formats as well as video playback support! It looks like such a sleek product; I would buy one if I could, but they don't sell it in North America.

Name:	per3072b.jpg
Views:	702
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	63431

BTW, I saw something in the Russian the-ebook.org that said another "Twin", the Citybook s701, is slated for Spring 2011 shipping! Where are these similar devices being sold...

Name:	citibook.jpg
Views:	716
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	63432

Quote:
Still trying to figure out how it checks for a firmware on the SD card. I will start rebuilding the firmware img file with files from both devices and see where I get. Might be the RKxxIMG.CHK files... Before it lets me change anything, I believe it will have to be a complete firmware change.
I think you would use the RK28DM_Setup.exe to install the firmware upgrade tool and load the desired *.img firmware and update the Next1's firmware. I don't think the .img is upgraded using the microSD card at all.

I haven't found any (compatible) firmware .img's and am really holding out for the Prestigio PER3072B's! I did manage to locate a similar firmware (firmware_Hyundai_HYV_C-700_v-1.0.5.zip) in a French forum for the JWD PMP-7100 liseuse. I've compared this firmware with the Next1's 150MB "hidden" partition and there are few changed files, as follows:
Code:
Comparing subdirectories:
- E:\Nextbook_Next1\firmware_Hyundai_HYV_C-700_v-1.0.5\extracted firmware img 
- E:\Nextbook_Next1\Nextbook_Next1_hidden_partition\150MB 

Differences:
 next1_mannual.pdf		        only in E:\Nextbook_Next1\Nextbook_Next1_hidden_partition\150MB
 rock2729boot.bin	  	        different(both have identical times)
 version.bin			        different(both have identical times)
 lang\japanese\cmap\h		    only in E:\Nextbook_Next1\firmware_Hyundai_HYV_C-700_v-1.0.5\extracted firmware img
 resource\bid\bmp0.bin		    different(both have identical times)
 resource\sid\stringid.bin	    different(both have identical times)
 system\base.rkw		        different(both have identical times)
 system\save.bin		        different(both have identical times)
 system\codecs\rk28_jbig2.rkl	different(both have identical times)
 system00\base.rkw		        different(both have identical times)
 system00\save.bin		        different(both have identical times)
 system00\codecs\rk28_jbig2.rkl	different(both have identical times)

-- 12 files listed

I've used that firmware .img as a base for reconstructing an .img for the original firmware 0.4.16 for my Next1, though I haven't tested it yet if it actually can be re-written to the Next1's on-board firmware. [EDIT: 29-Dec-2010 IT DOES WORK!] I've loaded it in the RK28DM.exe firmware tool and it recognizes it. I'm not going to try using it though, until I can get that Prestigio PER3072B firmware to work. I can then post it to mediafire.com as and when required.

Quote:
The Slick firmware may be a better match for the PER3052BW you were investigating, but it wouldn't match the specs of the Next1 (or PER3072B).

I think the key files to expect improvements would be:
BMP0.bin
Rock2729Boot.bin
stringid.bin
base.rkw
ebook.bin
pytable.bin
Right now my best utility of this little reader is Google scanned .pdf ebooks and any related .epub version (that I previously used with my iLiad, however, the iLiad is e-ink and is not backlit, which I truly desire!)

Another GREAT use is a comic book (.cbr or .cbz) viewer. I first have to unzip the files to their own directory and extract those individual .jpg's, but it's worth it, seeing it rendered in colour and hires (800x600 is better that my 640x480 REB1200!)

DeadMan, have you found any niche use for this product?

Last edited by nrapallo; 12-29-2010 at 09:19 PM. Reason: typo

Tags
next1, nextbook, per3072b, prestigio