Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 07-04-2013, 12:07 PM   #16
cicsos2
Enthusiast
cicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to behold

Device: kindle Kbd, Fire(N2A), & 8.9
Thumbs up Thanks

Thanks, that was what I was missing - I was trying to figure out how to do the power off & sound control at the same time. Now I'm a bit more dangerous.

eta: questions answered in K2Aos.com forum

Again, let me say for your support here and in the other forum.

Last edited by cicsos2; 07-05-2013 at 08:37 AM. Reason: obsolete questions
cicsos2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 04:43 PM   #17
cicsos2
Enthusiast
cicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to behold

What about this N2Aos

1. There are currently 4 versions of the Kindle Fire "tablet". There have three 7 inch screen and one 8.9 inch screen
* The original Kindle Fire
* The 2nd generation Kindle Fire - more memory and a better pocessor, for example
* The Kindle Fire HD 7 inch - more memory and better screen
* The Kindle Fire HD 8.9 - more memory, better screen, also can come with 4g radio

2. Each of these comes with a version of the Android operating system that has been customized by Amazon. The intent is to provide a device oriented toward the delivery of material (books, movies, music, apps) from Amazon. Historically, the Kindle system can be considered as a "closed" system. While it is possible to add some capabilities, the device is always dependent on Amazon.

3. For many, if not the majority, users this is fine. Ever since I got my first Kindle e-ink reader, I was one of these.

4. The original Kindle Fire is now what I would described as a "stablized" device, much like my Kindle 2 and Kindle Keyboard. None of these are being produced and their respective operating systems are no longer being updated. My old e-ink devices are "out on loan" and my Kindle Fire was last used to watch some movies I downloaded on a trip.

5. The Android operating system is produced by Google. There are myriad tablets on the market today with different levels of Android, most are 4.1. Android is also used on many smart phones. I wonder how many of these devices can actually be updated to newer levels.

6. At the end of June I came across a reference to a company called N2A that was selling a plug-in memory card that would turn the Nook into an Android 4.1 based system, and add additional memory. I then saw that this company also had a N2A OS option that can do something similar for the Kindle Fire, both 1st and 2nd generation). The difference being that the upgrade would remove the original Kindle operating system and install an Android 4.2.2 system with some customized functions to provide better support for the Fire. The Kindle version does cost $20.

7. The N2A OS folks are also working on the next upgrade that will support the HD models. You an find more information on their FB pages.

8. Also, and potentially very important, they have a free package that can restore an original Kindle operating system.

9. The point of the above ramblings is to tell you, if you have read this far, that this has been the best $20 I spent in a long time and has breathed new life into my Kindle Fire (maybe I need to call it my Kindle Android Fire).
Old 07-05-2013, 05:53 PM   #18
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
I agree with you on this.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:31 AM   #19
cicsos2
Enthusiast

Watching (Prime) Instant Video using Dolphin & Flash
As this is being entered, I'm watch "In Harms Way" with John Wayne, etal

This is also a summary from another location with comments gently snitched from two gentlemen. In addition, I've added some extra screenshots that fit into the process at the end of the pdf referenced by N2A.

From N2A

How to watch Amazon Prime Video on N2Aos
So simple even someone who just converted their Kindle can do it.

http://n2aos.com/tutorials/primeinstantvideo.pdf

---------------------------------------------------
Steve Caldwell's comments have to do with Amazon telling you that your device isn't supported.
---------------------------------------------------

and from stevecaldwell

If Amazon says that the browser isn't supported, then it's probably reverted back to the mobile version of the Amazon.com site.As soon as you click on the episode link, you need to make sure that you're viewing the episode page using the full site link. Otherwise, you will see a warning on the page saying that your tablet isn't supported.

See 1st thumbnail.
-------------------------------------------------------

It should be no surprise to most that Android v4.x and Flash no longer work together. Also, that the solution to this is to use Dolphin and Flash. The steps needed for this are in the pdf referenced above.

For the newbie (i.e. including me) there are a few extra steps at the very end that are easy to miss. And if you do miss them, then Steve's advice gives you the result.

After you start your Dolphin browser and connect to Amazon.com scroll down to the bottom until you can see the Amazon.com Full Screen entry, shown in the 2nd thumbnail.

Hold the "Your Prime" (2nd thumbnail) until the pop-up is displayed with the available movies. When you find the one you want, you should see something like the last thumbnail.

I tried a couple of different movies identified as HD - one came back and said that my device could not play HD - which is correct - and offered to switch me to an SD version. The other was happy to play as selected.

Granted, it takes a few more steps than the Kindle opsys, but maybe a bookmark at the right step would help.

However, don't get rid of your other browsers just yet. I have found that there are some youtube videos that do not get along with Dolphin.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	S_2013-07-05-16-47-12.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	107848   Click image for larger version

Name:	S_2013-07-05-18-47-23.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	107849   Click image for larger version

Name:	S_2013-07-05-18-48-10.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	169.4 KB
ID:	107850  
Old 08-05-2013, 06:59 PM   #20
cicsos2
Enthusiast

N2Aos is proud to announce our first update for the Gen1 and Gen2 models. Please follow the link below for more information.

http://bit.ly/13N018M

AND.....for those of you waiting patiently for the release of N2Aos for the Kindle Fire HD, your wait is over.

Get N2Aos for the Kindle Fire HD 7" and 8.9" NOW!!

http://www.n2aos.com

From a letter sent to current users today.
Old 08-16-2013, 07:58 AM   #21
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Has anyone here done the n2aos on their Kindle Fire HD?

Well it doesn't matter, my daughter (7) doesn't want to lose the Amazon interface.

Last edited by booklover6; 08-16-2013 at 10:43 AM.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 03:32 PM   #22
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
I have a first generation fire and am sorely tempted to do this...but I find I'm mostly considering it because I like to tinker (). I really don't use my fire much anymore except for a movie or two when travelling as I found it too heavy for reading and really like my PW...so I'm hoping some kind soul could take a moment and briefly explain what the advantages are in very broad terms (faster, better browser, more storage or access to the storage, etc.). I'm not particularly worried about losing access to Amazon specific things. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by GoSharks; 08-16-2013 at 03:39 PM.
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:20 AM   #23
cicsos2
Enthusiast

Why Switch? Why Not!

I also have a Gen 1 KF. It is now more responsive and fun to use. Apps, apps, and more apps - available from multiple locations. If you don't like the default launcher, try another. You will have easy access to two more plus what ever else may be available.

I've stuck with Dolphin plus Flash so I can still stream Amazon Prime Videos.

The email app is much better than the default Amazon email. I used Kaiten email on my KF before converting and right now have both since I can't decide which one I like best.

Their customer service, via the forums, is beyond expectations - for both live chat as well as Q&A. Even when they are outside the support times, it is not unusual to find one or more of them still there helping people. The closest thing to a canned response that you may see is "I'm on live chat right now, ready to help". One night, one of the guys stayed with me until 1am his time. I signed off and went to bed - but he stayed with it and by 8am the next day, he had a new build with a fix for my problem.

Plus - now the HD models are also supported in addition to the Gen 1 and 2. For the 8.9 with 4g LTE - you will lose the cell data capability (i.e. no 4G LTE) - so that is a major decision. In my case, I'll keep my 8.9 4G as a stock Kindle.

One of the items I'm looking forward to trying is to use an OTG cable and hook up a 8 or 8 gig memory stick and try playing a movie. One of the Gen 1 users has got that working.

They have implemented a battery saving option - it turns the wireless off when you put it to sleep unless the power cord is hooked up. Last Monday (7 days ago) I charged the device overnight. The next morning I unplugged it, checked the battery level and put it to sleep. During the week I would take a peek at the battery level once or twice a day. Finally, on Saturday night, when the battery level had finally dropped to 78%, I went ahead and recharged.

Lest I forget - especially with the complaints about the changes to the Silk browser that got pushed down last week - I now have control over when the device checks for updates to the operating system and if any updates are applied automatically or manually.

So, go on over to the N2Aos.com site and check out the FAQs and the forums ... and then go ahead and spend the $20 and join the party.

For the record: I have no connection to the N2A group other than I've paid my $20 to upgrade my Gen 1 Kindle Fire that was covered in dust and crying for attention.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:35 PM   #24
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@ciscos2-
Thanks!!
Old 08-21-2013, 10:29 AM   #25
connie2000
Connoisseur
connie2000 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.connie2000 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.connie2000 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.connie2000 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.connie2000 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.connie2000 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.connie2000 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.connie2000 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.connie2000 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.connie2000 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.connie2000 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Fire HD 6", PW2, sony 950, Fire Phone, kindle fire HDX 9, Huawei Mate
I installed this yesterday on my 1st gen Kindle Fire. Very easy and old kindle fire is working great as android tablet.
connie2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 11:43 PM   #26
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cicsos2 View Post
One of the items I'm looking forward to trying is to use an OTG cable and hook up a 8 or 8 gig memory stick and try playing a movie. One of the Gen 1 users has got that working.
Any luck with this? Sounds too good to be true!
Old 08-24-2013, 12:59 PM   #27
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Not all sticks work. The cheaper, the better.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 04:26 PM   #28
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
Not all sticks work. The cheaper, the better.
Have you done this with a Gen 1 Fire?! Is there a limit to the size of the memory stick? Does it chew through battery life?...Inquiring minds want to know, 'cause this would be very cool!
Old 08-29-2013, 07:39 AM   #29
cicsos2
Enthusiast

We were told this week, in the N2Aos.com/forum, that we can use the $20 license for two Kindle Fires (any type). This makes it an even better bargain.

But - still not supported is the 4G LTE part of the 8.9 KF .... and installing from a Apple Mac can be difficult.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:51 AM   #30
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSharks View Post
Have you done this with a Gen 1 Fire?! Is there a limit to the size of the memory stick? Does it chew through battery life?...Inquiring minds want to know, 'cause this would be very cool!
Yes, I have with a 8GB. 4.1 at the time WAS very battery hungry as it was unofficial builds.

But it's hit and miss.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote