Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-15-2009, 03:44 PM   #31
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Yeah, but now my following post about us cross posting looks weird.
At least it's familiar territory for you!
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 03:45 PM   #32
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
At least it's familiar territory for you!
Hey now! I resemble that remark!
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2009, 03:52 PM   #33
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiriakou View Post
Long letter. Please educate me if i have it wrong. Amazon is not in the Kindle business. They want to sell you books. Kindle is a device to that end. Why would they want to help you buy books from someone else?
Well, since they own Mobipocket, they get revenue either way.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 04:07 PM   #34
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Anyone on FaceBook? There is a Jeff Bezos listed and I want to know if it's the real Bezos. If so, I'll join FB but I don't really want to.
Old 03-15-2009, 05:21 PM   #35
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Dear Jeff Bezos,

I am a Kindle owner. I requested a Kindle for Christmas when they first came out and was delighted to receive one. I've been very happy with my Kindle. I've also been happy with the selection of books and the price of books provided by Amazon. Another delightful surprise was the number of free books available for the Kindle from websites such as Feedbooks, Manybooks, and Mobileread.

The Mobileread site in particular is one of my favorites, because it also provides a forum where happy Kindle owners such as myself can discuss issues regarding our Kindles and the ebook market in general. They even inspired me to create my own website devoted to the Kindle.

So it is with a pallor of sadness that I write you this letter. On March 9th, 2009, your lawyers sent the online community at Mobileread a letter demanding that they remove all links to the kindlepid.py script. The implication of this demand was that Mobileread was violating copyright protection laws.

As a participant in these forums, I know this accusation is completely unfounded. In fact, I have seen Mobileread go out of their way to remove links to scripts or posts that would break Amazon's DRM, and I have also witnessed Mobileread's moderators make spirted arguements in favor of copyright laws. So accusations that they violated copyright protection laws is especially insulting. Furthermore, the script in question doesn't break DRM, but only allows the Kindle to read electronic library books and other mobi-DRMed books. Even worse, the letters sent by your lawyers went out on the very day that Mobileread was giving away a Kindle 2 in order to welcome and increase participants to their Kindle forums.

Sites like Mobileread, and the visitors that participate in these sites, are the individuals responsible for making products like the Kindle go viral. They are the backbone of that segment of society that helps a new product grow. In addition, they can also be the seed for disseminating dissatisfaction with a companies business practices. It is my hope that Amazon will take this into consideration in the future.

Sincerely yours,
David Ivey (Daithi - on Mobileread)

Last edited by Daithi; 03-15-2009 at 05:34 PM. Reason: spelling error
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2009, 05:26 PM   #36
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Great letter Daithi! Would like to add it to the blog or keep on MobileRead only?
Old 03-15-2009, 05:28 PM   #37
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
On March 9th, 2009, your lawyers sent the online community at Mobileread a letter demanding that they remove all links to the mobipid.py script. The implication of this demand was that Mobileread was violating copyright protection laws.
You may want to correct this to "kindlepid.py".

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 05:33 PM   #38
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Please feel free to add it to the blog.

P.S. It's really hard to try and keep these letters short, isn't it?
Old 03-15-2009, 05:34 PM   #39
Daithi
Publishers are evil!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
You may want to correct this to "kindlepid.py".

BOb
Thanks BOb
Old 03-15-2009, 05:37 PM   #40
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
Please feel free to add it to the blog.

P.S. It's really hard to try and keep these letters short, isn't it?
Yes, it is. I can't read my own letter because it's too freaking long!

Thanks!
Old 03-15-2009, 10:00 PM   #41
Boston
Fanatic
Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Aura H20, Pixel XL
Daffy,

I don't know if others have tried..but I tried to "sign" your letter by posting a comment to it (using my Gmail account) and it wouldn't take
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 10:04 PM   #42
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston View Post
Daffy,

I don't know if others have tried..but I tried to "sign" your letter by posting a comment to it (using my Gmail account) and it wouldn't take
Thanks Boston, I think it should work now. I didn't have the comments settings set up correctly.
Old 03-15-2009, 10:12 PM   #43
Boston
Fanatic
Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Aura H20, Pixel XL
Done and awaiting approval. So for those who don't want to write a letter of their own, they can voice their support for one of the letters by adding a comment to it, right?

If so, do you want to post the url?
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 12:44 AM   #44
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
I hope someone high up at Amazon reads your letter.

So many companies jump out of the gate, threatening to sue everyone at the first hint of infringement, when in fact they should be working with users. I guess at the end of the day the real responsibility lies within the threats from publishers towards Amazon and Amazon using their legal team like a blunt weapon to make those publishers happy.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 08:55 AM   #45
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston View Post
Done and awaiting approval. So for those who don't want to write a letter of their own, they can voice their support for one of the letters by adding a comment to it, right?

If so, do you want to post the url?
The link is in the first post under "Dear Jeff Bezos," but I'll put it here as well.

"Dear Jeff Bezos,"