Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-09-2010, 09:49 PM   #31
viviena
Evangelist
viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Currently Kobo Clara HD and Aura One, iPad
I've been lurking in the Kindle forums for the past few days, and there's been complaints of crashing, freezing, and rebooting for what seems to be a fair amount of users. Good things to fix quickly. Bill's point about Amazon being a larger company and thus having more resources is also relevant.
viviena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 08:38 AM   #32
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
I totally agree that it's a new company and we need quite a few things fixed so it would take a but longer to get an update. I was just frustrated, I'm better now. I do love my Kobo
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2010, 03:45 PM   #33
Wet Coast
Wet Coast began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Original & Wifi
I hope that something about the margins is included in the release; there's a lot of wasted real estate on the kobo screen

Ditto: I'm reading a book now that is almost all margins! First time that has happened to me with my Kobo
Wet Coast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 11:07 AM   #34
hpjrt
Connoisseur
hpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watch

Device: kobo
I'm not sure that the margin thing is a firmware problem.

I borrow books from the library ... and some have just about filled the screen ... others have wide margins. Some load quickly ... others load slowly. I know the latter problem is a software/formatting problem that lies at the publisher's door ... not having a separate file for individual chapters etc.

I'm thinking that the margin width is also a software/formatting problem?

Mary
hpjrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 04:04 PM   #35
shall1028
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpjrt View Post
Yes it is not a firmware problem but the folks who don't care for margins want the firmware to be able to override the CSS margin settings.

Of course there could also be padding specified so that would have to be overridden too.

see: Box Model
Advert
Old 09-14-2010, 11:57 PM   #36
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by viviena View Post
I've been lurking in the Kindle forums for the past few days, and there's been complaints of crashing, freezing, and rebooting for what seems to be a fair amount of users. Good things to fix quickly. Bill's point about Amazon being a larger company and thus having more resources is also relevant.
I've heard Amazon has whole buildings/labs dedicated to the Kindle.

A little before we launched we barely had a desk dedicated to the Kobo eReader.

Me and a large part of the Kobo eReader team shared a pod designed to fit 4 people, we fit 6 people in there, plus me with all my boxes of prototypes and beta units, there was barely any room to even put my laptop down much less have a decent work station.

We've come a long way since then, each of us has our own desk now.. although no more pods, it's all open concept.

Re: the firmware update. There is another one coming "soon" and will address a couple of issues that people have.. ah.. voiced concern.. about, but it's primarily to deliver some key new features.

I can't say exactly when though (yet), you know how it is.
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 07:08 AM   #37
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
I do hope the power issue is one. Instant power on is a big plus.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 08:40 PM   #38
Gordo29
Connoisseur
Gordo29 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo-1st Porcelain 2nd Black, Touch, Aura, now Libra H2O
Excellent, I knew Sameer wouldn't let us down! I'm anxiously awaiting the new firmware.
Gordo29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 09:17 PM   #39
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordo29 View Post
Excellent, I knew Sameer wouldn't let us down! I'm anxiously awaiting the new firmware.
I just post here. There is a lot more people involved in bringing it to you!
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 07:10 PM   #40
digital_steve
Muppet
digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpjrt View Post

I borrow books from the library ... and some have just about filled the screen ... others have wide margins. Some load quickly ... others load slowly. I know the latter problem is a software/formatting problem that lies at the publisher's door ... not having a separate file for individual chapters etc.

I'm thinking that the margin width is also a software/formatting problem?

Mary
A new firmware can deliver a new 'feature' enabling you to dick around with the margins.
I went through the process of stripping DRMs, trying to format and convert books in calibre just to get something that was readable and using most of the space available on the KOBO.
It was time consuming and usually ended badly, as my conversion knowledge is lacking and basically i was going to have to use Sigil as well. So 3 programs just to get a book on the KOBO was taking the piss; i'd like to see the KOBO be able to adjust the margins 'in the box'.
We'll see... eventually.
digital_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 12:56 AM   #41
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by digital_steve View Post
A new firmware can deliver a new 'feature' enabling you to dick around with the margins.
I went through the process of stripping DRMs, trying to format and convert books in calibre just to get something that was readable and using most of the space available on the KOBO.
It was time consuming and usually ended badly, as my conversion knowledge is lacking and basically i was going to have to use Sigil as well. So 3 programs just to get a book on the KOBO was taking the piss; i'd like to see the KOBO be able to adjust the margins 'in the box'.
We'll see... eventually.
Who says things in life are easy to handle? In fact, you use right apps
and get correct output. What more one might want?
Just let me stress that css file serves it's role. It make the way you see
the document. It is set in the way you see it. If you want to change that,
you change css file. Kobo cannot read minds. And it should not.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 01:54 AM   #42
digital_steve
Muppet
digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoran View Post
Who says things in life are easy to handle?
Err... isn't that the whole selling point of ebooks and digital media; ease of use and access?
I can see a whole argument developing over your points, so i won't bother and we can all save the hassle... it's a waste of time arguing with company fanboys/girls on any front (i see the same sort of comments on just about every forum i go to in reference to their particular brand favourite).

In the end, it boils down to the end user... which i am. I want certain things and if they aren't, or cannot, be delivered then i vote with my feet and wallet and go elsewhere. This is true for all products.

by the way, no one should really need to learn to modify CSS or program anything to get a product to utilise its whole screen
digital_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 02:13 AM   #43
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Margins set on some purchased ePUB's are terrible and the Kobo is no orphan with issues displaying poorly formated ebook purchases.

I recently had to fix the margins with two purchased ePUB's. I had to remove DRM before Calibre could sort out the issue.

They actually displayed on my PRS-300 inside the middle third of the screen until margins were fixed.

Even the best ereader in the world cannot cater for badly formatted ebooks that agency 5 publishers foist upon us on a regular basis, expecting us to pay top dollar for such dross.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 09:00 PM   #44
HamsterRage
Evangelist
HamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by digital_steve View Post
Err... isn't that the whole selling point of ebooks and digital media; ease of use and access?...

by the way, no one should really need to learn to modify CSS or program anything to get a product to utilise its whole screen
I think you need to remember that this is a new product and all software needs exposure to its user community to get the feature set sorted out.

In this case, I get the impression that the Kobo developers have been genuinely surprised at some of the issues that were raised as pain points with actual customers. While I think that was a bit naive of them, I have to give them credit for listening and responding to the concerns that we raised.

Personally, though, I'd prefer that they'd gone with smaller, more frequent firmware upgrade releases.
HamsterRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 11:10 PM   #45
JPenguin
Connoisseur
JPenguin began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo EReader, Kobo for Palm Pre
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamsterRage View Post
Personally, though, I'd prefer that they'd gone with smaller, more frequent firmware upgrade releases.
I think that may have been their development plan but they've either found testing to be much more critical than expected or they've just ended up tagging features/fixes on and it slows the process down. With the first firmware upgrade for example with a new company it's quite possible that the dev and QA teams weren't experienced with dealing with firmware as opposed to software.

I wish the first firmware update had come quicker, I found several of the issues fixed then to be real show-stoppers while now I'm still relatively satisfied with the reading experience. Plenty of room for improvement but I can wait.
JPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote