Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-22-2006, 01:07 AM   #1
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
Get your Java VM for iLiad here

OK OK I know, I was supposed to be working on my iDS server... but instead I just couldn't help testing out my spiffy new compiler chain for the iLiad itself.

I talked about a calculator for X but you know, that's just so boring.

So instead, I compiled wonka for the iLiad. And I got wonka working.

So, wherever that wiki is, I think I claim legitimate rights to "first person to compile Java VM for iLiad" and "first person to run a java application on the iLiad".

I've compiled wonka with X11 support, so, here's your new tool chain: java.

No messing around with cross compilers, just compile your code using your favorite Java 1.4.X (or lower, no java 1.5, sorry...) test it on your native system and when it's working: send it to your iLiad and use wonka to run it.

Yeah I know, still need to work on the X11 trigger stuff. But now we can worry that into Wonka and all the java code gets it for free.

Unpack the tar ball onto your favorite memory device. Put you class files in fsroot/system, cd to your memory card and then invoke ./wonka <your class name>

I'm off to tweak my Java RSS feeder to suck da' goods into my newspaper directory directly from my iLiad. Expect another posting shortly.
Attached Files
File Type: gz wonka.tar.gz (3.86 MB, 2432 views)
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 03:28 AM   #2
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

And of course what fun is it to have a Java VM, vi (via busybox) and not be able to compile java source on your iLiad?

http://s91215199.onlinehome.us/zaurus/ZJikes.zip

I unpack that zip at the same level as wonka. An example of using it to compile my (working) RSS feed puller:

./jikes -g -classpath ../fsroot/system/wre.jar:xpp3-1.1.3.4.K.jar TheDailyiLiadian.java

So with a few more tweaks to wonka for the e-ink, there you have it: a complete SDK on the iLiad itself.
Advert
Old 10-22-2006, 03:48 AM   #3
DHer
Addict
DHer doesn't litterDHer doesn't litter

Device: iliad
congratulations, scotty.

nice work. I'll try it next weekend, this one is too busy, unfortunately.
DHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 05:19 AM   #4
emkay
Zealot
emkay began at the beginning.

Great work Scotty!
Will give feedback once I've given it a go.
emkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 07:09 AM   #5
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
Good work once again Scotty1024!!!

Please feel free to post your achievements in the "Iliad apps" sticky at the beginning of your forum for everybody to find.

I wonder what will happen once the "real" SDK arrives...:-)
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2006, 07:24 AM   #6
b_k
Übernerd
b_k is on a distinguished road

Device: iRex iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR
... I wonder what will happen once the "real" SDK arrives...:-)
I hope the question to ask is only, which time, not if they ever will release it.
b_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 07:43 AM   #7
jęd
Evangelist
jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHer
congratulations, scotty.

nice work. I'll try it next weekend, this one is too busy, unfortunately.
Yes, looks interesting, though I'm probably not going to get any time to look at it until the weekend after next...
jęd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 09:24 AM   #8
arivero
Guru
arivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it is

Device: NCR3125, Nokia 770,...
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR
I wonder what will happen once the "real" SDK arrives...:-)
Well, we will get Look and Feel. And this is important. Plus smooth updating.

Currently the update of the screen can be done, I believe, via an
exec /usr/bin/displayMgrClient
or whatever way java has to execute external programs.

Usage: displayMgrClient -<option> <argument>
no arguments : send messages to local loop
-d <dotted decimal ip address> : send messages to ip address
-h : display this message
-p : test of partial update
-r <seconds> : repeat a full update every <seconds>
-t : update toolbar area

Also at your risk, you could kill the Xserver and restart it without the -p flag, because that flag is suppossed to "disable the partial update". But surely iRex has good reasons (buggy, most probably) to keep it disabled.
arivero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 09:36 AM   #9
arivero
Guru
arivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it is

Device: NCR3125, Nokia 770,...
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty1024
Unpack the tar ball onto your favorite memory device. Put you class files in fsroot/system, cd to your memory card and then invoke ./wonka <your class name>
Good you tell to use a memory device, and not the rootfs!

Can you take some pictures, design256's style, of the running thing?
arivero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 01:23 PM   #10
scotty1024
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by arivero
Well, we will get Look and Feel. And this is important. Plus smooth updating.

Currently the update of the screen can be done, I believe, via an
exec /usr/bin/displayMgrClient
or whatever way java has to execute external programs.
Sounds like I need to reverse the protocol being used and put that into Wonka's X support, then it will have "smooth updates" too.

Thanks for the tip.
Old 10-27-2006, 07:19 AM   #11
Gavrahil
Gavrahil began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Librié
Hey scotty, terrific job and as soon as I'll get my iliad (cause now I'll definitely get one) I'll give it a try, since I have a little java prog that's just begging for the capabilities of the iliad.

I have though two questions:
1- does this still work after the hole-plugging of 2.7.1?
2- As you said wonka doesn't support 1.5 java features. So have you tried SableVM as an alternative? I read on their website that there already is an ARM port for it. Maybe it'll work?

Keep up the good work, you're my hero at the moment.

Edit: Uhhhmm, scotty? Any chance of getting an answer?

Last edited by Gavrahil; 11-14-2006 at 02:02 AM.
Gavrahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 11:22 AM   #12
narve
iLiad fan
narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.

Of course, now that Java is open-source (GPL) it is just to compile it, I guess? No?
narve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 11:29 AM   #13
narve
iLiad fan
narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narve
Of course, now that Java is open-source (GPL) it is just to compile it, I guess? No?
Or perhaps GCJ -- native speed and less memory usage... then I can start creating iLiad apps as well
narve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 12:22 PM   #14
scotty1024
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavrahil
Hey scotty, terrific job and as soon as I'll get my iliad (cause now I'll definitely get one) I'll give it a try, since I have a little java prog that's just begging for the capabilities of the iliad.

I have though two questions:
1- does this still work after the hole-plugging of 2.7.1?
2- As you said wonka doesn't support 1.5 java features. So have you tried SableVM as an alternative? I read on their website that there already is an ARM port for it. Maybe it'll work?

Keep up the good work, you're my hero at the moment.

Edit: Uhhhmm, scotty? Any chance of getting an answer?
So many postings... missed this one some how.

I've been poking Wonka around some more but wouldn't mind finding another ARM capable JVM. I haven't looked at Sable.

Right now I'm effectively derailed full time into figuring out the bluez stack. The bigger the applications get, the more they want a keyboard. Plus I'd like to be able to hit the Internet from the bus.