Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-15-2009, 06:21 PM   #1
IntegrityWolf
^_^
IntegrityWolf began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle Touch (Wi-Fi)
Buying a Kindle book on different account...?

Hey everyone. I'm not sure if this is possible, but let's see...

My mother wants to get some books for me (they are on Amazon) I'm at college with my Kindle so she'd like to purchase the books on her account and then have them sent to my Kindle for me to read.

The problem is, I have my own Amazon account that I use with my Kindle. How can I get books from her from her account then?

Thanks!
IntegrityWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 06:25 PM   #2
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I think there is a way to do it, but probably the easiest way is just to have her log into your account
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2009, 07:02 PM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityWolf View Post
Hey everyone. I'm not sure if this is possible, but let's see...

My mother wants to get some books for me (they are on Amazon) I'm at college with my Kindle so she'd like to purchase the books on her account and then have them sent to my Kindle for me to read.

The problem is, I have my own Amazon account that I use with my Kindle. How can I get books from her from her account then?

Thanks!
Both Kindles have to be registered to the same account, using the same credit card, in order for books to be shared. HOWEVER, she can buy you a GC online, and you can buy the books she wants, just by applying it to your account. She cannot buy you a Kindle book if the account is different.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 07:09 PM   #4
IntegrityWolf
^_^
IntegrityWolf began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle Touch (Wi-Fi)
Mmm okay guys, thank you!

Yeah, I'm the only one with a Kindle in my family, and had it registered to my account.

I just did some more research and found some people saying that they had switched the Kindle from one account (theirs), to another (like their spouses), and then back to their old one. In the process, NO books were lost, and they had bought books on both accounts.

I may try this out for myself.
IntegrityWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 07:15 PM   #5
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityWolf View Post
Mmm okay guys, thank you!

Yeah, I'm the only one with a Kindle in my family, and had it registered to my account.

I just did some more research and found some people saying that they had switched the Kindle from one account (theirs), to another (like their spouses), and then back to their old one. In the process, NO books were lost, and they had bought books on both accounts.

I may try this out for myself.
It may or may not work, but thats an awful lot of trouble to go thru when all you need is a GC...............
Advert
Old 01-15-2009, 09:55 PM   #6
MonaLS
Groupie
MonaLS began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle (Gen 1), Kindle DX, Kindle Fire, LG Enact
The easiest way at present is for your Mom to buy you an Amazon gift certificate in the amount of the books she wants to give you. Amazon has not made this part easy.
MonaLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 09:27 PM   #7
Gemini Fang
Gemini Fang began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I don't know a way for her to wirelessly download them, BUT; The way you mentioned does work. Here's how:
1. deregister your kindle from your own account.
2. either have your mom log in or pull up her account.
3. Register the kindle onto her account
4. sync the books to your kindle
5. deregister from your moms account
6. Reregister it back on your own.

It really works. The only draw-back is that if you delete them from the device, you have to repeat these steps to send them again. I hope this helps.
Gemini Fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 09:35 PM   #8
brn_eyed_girl81
Connoisseur
brn_eyed_girl81 began at the beginning.

My husband and I created a separate Kindle-only Amazon account so we can share (although we generally have different taste in books). We made a separate one just so that we can still buy gifts and such secretly on our individual accounts. It's worked out very well for us. We thought it was easier than registering/deregistering.
brn_eyed_girl81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 10:30 AM   #9
StanDaMan
Connoisseur
StanDaMan began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini Fang View Post
I don't know a way for her to wirelessly download them, BUT; The way you mentioned does work. Here's how:

It really works. The only draw-back is that if you delete them from the device, you have to repeat these steps to send them again. I hope this helps.
I was going to suggest the gift certificate idea too. But this may not be a bad option if you have a few extra minutes (and you don't have to do it often). It *MAY* be against the DRM agreement though...
StanDaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 12:06 AM   #10
shannojh
shannojh began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini Fang View Post

Can you sync the books purchased thru Mom's acct to yours? That would solve the deletion problem w/ouy having to go back to Mom. Thanks!
shannojh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 01:02 AM   #11
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

shannojh, Welcome to Mobileread.

How about going to the "introduce myself" page, and letting us know where you are from, and what you like to read?

We'd love to be able to welcome you properly.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=49

Just start a new thread.......

Ask questions if you have them.......we love to answer!
Old 06-12-2009, 11:08 PM   #12
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Safest way is get her to buy it on your account. Or better still, as mentioned, create a shared Kindle account. That's what I do with my mom. Even though we have a lot of different reading interests, there is some cross-over in what we like to read.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote