Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Handhelds and Smartphones

Notices

Old 01-19-2005, 10:29 AM   #1
PaulJManoogian
PaulJManoogian began at the beginning.

Device: Dell Axim x30
Run Other PCs from your PPC

Some time ago, eHomeUpgrade had posted a story on RealVNC. RealVNC is a cross-platform application that allows users to remotely assume control (with full access) of a computer across a network, such as via a Wi-Fi connection to the internet.

Wired has a feature story on Austrian tech columnist, Teddy The Bear who can be seen showing off his Apple Powerbook's OS X desktop in Vienna via his 640x480 VGA Wi-Fi Pocket PC. Teddy says he uses his remote setup for "productivity (email, surfing, word-processing), queuing up TV shows to record on his Mac using EyeTV, and accessing his digital media files back at home."

Don't get too excited, though. A lot of the underlying research technology, originally developed at AT&T (Bell) Labs, and now taken over by the RealVNC Open Source project, was designed for "older" operating system environments. You'll still have to search around to find a version that will work with, say, your latest ARM and SH4 processors. ...and if your remote computer crashes, you're obviously going to get disconnected.

Source: [ eHomeUpgrade ]
Old 01-19-2005, 10:46 AM   #2
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
... but I have been doing this with my X50v all the time!

Attached is a screenshot of me connecting wirelessly to my home computer via Remote Client access, at this very moment

Windows Remote Desktop, which is included with Win XP Pro and Win Server 2003 proved to be even more efficient than RealVNC.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen002.jpg
Views:	711
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	490  
Advert
Old 01-19-2005, 10:50 AM   #3
Pride Of Lions
just kinda geeky
Pride Of Lions began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
It's technologies like this...

...that would make me convert to a PPC guy and buy one of those powerful gadgets. Or, maybe the software will be ready by the time the 2006 Wi-Fi Zodiac emerges from my thoughts.

Being able to control my desktop from my handheld would just be amazing.
POL9A
Old 01-19-2005, 10:53 AM   #4
doctorow
Guru
doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Alex this screenshot rocks! I really envy you for your toy. Wireless and access to a remote desktop PC... my dream would come true!

Btw is that iSilo that I see there sitting in your upper left taskbar?
Old 01-19-2005, 01:23 PM   #5
Traecer Prime
Connoisseur
Traecer Prime began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T2
VNC for Palm OS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pride Of Lions
...that would make me convert to a PPC guy and buy one of those powerful gadgets. Or, maybe the software will be ready by the time the 2006 Wi-Fi Zodiac emerges from my thoughts.

Being able to control my desktop from my handheld would just be amazing.
POL9A
Assuming you're talking about switching from Palm to Windows Mobile, VNC is available for Palm OS devices. In fact, there are 2 different programs that implement the VNC protocol:

PalmVNC: http://www.palmgear.com/index.cfm?fu...1&prodID=46656

and

micro-VNC: http://www.palmgear.com/index.cfm?fu...1&prodID=72847
Advert
Old 01-19-2005, 03:57 PM   #6
hacker
Technology Mercenary
hacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with others

Device: Direct Neural Implant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traecer Prime
Assuming you're talking about switching from Palm to Windows Mobile, VNC is available for Palm OS devices. In fact, there are 2 different programs that implement the VNC protocol:
Have you actually tried these on Palm devices? They're both absolutely HORRIBLE (and µvnc fails to connect to any VNC machine I have here. The other one refuses to work with proper colorizing, but does connect). Scaling is completely broken on both.

It is for this reason, I prefer to use ssh for remote admin over vnc. These (Palm) apps, while a good start, aren't ready for real production use yet.
Old 01-19-2005, 05:25 PM   #7
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PocketBook Era
Talking Zodiac and VNC

PalmVNC on the Zodiac with a WiFi card works pretty good (and PalmVNC will - with some coaxing - use the whole screen).

It's great fun to mess with my co-worker's PC from the bathroom stall.
Old 01-19-2005, 06:21 PM   #8
Brian
MobileRead Editor
Brian has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Treo 700p, Zodiac2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlauzon
PalmVNC on the Zodiac with a WiFi card works pretty good (and PalmVNC will - with some coaxing - use the whole screen).

It's great fun to mess with my co-worker's PC from the bathroom stall.
I agree, it works extremely well on my Zodiac over Wifi with very little lag.

Here's a screenshot:

Hacker, make sure you're using the latest version (2.0.6-dev). I found the same colorizing problems you mention with v2.0 on my Zodiac.

Brian

Last edited by ballistic; 01-19-2005 at 06:24 PM.
Old 01-19-2005, 07:33 PM   #9
Chaos
Evangelist
Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Assorted older devices
Remember... Although it works over a LAN, don't expect it to work with a usable speed over the internet. While a LAN, even wireless, is anywhere from (usually) 11 mbps to 100 (or even 1000) mbps, internet rarely exceeds 4-5 mbps.
Old 01-19-2005, 10:32 PM   #10
cbarnett
MR prodigal son
cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
I haven't used VNC on my ppc, but have had the beta for pcanywhere working beautifully (admittedly using activesync to connect to a pc first) until the beta expired.

My next device _will_ have wifi....and VGA..... and bluetooth....

Craig.
Old 01-20-2005, 03:18 AM   #11
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos
Remember... Although it works over a LAN, don't expect it to work with a usable speed over the internet. While a LAN, even wireless, is anywhere from (usually) 11 mbps to 100 (or even 1000) mbps, internet rarely exceeds 4-5 mbps.
That it how I found the Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) (Windows XP, 2003) to be more efficient than VNC. You could even control a remote PC from a slow ISDN (64kbit) line. Alas, it requires the server to be a Windows machine, so it is not suitable to everyone.

Does anyone know if there is the possiblitiy to do X Windows forwarding via ssh on a handheld? Zaurus handhelds perhaps?
Old 01-25-2005, 10:44 AM   #12
PaulJManoogian
PaulJManoogian began at the beginning.

Device: Dell Axim x30
Wow, I go away for a few days and there's a flurry about my post! How cool! Discussion is how we figure out what works best!

The only "plus side" to the RealVNC tools, that I could see, was that you could use them on multiple platforms. I agree with the others that the Remote Desktop, or PCAnywhere type choices may work better (or free), I just hadn't found anything that would span so many OS types. Not a perfect solution, but "A" solution.
Old 01-25-2005, 04:25 PM   #13
Liqiud
Infinite Oblivion
Liqiud began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Clie PEG-UX50
Interesting