Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-08-2014, 02:05 PM   #1
mark_e_h
Connoisseur
mark_e_h began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/IpadMini
Kindle Voyage??

Does Calibre work with the new Kindle Voyage??

thnx....

mark_e_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 02:12 PM   #2
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_e_h View Post
Does Calibre work with the new Kindle Voyage??
Not it doesn't.
It will, I am sure, as soon as the first users send debug log to Kovid Goyal.

In the meanwhile, for entire week, perhaps even two, you will have to resort to copying books to Voyage from Calibre as if if it was an external disk ;-)
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2014, 04:17 AM   #3
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
Not it doesn't....
and you know that how, as device has not been released ?

please explain how your psychic device testing works, for the benefit of us less talented mortals...

the Kindle Voyage release date is scheduled for October 21 or November 4 in the UK
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 04:20 AM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
and you know that how, as device has not been released ?
That is how we know it is not currently supported!

Quote:
please explain how your psychic device testing works, for the benefit of us less talented mortals...
The debug log that was mentioned will provide the USB ID's used by the Kindle Voyage. Once Calibre has been updated with those then it will be recognized. However until it is released those ID's cannot be captured.

This is the process that has to be followed for each new ereader device that becomes available.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 04:26 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Actually, for the last couple of Kindle generations, Amazon has not been changing USB ids, if they continue that with the Voyage, then it should just work automatically.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2014, 01:08 PM   #6
BrentB
Connoisseur
BrentB can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.BrentB can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.BrentB can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.BrentB can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.BrentB can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.BrentB can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.BrentB can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.BrentB can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.BrentB can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.BrentB can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.BrentB can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Calibre does recognize the Voyager, and you are able to sideload books! However, I've noticed that the AZW3 book covers are smaller when in cover view, while the covers for MOBI files are "full size". Any ideas why this might be?

I have removed any "Tags" in the metadata (I seem to remember this being an issue earlier).
BrentB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 08:06 PM   #7
Tess89
Enthusiast
Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentB View Post
Calibre does recognize the Voyager, and you are able to sideload books! However, I've noticed that the AZW3 book covers are smaller when in cover view, while the covers for MOBI files are "full size". Any ideas why this might be?

I have removed any "Tags" in the metadata (I seem to remember this being an issue earlier).
Yeah, except in my case all of my sideloaded mobi books have tiny covers on my Voyage. Weird.
Tess89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 08:52 PM   #8
BrentB
Connoisseur
BrentB can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.BrentB can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.BrentB can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.BrentB can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.BrentB can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.BrentB can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.BrentB can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.BrentB can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.BrentB can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.BrentB can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.BrentB can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tess89 View Post
Yeah, except in my case all of my sideloaded mobi books have tiny covers on my Voyage. Weird.
You're right. I have also had some MOBI files that had small covers as well, so I guess it's not a AZW3 vs. MOBI issue.
Old 10-21-2014, 09:29 PM   #9
Waitingforatrain
Groupie
Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Voyage
This is most likely due to the 300dpi voyage screen. Cover resolution is likely to be much less.
Waitingforatrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 10:19 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Since I dont have a Voyage, I cant be sure, but most likely when calibre sends covers, it generates a 330px high thumbnail. That might be too small for the Voyage, and for some books, probably the Voyage is re-generating the cover thumbnail from the cover inside the book, but not for others. If someone can check what size thumbnails the Voyage needs, and assuming that those do not cause problems with the other Kindles, I can make the required change to the kindle driver.
Old 10-22-2014, 07:52 AM   #11
BrentB
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Since I dont have a Voyage, I cant be sure, but most likely when calibre sends covers, it generates a 330px high thumbnail. That might be too small for the Voyage, and for some books, probably the Voyage is re-generating the cover thumbnail from the cover inside the book, but not for others. If someone can check what size thumbnails the Voyage needs, and assuming that those do not cause problems with the other Kindles, I can make the required change to the kindle driver.
Is there a way to check this on the stock device?
Old 10-22-2014, 10:00 AM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Browse the files on the Kindle using windows explorer and look for image files int he filesystem. Find one that is the thumbnail for a book you got directly from amazon, as opposed to having been loaded with calibre, and check the size of the image. If you can find a couple of such files, with the same image size that should give us the right thumbnail size.
Old 10-22-2014, 10:44 AM   #13
BrentB
Connoisseur

Here are a few of the resolutions for images that showed up full size:
305x436 - 305x407 - 302x467

Here are two of the resolutions for images that were added by Calibre that were small:
216x330 - 217x330

Hope this helps!

EDIT: 470 vertical pixels seems to be a very good height. I've edited the .jpg files in the \system\thumbnails directory (which was hidden) for all the books I've added so far and now they look good.

Last edited by BrentB; 10-22-2014 at 11:15 AM.
Old 10-22-2014, 10:38 PM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...9e13727a4afc46
Old 10-23-2014, 12:44 AM   #15
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Code:
-    THUMBNAIL_HEIGHT         = 330
     # x262 on the Touch. Doesn't choke on x330, though.
+    # x470 on the Voyage, checked that it works on PW, dont have Touch anymore
+    THUMBNAIL_HEIGHT         = 470
And I have confirmed they still work OK for the Touch as well, in case anyone was wondering.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle voyage