Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-23-2012, 08:47 PM   #1
History
Enthusiast
History began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
reading ebooks in the rain

I just tried to read my kobo in the rain (umbrella in the other hand) with a freezer bag over the kobo. However, the waving air between the plastic and the screen made the reading quite hard.

I know that water and electronics should not mix. So any tips, advice for reading ebooks in the rain please,

Cheers

Last edited by History; 07-23-2012 at 08:48 PM. Reason: spelling
History is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:48 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Well I am reading quite happily in the rain on my Kobo; of course... I am sitting inside and it is raining outside
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2012, 09:04 PM   #3
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
lol, no. walking, talking, dancing, biking in the rain yes, but these involve movement. Standing in the rain is most terrible. I can't imagine trying to read as well.
Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:27 PM   #4
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
There are waterproof / splashproof cases available for ereaders. Some as fancy as molded clear plastic, others are plastic pouches, but of a better weight than a freezer bag so you don't get the rippling plastic obscuring the screen. Just googling "waterproof kobo" brings up several results. Amazon is sure to have a selection. Many ereaders are similar in size, so the pouch-type cases work for many different models.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:29 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
There are waterproof / splashproof cases available for ereaders. Some as fancy as molded clear plastic, others are plastic pouches, but of a better weight than a freezer bag so you don't get the rippling plastic obscuring the screen. Just googling "waterproof kobo" brings up several results. Amazon is sure to have a selection. Many ereaders are similar in size, so the pouch-type cases work for many different models.
I don't think these waterproof bags will work very well for readers with IR touch.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2012, 09:30 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by History View Post
So any tips, advice for reading ebooks in the rain please,

Cheers
The only tip you need...

Tip for reading in the rain: DON'T!
Old 07-23-2012, 09:33 PM   #7
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I don't think these waterproof bags will work very well for readers with IR touch.
Eh. I keep forgetting not everyone has buttons. But the OP was using it with a freezer bag, so how was that working?
Old 07-23-2012, 09:36 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Eh. I keep forgetting not everyone has buttons. But the OP was using it with a freezer bag, so how was that working?
Your answer was posted in the first post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by History View Post
I just tried to read my kobo in the rain (umbrella in the other hand) with a freezer bag over the kobo. However, the waving air between the plastic and the screen made the reading quite hard.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:40 PM   #9
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist

Quote:
Your answer was posted in the first post.
Heh. Yeah. I was thinking in terms of obscuring the page rather than turning the page... back and forth uncontrollably, most likely.

I'll shut up now and go read.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:43 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Heh. Yeah. I was thinking in terms of obscuring the page rather than turning the page... back and forth uncontrollably, most likely.

I'll shut up now and go read.
So what are you reading? I'm reading Sins of the Father by Lawrence Block.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:12 PM   #11
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist

Quote:
So what are you reading? I'm reading Sins of the Father by Lawrence Block.
Hint: Stop by the Dresden thread. So that we don't derail this one.
Old 07-24-2012, 03:39 AM   #12
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I have a PRS-350 which I use mostly for reading on the bus. I have read it in the rain numerous times while waiting at an unsheltered bus stop. So far so good. Not the greatest place to read but sometimes I have a long wait.

I see many people using cellphones and Ipods in the rain, so I am assuming these devices and ebook readers are fairly waterproof unless immersed.

I do know there is a risk of damage, but I take my chances and hope for the best.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 04:39 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
I see many people using cellphones and Ipods in the rain, so I am assuming these devices and ebook readers are fairly waterproof unless immersed.
Perhaps an unwise assumption. Mobile phones are "shower-proof", but I suspect that eBook readers aren't .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 05:25 AM   #14
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
I would definitely NOT recommend using a Kobo Touch in the rain. I'd imagine if water got on the touch screen and got into the side areas it would cause havoc with the device.

I did a quick google search and found this:
http://www.proporta.com/F02/PPF02P05...836&t_mode=des

I've not used it but it says it waterproofs the KT and you can still use the touchscreen.
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 05:44 AM   #15
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Well, I had to dodge sprinklers in the park yesterday and then my phone - DroidX didn't work (no sound). I figured it was toast as a drop of water must have gotten in the ear-plug....I tried just about everything but no go....so went to the verizon store expecting to have to get a new phone....but....they were able to get it working again...some weirdness with the earpiece jack I guess....even though I'd tried plugging, unplugging etc....

Boy that Galaxy S III is lookin' good though.

Moral of the story? Take care with ereaders and water.
(and don't let the monkeys near them)
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote