Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-27-2011, 01:45 PM   #31
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Don't forget Georges Simenon's Inspector Maigret mysteries.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 05:14 PM   #32
philandjan
Trainee Old Git
philandjan doesn't litterphilandjan doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
Jo Nesbo's Harry Hole books are set in Norway
philandjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2011, 06:56 PM   #33
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Chief Inspector Chen Cao - Qiu Xiaolong - Shanghai
Inspector Rostnikov - Stuart M Kaminsky - Russia
Arkady Renko - Martin Cruz Smith - Russia
Inspector Van Veeteren - Hakan Nesser - Sweden
Anders Knutas - Mari Jungstedt - Sweden
Martin Beck - Maj Sjowall & Per Wahloo -Sweden
Sano Ichiro Mysteries - Laura Joh Rowland - Japan

Hope I haven't repeated any of the many excellent suggestions

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 03:23 PM   #34
anjirlly
Groupie
anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle on Android phone; PB360; Sony 950
Just discovered a blog that is a good match for this thread, as it features interviews with mystery writers whose books have a strong spirit of place. I found it while Googling to learn more about The Crossing Places, set in Norfolk, England, by Elly Griffiths.
http://jsydneyjones.wordpress.com/
anjirlly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 03:58 PM   #35
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjirlly View Post
Just discovered a blog that is a good match for this thread, as it features interviews with mystery writers whose books have a strong spirit of place. I found it while Googling to learn more about The Crossing Places, set in Norfolk, England, by Elly Griffiths.
http://jsydneyjones.wordpress.com/
if you like Norfolk as a setting, there's a good detective series by S. T. Haymon. Unfortunately, I don't think they're in print anymore, much less available as ebooks.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2011, 12:44 PM   #36
anjirlly
Groupie
anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle on Android phone; PB360; Sony 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
if you like Norfolk as a setting, there's a good detective series by S. T. Haymon. Unfortunately, I don't think they're in print anymore, much less available as ebooks.
Thanks, Issy! I particularly liked the description of the salt marshes, but the whole county is steeped in history. I ordered the first novel by S.T. Harmon through interlibrary loan, avoiding the temptation to jumpt straight to the title about the warrior queen, presumably Boadicea.

Last edited by anjirlly; 10-30-2011 at 12:45 PM. Reason: thumbs up emoticon didn't appear correctly
anjirlly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 09:12 PM   #37
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
A couple of Aussie ones
Peter Corris's Cliff Hardy Series, Peter Temple novels or for a cozy style The Phryne Fisher series set in 1920's Melbourne
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 09:15 AM   #38
mediax
Readaholic
mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2 (previously 505 and 650)
Another vote for Martin Cruz Smith's Arkady Renko series - and I'm surprised no-one's mentioned Michael Dibden's Aurelio Zen series (set in modern day Italy). [If someone has, please accept my apologies for overlooking your contribution!]
mediax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 10:22 PM   #39
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
I just found and am almost done with the third of the five book "Baroque Mystery" series by Beverle Graves Myers set in 18th century Venice (and a bit around other various parts of what was not quite yet Italy). Obviously I've enjoyed them so far. Hero/sleuth is a castrato opera singer, Tito Amato.

I also really like the long-out-of-print and not available in e-book "Stone Angel" series by Marvin Albert. Hero is a half-American/half-French private eye, Pierre-Ange Sawyer. (Pierre-Ange translates literally to "Stone Angel" in English.) The books really give me a sense-of-place for the south of France, and also for parts of Paris. I used to have a job that took me to France from time to time, and I've visited several of the places in the books (Arles, Eze, St Remy, the Camargue and Stes Marie de Mer, Cannes, etc.) and when I arrived in each of these places, the descriptions made me feel as if I had already been there before.

Last edited by sufue; 11-03-2011 at 10:27 PM.
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 10:37 PM   #40
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
And, how could I have forgotten the Arthur Upfield/Inspector Bonaparte mysteries, set in various spots around Australia. Again not available (to my knowledge) in the US as e-books - maybe in Canada or Australia???

Another set of books, like the Marvin Albert ones in my previous post, where I really get a sense of place. But in this case I've only been to Australia once for two days, for work, with only about 3 hours one morning to sight-see, so I'm not sure how accurate the sense-of-place really is!
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 05:06 AM   #41
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mediax View Post
Another vote for Martin Cruz Smith's Arkady Renko series - and I'm surprised no-one's mentioned Michael Dibden's Aurelio Zen series (set in modern day Italy). [If someone has, please accept my apologies for overlooking your contribution!]
Recently televised by the BBC in a short series. Very good, I thought (the TV series, that is - I haven't read the books).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 06:15 AM   #42
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
As the OP said, books with overseas authors and settings is conditional to where you reside ..... so here are some authors from my reading list that don't appear to have been mentioned by previous posters:

France

Bond, Micheal - Monsieur Pamplemousse crime/mystery stories are contemporary and set in Paris and various regions. Michael Bond is the author of the Paddington Bear stories - this series is quite a departure from that.

Walker, Martin - Bruno Courreges crime/mystery stories are contemporary and set in the Perigord region of France. Walker is English and has spent a lot of time in this area.

Italy

Hewson, John - Nic Costa series set in Rome and sometimes other locales. BTW, Hewson has been appointed to write The Killing book - that is, the award winning Danish TV series didn't have a book behind it - and Hewson is now well and truly into writing the novel.

Russia

Akunin, Boris - Erast Fandorin adventures are set in Russia from the 1880's or so on. These are translated books.

Various countries

Pearce, Michael - Dead Man in .... series. Set from about 1905 on, in and around various British Embassies on the continent.

Enjoy!
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 06:25 AM   #43
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
I've enjoyed reading everyone's contributions and have read a number of the authors mentioned.

Add me to the lovers of Amelia Peabody as well!!! I went to Egypt some years after I had finished reading Peter's Amelia novels, and it truly amazed me how much of the descriptions of the Egyptian landscape had etched its way into my sub-conscious.

I stood at Luxor and knew that the hills opposite were the Theban Hills, I automatically knew where Deir el Bari was when we were some miles from it, and aspects of the valley of the Kings. Likewise with various landscapes at Giza and along the Nile.

My family thought I must have studied maps of the areas because I could point things out to them and they were stunned that I knew what I knew, lol!!

And so was I stunned that I knew all this!!
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 07:27 AM   #44
LucyLu
Bookaholic
LucyLu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyLu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyLu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyLu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyLu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyLu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyLu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyLu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyLu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyLu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyLu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Opus, PocketBook Touch
Italy:

Andrea Camilleri - Inspector Montalbano Series (bestsellers books in Italy and from which was created a very successfull TV series)
Massimo Carlotto - Death's dark abyss
Niccolo Ammaniti - I’m not scared
John Grisham - The broker
Steven Saylor - Roma sub rosa Series

Spain:

Carlos Ruiz Zafon - The shadow of the wind
Carlos Ruiz Zafon - The angel's game

France:

T. A. Chappel - Mask in the corridor

Sweden:

Lars Kepler - The hypnotist
Johan Theorin - The darkest room

Sorry for the long list but when the books are involved I can't resist!

Last edited by LucyLu; 05-27-2012 at 07:29 AM.
LucyLu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 07:51 AM   #45
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyLu View Post
Sweden:

Lars Kepler - The hypnotist
[...]
Have you actually read The Hypnotist? IMHO, this is easily the worst Nordic thriller I've ever read.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote