Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 05-08-2010, 06:44 PM   #1
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
Problems with Sigil...

I just got a Sony Reader, so I'm new to ePub books. I used to convert Word files to MobiPocket and read on my PDA. Here's what I'm doing now:

I format my book in Word 2003 using bold, italics, page breaks, etc. But I don't use the Header1, Header2 stuff.

I open the Word file in Open Office Writer and save as HTML (for a cleaner HTML file).

I open the HTML file in Sigil and break it into chapters, then save as ePub.

The last step is importing into Calibre and converting from ePub to ePub after I update the metadata.

The problem I'm having is when I open the HTML file in Sigil. If there's any words in italics, Sigil removes the spaces before and after the words.
I'm not interested at all in learning HTML or tags, so I like how easily Sigil formats the books. But if I have to sort through 500 pages looking for italics, I'll have to look for something else. Even a spell-checker would help find them I guess.
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 08:31 PM   #2
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinp View Post
The last step is importing into Calibre and converting from ePub to ePub after I update the metadata.
May I ask why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinp View Post
The problem I'm having is when I open the HTML file in Sigil. If there's any words in italics, Sigil removes the spaces before and after the words.
What version of Sigil are you running?
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 09:09 PM   #3
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
I had problems adding a cover image. I add it in the correct place, but when I open the book, there's a large space at the top of the page and the bottom of the image is chopped off.

Also, I like how I can just add the ISBN in Calibre, press a button and have it import the title, author, description, etc., even the book cover (with the push of another button).

I use Calibre to sort my books and import them into my Sony Reader and I like being able to add and search tags and listing the books that are in a series.

I'm using the latest version - 0.2.0
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 07:09 AM   #4
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Create a new issue on the tracker and attach a file that loses spaces around italics when imported. More information here.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 12:33 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
Create a new issue on the tracker and attach a file that loses spaces around italics when imported. More information here.
This may be related to the bug report I filed a while back, where the spacing on (only) some Italics appeared extra wide in the GUI. (And my replace with attributes, feature request on S&R was me trying to fix a missing leading space (not reported, cuz I thought it was my fault) on Italics).
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote