Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 05-22-2007, 10:30 PM   #1
Kelly64
Kelly64 began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad
eBooks.com Adobe Reader format- iLiad compatible?

Firstly, I'll give the traditional "I'm a total newcomer so excuse my ignorance/stupidity/rudeness" apology. I just opened my iLiad box about two hours ago and it is sitting here beside me completing its very first charge.

So, of course, now I'm looking for content. I'm looking at the moment at a book at eBooks.com in the WROX series, Professional Java JDK 6 edition. It says it is available in Adobe Reader format.

My question...is the "Adobe Reader" format used by eBooks.com some sort of DRM encumbered thing that won't work on the iLiad? If so, are there any alternative sellers that have the WROX books in a different format that *is* supported by the iLiad E.G.: Mobipocket format?

I'm not against DRM in principle, just when it interferes with my ability to access content that I've paid for
Kelly64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 04:10 AM   #2
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PocketBook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly64
My question...is the "Adobe Reader" format used by eBooks.com some sort of DRM encumbered thing that won't work on the iLiad?
I've never paid money for something from eBooks.com, so I can't say for sure, but since it talks about "activating" your copy of Acrobat Reader, I'd say that most of their books are DRMed and that the they won't work on the iLiad.

Their site implies that not all their books are DRMed, though. So some will work, but since they don't specify that information in the book description, it's going to be hit or miss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly64
If so, are there any alternative sellers that have the WROX books in a different format that *is* supported by the iLiad E.G.: Mobipocket format?
Not that I am aware of. I have seen sites that offer non-DRMed PDFs of old versions of commercial books, but I was unable to see if what they were doing was legal or not.
rlauzon is offline   Reply With Quote