Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-10-2010, 03:07 AM   #1
capidamonte
Not who you think I am...
capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: PocketBook 360 -- Ivory
0.7.8 is Super-Snappy!

I see on the Changelog page that there was a bugfix for a cover-browser-related UI slowdown.

I was using Calibre on on older 3.2 Mhz P4 lappy -- it was fine, but there was some wheezing and, occasionally, serious overheating. It was one of the (many) reasons I switched to an awesome, newer CoreDuo HP Dragon.

But I had been expecting a bigger improvement in Calibre's speed than I got. I mean, it was better, but not 2 generations better.

Anyhow, it arrived today! 0.7.8 just flies open (4 secs!), doesn't show a blank UI, nor does it give me an extra mini-browser window in the corner on first start-up. Everything about it is super-snappy so far. The CPU spikes briefly when I browse covers, but that's it. The loader process isn't hanging around, hurting responsiveness.

Now I'm tempted to dig out the old laptop and give it another go!

Thanks!
capidamonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 08:11 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
There have been on going performance improvements in pretty much every release of the 0.7 series staring from 0.7.0. Performance and UI tweaking are the major goals of my current development efforts. Glad to see my efforts are strting to pay off.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 08:15 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Has anyone hovered their mouse over the Heart in 7.8

I just updated my Linux version. Brisk...
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 08:40 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Has anyone hovered their mouse over the Heart in 7.8
That was to show off for Krittika, who said it would be cool to see the heart beat
Old 07-10-2010, 09:41 AM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
That was to show off for Krittika, who said it would be cool to see the heart beat
I feel left out in Windows XP, no beating heart.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 09:48 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
I feel left out in Windows XP, no beating heart.
Odd, have you disabled animations in Preferences->interface
Old 07-10-2010, 01:19 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
I just updated my XP version:
I had animations disabled on that one.. Untick CPR

We have Heartbeat
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 11:05 PM   #8
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Yes I did.

[animation on]Ooooh cool, a beating heart[animation off]

I wouldn't have thought the beating heart would be an option, anything that attracts attention to the cause is a good thing.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 11:24 PM   #9
*reg*
Human
*reg* is no ebook tyro.*reg* is no ebook tyro.*reg* is no ebook tyro.*reg* is no ebook tyro.*reg* is no ebook tyro.*reg* is no ebook tyro.*reg* is no ebook tyro.*reg* is no ebook tyro.*reg* is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo, iPhone
Loving it! Looking very slick!

Some money donated your way Kovid to say
*reg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 05:32 AM   #10
rollercoaster
Zealot
rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 2
Is it possible to pre-fetch meta and cover info when using the up/down keys in the books list (and in other appropriate places). Currently there is a very small but noticeable delay when pressing up or down for books/meta and covers and super fast of books with no meta/cover

for me: the larger the text in comments, the longer the pause

v0.7.8 / Win7 / 1.83GHZ x 2

Last edited by rollercoaster; 07-11-2010 at 05:34 AM.
rollercoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 11:04 AM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

covers are cached. Currently there's a rather slow transform of comments into html that causes the delay, which is on my TODO list to fix.

Tags
calibre, snappy, speed, woo-hoo!