Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 08-30-2004, 03:21 AM   #1
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!
Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim
Things Google knows about you

I don't like this... things Google knows about you:

- Everything you search for using Google
- Every web page you visit that has Google Adsense ads on it
- Which country you're in
- Every Blogger page you visit, and the referring page

* If you have an Adsense account
- Your full name, address and bank account details
- The IP address of everyone who visits your pages with Adsense ads on them
- The number of visitors to each of your pages with Adsense ads on them

* If you use a GMail account
- Who you send emails to
- Who sends emails to you
- The contents of those emails
- The contents of all emails received from any mailing lists of which you are a member, even if they are private mailing lists.

* Even if you don't use a GMail account
- The contents of any emails you send to anyone who does use a GMail account
- The contents of any emails you send to any mailing lists of which any one member uses a GMail account

* If you're a member of Orkut
- Your online social network, interests and groups

Colin Dunstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 08:02 AM   #2
ignatz
mechanoholic
ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR/iPhone 4S/EVO 4G
Hummm. Don't know what to say about this except: flush your cookies frequently. Does anyone know of a Firefox extension that would flush selected cookies daily? I want to leave my NYTimes and Gmail cookies, for example, but wouldn't mind flushing my Google search cookies daily or hourly...
ignatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2004, 09:04 AM   #3
Brian
MobileRead Editor
Brian has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Treo 700p, Zodiac2
I wouldn't necessarily single out Google and I'm really not too concerned about Google violating my 'privacy'. Check Google's EULA and privacy policies, or anyone you do business with online for that matter. By using their services you agree to these terms.

Everywhere you go and everything you do both online and in your daily life can leave traces and pieces of your personal information behind. As long as you're aware of the traces you leave behind, how to protect yourself, are aware of what the companies do with information and who they do or don't share your information with, I don't find this to be a problem.

I'm personally more concerned with a certain company's operating system and software that have serious security flaws and susceptibility to worms and viruses. I'm more concerned about my personal information being stolen from an e-commerce site I do business with online due to security flaws that would expose their customer's personal information, leading to identity theft and fraud.

Last edited by ballistic; 08-30-2004 at 09:07 AM.
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 01:58 PM   #4
ArcBody
ArcBody began at the beginning.

Device: T600 w/Repeater iQue 3600
Arrow 2¢ - "Gmail and Privacy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheus
I don't like this... things Google knows about you: . . . .From: Hublog.
The Following is a direct quote from the fine print at Google Gmail - "Gmail and Privacy"

http://gmail.google.com/gmail/help/more.html

"Google also uses this scanning technology to deliver targeted text ads and other related information."

It can be found in the section - "Scanning email content"

Cheers ~ Carl (aka ArcBody)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MDISI_Time_Warp©.jpg
Views:	544
Size:	121.9 KB
ID:	372  
ArcBody is offline   Reply With Quote