Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 12-27-2012, 03:41 PM   #1
MooseFam5
Enthusiast
MooseFam5 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueMooseFam5 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueMooseFam5 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueMooseFam5 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueMooseFam5 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueMooseFam5 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueMooseFam5 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueMooseFam5 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueMooseFam5 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueMooseFam5 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueMooseFam5 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Nook STR, Nook Tablet
File Size of ADE ePubs?

I imported a few ADE ePubs into Calibre and noticed the file sizes were very large- 2 to 5 MBs. These are not very large books. I opened them in Sigil and looked at the dozen or so images. Nothing large enough to explain the size of the file.

I even ran the Modify ePub plugin (great plugin, BTW!) and selected the Adobe Modification options (the bottom 2). That shaved about 0.1 MB off the file size but they remain the largest files in my library.

I'm curious- what causes these files to be so large? Based on the page count and relative lack of images, I'd expect them to be somewhere in the 300 KB range.
MooseFam5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 04:31 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseFam5 View Post
I imported a few ADE ePubs into Calibre and noticed the file sizes were very large- 2 to 5 MBs. These are not very large books. I opened them in Sigil and looked at the dozen or so images. Nothing large enough to explain the size of the file.

I even ran the Modify ePub plugin (great plugin, BTW!) and selected the Adobe Modification options (the bottom 2). That shaved about 0.1 MB off the file size but they remain the largest files in my library.

I'm curious- what causes these files to be so large? Based on the page count and relative lack of images, I'd expect them to be somewhere in the 300 KB range.
Probably Lousy (or word cruft) coding. Sigil CV should make that visible.
A million @fonts and other useless garbage that can be removed 500K is a big EPUB when few images are included.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2012, 05:21 PM   #3
MooseFam5
Enthusiast
MooseFam5 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueMooseFam5 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueMooseFam5 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueMooseFam5 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueMooseFam5 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueMooseFam5 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueMooseFam5 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueMooseFam5 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueMooseFam5 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueMooseFam5 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueMooseFam5 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Hmmm- is it something that would be apparent to the semi-trained eye? I've used Sigil to fix typos, create better TOCs, and light work like that. As far as fonts go, I did look for that but there were only 4 .ttf files in the Font folder when I looked in Sigil.

Anything else I could look for? I should point out that I've got probably 6 or 8 examples of this- in books that I would not otherwise question the quality. I was wondering if it was something inherent in the ADE.
Old 12-27-2012, 05:50 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseFam5 View Post
Hmmm- is it something that would be apparent to the semi-trained eye? I've used Sigil to fix typos, create better TOCs, and light work like that. As far as fonts go, I did look for that but there were only 4 .ttf files in the Font folder when I looked in Sigil.

Anything else I could look for? I should point out that I've got probably 6 or 8 examples of this- in books that I would not otherwise question the quality. I was wondering if it was something inherent in the ADE.
4 fonts will add a bit, depending on the number of characters.

In Sigil: Tools Reports: (the HTML files choice) will give a breakdown of sizes.

In Code View. Lots of Green lines, Lots of tags per line ( Look at a simple, normal size book for what a normal chapter looks like )
Numerous Spans may be needed if the font switches between italic/bold/normal within a paragraph. IMHO all else is cruft/crappy coding
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:37 PM   #5
MooseFam5
Enthusiast

Thanks- that put me exactly on the right path!
Advert