Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-20-2012, 05:29 AM   #61
tsb1
Enthusiast
tsb1 can name that ebook in five wordstsb1 can name that ebook in five wordstsb1 can name that ebook in five wordstsb1 can name that ebook in five wordstsb1 can name that ebook in five wordstsb1 can name that ebook in five wordstsb1 can name that ebook in five wordstsb1 can name that ebook in five wordstsb1 can name that ebook in five wordstsb1 can name that ebook in five wordstsb1 can name that ebook in five words

Device: Kobo Touch
I find certain books suit certain moods and it can be comforting. For example, when I was doing exams there were books that I would re-read at that point and would read them each time I had exams. They must be calming! Currently I'm not doing much re-reading but am borrowing a lot from the library. There are some books that I have read several times. It does help that I'm a fast reader (2-3 hours for a typical paperback) so that may have something to do with it. I don't generally re-watch films though.
tsb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 05:58 AM   #62
Mike Hobart
Enthusiast
Mike Hobart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike Hobart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike Hobart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike Hobart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike Hobart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike Hobart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike Hobart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike Hobart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike Hobart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike Hobart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike Hobart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
A good book is one that can be read more than once... either comfort food or because there's more than can be got by a single reading...
I knew somebody once who said that by that sort of definition, E.E. Smith's Galactic Patrol was a classic because he'd read it three times.
Mike Hobart is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2012, 06:06 AM   #63
Mike Hobart
Enthusiast
Mike Hobart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike Hobart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike Hobart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike Hobart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike Hobart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike Hobart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike Hobart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike Hobart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike Hobart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike Hobart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike Hobart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I can't. I read silently at the same speed I read aloud.
I seem to remember the old Evelyn Wood speed-reading course suggested holding a pencil in your mouth to break yourself of the habit of involuntarily moving your lips when you read. You should be able to read silently at a much greater speed than you could read aloud -- maybe that might help.
Mike Hobart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:53 AM   #64
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I can read with greater speed, certainly, but I don't enjoy it. It's like watching a movie on fast forward. The faster you go the more details you miss.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 07:39 AM   #65
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
If you don't ever intend to revisit the book, why buy it?
Mostly because I want to read it right now... and I've yet to discover a way to borrow a book that the library doesn't have.

And I like owning things.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2012, 07:40 AM   #66
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hobart View Post
I knew somebody once who said that by that sort of definition, E.E. Smith's Galactic Patrol was a classic because he'd read it three times.
It is also a classic by other definitions.
If nothing else, because pretty much all modern movie/tv SF is loaded with the concepts and the tropes therein, whether it be STAR WARS or GREEN LANTERN, STAR TREK or MASS EFFECT.
When it comes to adventure SF and Space Opera, most of the elements of the genre come from Smith, Williamson, and Hamilton. That alone makes them must-reads for serious students of the genre.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 02:43 PM   #67
morriss003
Evangelist
morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I reread because I get pleasure from doing so. Anyone with kids and a cartoon DVD knows that humans can reread or rewatch indefinitely.
morriss003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 03:04 PM   #68
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Quote:
instead of feeling awkward or unusual about rereading the same books, re-watching films or revisiting the same places
Why would one even feel awkward or unusual in the first place? That labeling seems to reveal more about those doing the research than the research subjects themselves. What, I wonder, does it say about them, their lives, their degree of introspection, and their attention spans that they would even consider the behavior "awkward" or "unusual"?

Congratulations to those researchers for successfully scamming that grant money to fund their "study".
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 03:29 PM   #69
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
I could not count a book as one of MY VERY FAVORITE BOOKS, EVER, unless I had read it more than once.

But I only do one or two re-reads a year, since there are so many new books calling to me.

And I have had the experience of loving a book when I was younger, and finding I feel differently upon reading it again. That is a major bummer when it happens!

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:21 PM   #70
ebusinesstutor
Star Gawker
ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I re-read a huge amount of my books and ebooks. I am a speed reader, so I often find nuances the second time that I missed the first time.

Also, as I grow, I look at things differently.

I actually get excited when I am about to sit down to re-read a favourite series.
ebusinesstutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 06:11 PM   #71
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebusinesstutor View Post
I re-read a huge amount of my books and ebooks. I am a speed reader, so I often find nuances the second time that I missed the first time.

Also, as I grow, I look at things differently.

I actually get excited when I am about to sit down to re-read a favourite series.
To find new undiscovered ground when re-reading has nothing to do with the speed you read, I believe. I wish I myself could read faster so that I can read more. Sometimes while reading I find a paragraph or smaller that I read multiple times before going on, just because it was so good to read the first time. I do like to re-read books as well when I not only like the plot, but also the mood it creates while reading. And sometimes I am looking forward to find a certain chapter that I know brought me more joy than the rest of the book, which will make me want to re-read the whole book.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 05:18 AM   #72
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
To find new undiscovered ground when re-reading has nothing to do with the speed you read, I believe. I wish I myself could read faster so that I can read more. Sometimes while reading I find a paragraph or smaller that I read multiple times before going on, just because it was so good to read the first time. I do like to re-read books as well when I not only like the plot, but also the mood it creates while reading. And sometimes I am looking forward to find a certain chapter that I know brought me more joy than the rest of the book, which will make me want to re-read the whole book.
I have some friends that say they read fast but they seem to be skimming partly. And if you skim you of course miss things because you are skimming.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 05:45 AM   #73
Jovvi
Connoisseur
Jovvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jovvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jovvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jovvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jovvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jovvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jovvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jovvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jovvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jovvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jovvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen3, Cybook Opus, iPad and HTC Wildfire (Android)
I reread books alot, mostly because I am a speed reader and I chew through books fast. And yes, sometimes I skim but not always. Also often I reread parts of books (even if I could almost quote those parts from memory).

I think everybody should just let everybody else do what they like, if you don´t like to reread books fine, if you do that is fine too...

Clara
Jovvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 01:56 PM   #74
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
I have some friends that say they read fast but they seem to be skimming partly. And if you skim you of course miss things because you are skimming.
Touché. I should have rephrased it to say originally: No matter how much you slow down, you might still miss things the first time around. But then of course if you already once finished the book and know what is going to happen, then you will find hints in the beginning that could not have made sense without knowing for sure. If that is done on purpose, then that might also explain why certain books are more likely to be re-read than others. Lord of the Rings is beeing mentioned a lot in this thread as essential re-reading book - I think there is way to much information in it to be possibly remembered all at once, so that new aspects pop up each and every time you re-read it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovvi View Post
I reread books alot, mostly because I am a speed reader and I chew through books fast. And yes, sometimes I skim but not always. Also often I reread parts of books (even if I could almost quote those parts from memory).

I think everybody should just let everybody else do what they like, if you don´t like to reread books fine, if you do that is fine too...

Clara
I agree, it is a matter of personal choice. Me as slow reader like to reread (some, not all) as well. It does not have to be limited to fast readers, even though it appears from this thread that it happens to fast readers more often.

And maybe I changed my mind, maybe it is not always a blessing to be able to read faster if it comes at the price of (accidentally) skimming through at times. I always wondered why so many speed-reading tutorials emphasize so much on: "not only do you read faster, but also remember it better." There has to be a correlation between reading-speed and memory-retention. Of course, I never went through with any of those tuts since they seem to have a boring and steep learning curve.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 03:38 PM   #75
MichelleR
Just Me.
MichelleR can name that ebook in five wordsMichelleR can name that ebook in five wordsMichelleR can name that ebook in five wordsMichelleR can name that ebook in five wordsMichelleR can name that ebook in five wordsMichelleR can name that ebook in five wordsMichelleR can name that ebook in five wordsMichelleR can name that ebook in five wordsMichelleR can name that ebook in five wordsMichelleR can name that ebook in five wordsMichelleR can name that ebook in five words

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Mostly because I want to read it right now... and I've yet to discover a way to borrow a book that the library doesn't have.

And I like owning things.
Or, perhaps the person wants the book to be there whenever they choose to read it. I don't always read a book right after I buy it, but picked based on my mood at the moment.

Which means I have a lot of unread books, but authors also have a lot more sales from me.
MichelleR is offline   Reply With Quote