Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-09-2011, 10:34 PM   #1
jswinden
Nameless Being

If you bought from Borders verify your CC statement

If you bought from Borders and then returned it, you better check your credit card statement. I bought the KT from Borders, then returned it appx 10 days later. When I checked my credit card statement tonight I discovered that Borders didn't back off the original purchase when I returned the KT. Instead they charged me again for it. So now I've got a $280.78 charge ($140.39 x 2) and no KT! That's expensive piece of nothing!!!! I've got the receipts and the original is clearly marked with a handwritten "returned" and both receipts show the same serial number, so hopefully I'm going to be able to get the two charges backed off without too much headache, that is if the store is still open.

Last edited by jswinden; 08-09-2011 at 10:37 PM.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:57 PM   #2
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
If you bought from Borders and then returned it, you better check your credit card statement. I bought the KT from Borders, then returned it appx 10 days later. When I checked my credit card statement tonight I discovered that Borders didn't back off the original purchase when I returned the KT. Instead they charged me again for it. So now I've got a $280.78 charge ($140.39 x 2) and no KT! That's expensive piece of nothing!!!! I've got the receipts and the original is clearly marked with a handwritten "returned" and both receipts show the same serial number, so hopefully I'm going to be able to get the two charges backed off without too much headache, that is if the store is still open.

Holy fecal matter, you have a $280.78 erroneous charge on your card from a bankrupt company?? Geez, that sucks in a major way! If you can't get the store to reverse the charge, do you think you can dispute the charge with your CC company?

Last edited by TimW; 08-09-2011 at 10:57 PM. Reason: spelling error
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2011, 11:03 PM   #3
Pistos
Connoisseur
Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kobo Touch
CC companies are usually very good about siding with the customer and refunding money without too much trouble. Try to go that route if Borders gives you any kind of hassle.
Pistos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 11:11 PM   #4
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
This is most likely an isolated incident rather than some company wide problem. People make mistakes. Just contact the store or your credit card company and have the charges reversed.

Last edited by the.Mtn.Man; 08-09-2011 at 11:18 PM.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 01:13 AM   #5
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by the.Mtn.Man View Post
This is most likely an isolated incident rather than some company wide problem. People make mistakes. Just contact the store or your credit card company and have the charges reversed.
I agree - it is probably just a simple mistake made by someone who pressed the wrong button.

Anyone who doesn't routinely check their credit card statements every month is incredibly naive. I find errors like that several times a year - even from reputable companies that I deal with frequently.

Your complication in this case is whether or not the store is still trading. If you have problems there (because they have closed) then you should notify your credit card company and let them deal with it.
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2011, 10:46 AM   #6
jswinden
Nameless Being

I too suspect it was just a simple mistake, but regardless check your accounts to verify them before it is too late to make adjustments.

I called the Borders store where I made the purchase and subsequent return and told them my situation. She asked what product this was for and I told her the KT. She said that they were aware of their mistake and had been trying to get in touch with me but apparently had an incorrect phone number. So it looks like I will get this resolved this afternoon when I go to the store. I was never worried about their honesty, but I was concerned about dealing with a company in liquidation. But it appears everything will work out okay.

On another note, this store in Arlington, TX is selling the Kobo WiFis for $79 if anyone is interested. There phone answering recording said that anyway.
Old 08-10-2011, 04:54 PM   #7
jswinden
Nameless Being

I had to drive across town to the Border store in 107 degree temps, but I got my refund!

The clerk laughed and said, "Good thing you found the mistake before we closed for good." Yep.

They were really busy for mid afternoon on a Wednesday. Too bad that wasn't the case before the clearance sale.