Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-30-2010, 09:33 AM   #1
artemisblossom
Groupie
artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony prs505
How can I register an American Account?

I am picking up a new reader tomorrow. I live in Canada but I am wondering if it is possible to register the account as American. (I already have a Canadian account). Sony has just told me that if I were to get American gift cards I still couldn't use them to purchase books that were "US only" through a Canadian account. What would I need to register the account as American, just an American P.O.Box or something? ............or do they check the ips or something to verify where the order is coming from?
artemisblossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 10:38 AM   #2
Tamara
Evangelist
Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPhone
You will most likely need a US address and credit card billed to that address.
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2010, 10:55 AM   #3
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
You will most likely need a US address and credit card billed to that address.
US address: Yes.
US credit card: No. I use my Germany one, no problem. About 6 months ago you had to use gift cards. But with the introduction of Sony 600 and 900 (may be coincidence, but happened at the same time), they started accepting international credit cards. They didn't announce it though, I just found out by coincidence.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 11:16 AM   #4
Tamara
Evangelist
Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
US credit card: No. I use my Germany one, no problem. About 6 months ago you had to use gift cards. But with the introduction of Sony 600 and 900 (may be coincidence, but happened at the same time), they started accepting international credit cards. They didn't announce it though, I just found out by coincidence.
A lot of sites are closing loopholes like this though.

From the terms - http://ebookstore.sony.com/termsofservice.html

Quote:
You understand that if you are a Canadian resident, that you will only have access to Content available for distribution in Canada and that if you are a United States resident, that you will only have access to Content available for distribution in the United States. You understand and acknowledge that you may not sign up for, access, or attempt to access or use the Service from outside of the Territory applicable to you. By using or continuing to use the Service, you represent, covenant and agree that you comply with the applicable Territory requirements at all times while you maintain a Service Account.
Old 03-30-2010, 11:32 AM   #5
gastan
Addict
gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: LePan II, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
A lot of sites are closing loopholes like this though.
From the terms - http://ebookstore.sony.com/termsofservice.html
Ah, but rules are made to be broken !!
gastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2010, 12:06 PM   #6
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
More likely it was the release of the Kindle 2 International than anything Sony was doing (releasing a Kindle in multiple countries means Amazon has to take International credit cards).
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 08:45 PM   #7
kilohertz53
Zealot
kilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-350, Augen "The Book"
I don't know why Sony should care where you live, but I found an interesting site that generates random yet legitimate sounding identities and addresses. I guess you might use a fake ID to sign up for a free web service without giving up your real information:

http://www.fakenamegenerator.com/
kilohertz53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 09:01 PM   #8
Tamara
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilohertz53 View Post
I don't know why Sony should care where you live,
Most likely because books can have different copyrights in other countries and even be published by different publishing houses.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:29 PM   #9
artemisblossom
Groupie
artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony prs505
Thank you for all your replies, I am definately going to check into it. It is very frustrating that a person has to go to such extremes just to buy an ebook. The book I wanted so badly came out at midnight central time on March 30th and of course I couldn't purchase it because it was "US Only"........and yet less than 9 hours later there was a copy of this book beautifully formatted on the dark net. Not much of an incentive to stay honest and not become a pirate is there?
artemisblossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 01:02 AM   #10
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Check Kobobooks. I've found several that were US only on Sony but right there for me to buy on Kobo. I'm in Ontario too.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote