Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-17-2010, 05:38 AM   #1
Uke
Uke began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 600
How does font substitution work in PRS-600?

Hi, everybody,

Does someone know which are the fonts actually installed in PRS-600? That’s in order to use them (if possible) when I do document format for the Reader.

I also would be grateful if someone tells me the right font-family substitutions performed by PRS-600 (or are ‘serif’ and ‘sans serif’ the only choices available?).

I noted that, though the User’s Guide states that S size is equivalent to 100% of the original font size, it looks significantly smaller on the screen that it would appear in printed form. Is this also true for you?

Finally, does someone know the size correspondences for RTF format (the User’s Guide only gives those of LRF/BBeB, PDF and EPUB).

Thanks in advance!
Uke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 10:05 AM   #2
Uke

Somebody? Anybody?
Advert
Old 03-22-2010, 07:52 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I don't know about LRF and RTF, but for ePub all that is available are the generic font families serif, sans-serif, and monospace. The fonts are provided by Adobe, and have very little support for the extended unicode character sets. I think the Adobe serif font may also be used when "reflowing" PDFs.

You can embed a font in the ePub, and you can also over ride the default fonts by hacking the firmware. See Replace DEFAULT epub fonts! (PRS-505).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 04:24 AM   #4
Uke

Thanks! So far, it's rather as I supposed.

Therefore, I wonder what's true about different results obtained from the use of different fonts when building a book file. It seems that the only variables affecting the reading output are:
  • Serif / Non-Serif / Monospace (types of font).
  • Regular / Bold / Italic (text).
  • Font size and Type of book file (as this affects the way the text is zoomed).
That is, unless you use embedded fonts!

Does it sound plausible?