Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-08-2008, 01:16 PM   #1
NGross
NGross began at the beginning.

Device: not yet
Are you enjoying your eReading experience?

I treasure my Sony Reader. Working for a publisher, I am always loaded with books, so my Reader has become an invaluable companion. I find that I read more books at a time as I can easily flick between different titles - and my books don't get dog-eared any more!!

I'd be interested in your personal view - either here or in a mini survey we're conducting:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?...yIJ3dWNA_3d_3d

Thank you!
NGross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 01:40 PM   #2
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Completed the survey, NGross.

One thing missing from the survey was PDA for the choices of ebook readers a person uses.

I am reading more, and not buying physical books at all.

Thanks!
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2008, 01:41 PM   #3
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Love it.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 02:00 PM   #4
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Your survey is biased...

and therefore completely useless.

You failed to include the ability to check PDA, Jinke/BeBook and Netronix/Bookeen devices as specific breakouts, forcing all of those devices into the 'other' category - and then failed to provide the ability to list those devices. Who gives a flying fleep if you show a preponderance of Kindles over Sonys if there is a higher number for 'other' which cannot be differentiated between.

Talk about wearing blinders. Who designed this survey - Amazon, Sony?

Given that I own a Sony PRS-500 (only used by my mother), two Cybooks and an EB-100 and am looking for either an EZ-Reader or BeBook, AND that I routinely use (more than once per week) either an HP iPaq-110 or Dell Axim x51v, your survey could not accurately profile my ebook reading experience.

You'd be better served by throwing out all the answers, redesigning the survey and trying again.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 02:12 PM   #5
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
I would agree that's a bit of a bias but it doesn't necessarily follow that it's completely useless. I think folks like you are statistically quite rare and missing a few of your devices that don't have large market shares may not really interfere with them achieving the goals they had in creating the survey.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2008, 03:24 PM   #6
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
well i've taken the survey and left my contact information for future surveys. i think the fact that a publisher is making the effort to contact readers directly and hear what we have to say is very encouraging and i certainly want to take advantage of that to let them know what is important to me. i wish *all* publishers would listen to what we have to say. hopefully this survey will have a direct impact on their epublishing policies.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 04:31 PM   #7
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
I would agree that's a bit of a bias but it doesn't necessarily follow that it's completely useless. I think folks like you are statistically quite rare and missing a few of your devices that don't have large market shares may not really interfere with them achieving the goals they had in creating the survey.
Hunh??? So you think PDA owners who use them to *read* are 'statistically quite rare'??? Says who! Same goes for those who own NON-Kindle/Sony e-ink readers!

I hate to break it to those of you who *only* buy iPhones and Kindles, but there's a HUGE market for ebooks that are NOT DRM-limited to Kindle/iPhone format.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 04:45 PM   #8
MaggieScratch
Has got to the black veil
MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle Paperwhite 2
I put information about my reading device in the free typing comments field at the end and stated why I chose that device: because though DRM Mobipocket is a "closed" format, it was more "open" than others, being that Mobipocket reader has been ported to many other devices. I also encouraged the publisher to avoid DRM and consolidate into a single format.

Teachable moments are a good thing!
MaggieScratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 06:00 PM   #9
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
HRH Zelda said
Quote:
i think the fact that a publisher is making the effort to contact readers directly and hear what we have to say is very encouraging
That was my thinking. While the survey has some flaws, I am happy that they are requesting input on further developments in their e-publishing.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 06:09 PM   #10
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
With the exception of the lack of e-book reader devices listed, I enjoyed taking the survey!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote