Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-04-2013, 12:24 PM   #46
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
What I can't understand is why Overdrive and Audible, and even ebook readers with TTS have a sleep function built into the app, while the iPod music app forces you to leave the app, click through bazillion screens, set it, then go back to the app. What the heck, Apple?
Strange - the iPhone carries on playing even when it does go to sleep, and it's extremely battery-efficient: playing music or audio for an hour with the screen turned off barely moves the battery meter by 1%. I listen to audiobooks on my iPhone while I'm doing my daily walks.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:50 PM   #47
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Strange - the iPhone carries on playing even when it does go to sleep, and it's extremely battery-efficient: playing music or audio for an hour with the screen turned off barely moves the battery meter by 1%. I listen to audiobooks on my iPhone while I'm doing my daily walks.
Sleep as in "stop playing after xx time."
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2013, 02:31 PM   #48
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
As for Audiobooks I use my Sansa Clip. As for organizing them I just user a folder system and I tag them all properly using MP3Tag.
Just to expand for others:

For the Clip (or Clip+ or original Fuze), you get proper resume function (resume play where you left off listening) if you either:
- locate audiobook files under folder "\Audiobooks" (plural). (You should really locate the files in some containing subfolder.)
- tag each file as "Audiobook" (singular).

Last edited by jj2me; 02-04-2013 at 02:38 PM.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:25 PM   #49
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
Sleep as in "stop playing after xx time."
Perhaps I misunderstood you? I thought you were complaining that the iPod stopped playing when it entered sleep mode after a certain period of inactivity. Are you talking about something different?
Old 02-04-2013, 03:27 PM   #50
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Perhaps I misunderstood you? I thought you were complaining that the iPod stopped playing when it entered sleep mode after a certain period of inactivity. Are you talking about something different?
A sleep timer, as in the app will stop playing after a set time. Like a sleep timer on a television.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2013, 03:28 PM   #51
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
I think he's talking about a sleep timer (on my iPod, it's under Alarms) - I can set my iPod to automatically turn off after 15, 30, 60 minutes (or higher incrememtns that I forget what they are because I never use them)

I go to sleep wearing headphones, and drift off listening to my book - the auto turn off feature makes it easier for me to find the last place I remember the next time I start the book again.

This feature is vital for me; I would never have a player without it.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:51 PM   #52
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I'd love to have a sleep timer integrated into iTunes. I often fall asleep with my audiobook going (I find it great for insomnia), and it often takes me a while to find where I was. A "bookmark" would be a nice thing to have as well. I could whack that button every once in a while and it would be great to be able to just return to that.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:05 PM   #53
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Yes, that's what I meant: I want a sleep timer function built INTO the music app on my iPod. I usually fall asleep while listening, so if I set the sleep timer to 30 mins, the following day I can go back however many minutes I think I missed out of the 30.
I don't get why Apple still has not built this functionality into their app, nor Google into theirs. It's one of the most useful features, and one of the reasons why I love the Overdrive app.

Last edited by xendula; 02-04-2013 at 05:11 PM.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:48 PM   #54
amward
Wizard
amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Eco Eclipse, Sony PRS 350 (pink), Ipod Touch, Kindle Touch
It's taken a while but I've finally done it!! Beats me why when you have an icon saying add to Ipod and it won't so you have to drag and drop the book icon to another ipod icon but it worked. I'm now going to download another audio book and see if I can do it again.
the only reason I cared about having an audiobook in my music section is that it would lose my place if I listened to music, I hope this will be a fix.
Thanks oh wise ones, i'm not very techie but I can follow instructions is seems.
amward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:57 PM   #55
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by amward View Post
the only reason I cared about having an audiobook in my music section is that it would lose my place if I listened to music,
Make sure your audiobooks have "remember playback position" checked in iTunes. To do this, highlight the audiobooks in iTunes, right-click (or choose from the menu) "Get Info," and click on the "options" tab. You'll see the "remember playback position" option near the bottom of the dialog window.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:44 AM   #56
amward
Wizard
amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Does this mean I can leave them in music? Just when I was congratulating myself on how clever I am getting them into the audio book section? Pride goeth before a fall indeed.

Thank you Pidgeon and everyone else who make MR such a fount of all knowledge.
All my friends think I am so smart but I get it all from MR and am one step ahead of them. I'm sooo glad my son put me on to MR.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:33 AM   #57
derangedhermit
Addict
derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
My biggest complaint about audiobooks is that they are most often recorded using an mp3 or WMA (or some other) encoder intended for music. Most audio books contain almost exclusively speech. There is a large difference, from the theory to the implementation, of music and speech codecs.

Anyway, the results are that audio files tend to be either very large or of poor quality. Audio book recorders should be using a modern speech codec for the bulk of the recording, consuming something like and average of 12.65 (AMR-WB) kbps of bandwidth. Speech codecs can perform very well given this much bandwidth, while mp3 is miserable to listen to.

It doesn't help to have somethng like AMR-WB or AMR-WB+ available if the original recording is in mp3 format. The conversion process results in unacceptable artifacts in the audio. One needs access to the original WAV or similar oncompressed audio files and go straight to the final compressed audio to keep quality as high as possible at minimum bit rates (and therefore file sizes).
derangedhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:37 AM   #58
amward
Wizard

And by george I've done it! Audio book downloaded and transferred to audiobooks on the Ipod, with "remember playback position" checked. The worst thing was the download which for some reason takes forever from this particular library, they use a system called Bolinda, not nearly as good as Oneclick and Overdrive audio books is better still.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:00 AM   #59
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
A sleep timer, as in the app will stop playing after a set time. Like a sleep timer on a television.
Thanks - the light dawns . I don't have a use for such a thing myself.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:54 AM   #60
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
Make sure your audiobooks have "remember playback position" checked in iTunes. To do this, highlight the audiobooks in iTunes, right-click (or choose from the menu) "Get Info," and click on the "options" tab. You'll see the "remember playback position" option near the bottom of the dialog window.
And also uncheck the shuffle selection, or when you shuffle your music, it will play individual parts of the book.

Also, not sure what kind of view you have, but make sure you have the menu on the left hand side open: that's where you can jump between books and music.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote