Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-26-2012, 12:33 AM   #16
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewacide View Post
Googling, I can find lots of tools to automatically turn Comic Archives into PDFs, but nothing for PDF to CBR/CBZ.
Because it's a strange thing to do...
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 12:34 AM   #17
ghero
Connoisseur
ghero ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghero ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghero ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghero ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghero ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghero ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghero ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghero ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghero ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghero ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghero ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Currently owned: Nook HD+, pyrus mini. Previously owned: Sony prs-t2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jusmee View Post
Fine, but I suggest you DO read some other threads about this very subject so you might understand why your method doesn't solve the main problem with PDFs on the Kobo.
Can you prove that my method does not solve the main problem? Reflow solves main problem for format focused pdf?

To convert pdf to image and process it has many potential benfits, you can spilt one page into many parts (by using software) to further improve your reading it on kobo. Which is an extension effort of the method in the original thread.

BTW, I am not solving any main problem, in the title, I said to improve the reading experience. "to improve" that's all I need for writing this.
ghero is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2012, 12:37 AM   #18
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghero View Post

To convert pdf to image and process it has many potential benfits,

Not when the device you are using to read it is smaller than the target publishing size for the PDF it doesn't. This the case for the kobo and most PDFs.

I thought you were through discussing this?
Old 12-26-2012, 12:40 AM   #19
ghero
Connoisseur
ghero ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghero ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghero ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghero ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghero ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghero ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghero ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghero ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghero ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghero ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghero ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Not when the device you are using to read it is smaller than the target publishing size for the PDF it doesn't. This the case for the kobo and most PDFs.

I thought you were through discussing this?
I said, the potential benefits includes split that image(of page) into parts (for example, sth like sony does with colomn splits), which is sth make sense if you want to read a large size pdf on a small e ink screen.
Old 12-26-2012, 12:41 AM   #20
jusmee
Wizard

Quote:
I said, the potential benefits includes split that image(of page) into parts (for example, sth like sony does with colomn splits), which is sth make sense if you want to read a large size pdf on a small e ink screen.
It makes more sense to keep it as text and reflow it to fit the screen - much more.
Advert
Old 12-26-2012, 12:42 AM   #21
ghero
Connoisseur

Quote:
It makes more sense to keep it as text and reflow it to fit the screen - much more.
Hello? format? FORMAT, FORMAT (images, charts, tables, symbols...)!!!!

You are dealing with pdf, not epub!!!!!
Old 12-26-2012, 12:47 AM   #22
jusmee
Wizard

Quote:
Hello? format? FORMAT, FORMAT (images, charts, tables, symbols...)!!!!

You are dealing with pdf, not epub!!!!!
We said we wanted to improve the reading experience didn't we? Chopping it up into small images ruins the format too. Any attempt to read, for example, an A4 page, on a 6" screen, must compromise on formatting, or else it is just too hard to read. I just want to be able to read the text.
Old 12-26-2012, 12:56 AM   #23
ghero
Connoisseur

Quote:
We said we wanted to improve the reading experience didn't we? Chopping it up into small images ruins the format too. Any attempt to read, for example, an A4 page, on a 6" screen, must compromise on formatting, or else it is just too hard to read. I just want to be able to read the text.
LOL, there are ways to split a page so you can read. (like each splitted parts cover some of its neighbouring parts as well, to keep continuety of reading). I am not even going into any details of cases. I dont have to split a page in a stupid way that people can't read, I can do in anyway which improves the reading that I can manage.
Old 12-26-2012, 12:59 AM   #24
ghero
Connoisseur

Quote:
Also, chopping off the blank part on the sides of the page, to let the reader focus only on the actual content, this does not make sense to you?
Old 12-26-2012, 01:02 AM   #25
jusmee
Wizard

Quote:
LOL, there are ways to split a page so you can read. (like each splitted parts cover some of its neighbouring parts as well, to keep continuety of reading). I am not even going into any details of cases. I dont have to split a page in a stupid way that people can't read, I can do in anyway which improves the reading that I can manage.
OK, I am sure your motives are good, but I cannot agree that what you suggest works well, for me anyway, it really doesn't. Still, I gave you karma for being one of the people trying to solve the problem.
Old 12-26-2012, 01:06 AM   #26
ghero
Connoisseur

Quote:
OK, I am sure your motives are good, but I cannot agree that what you suggest works well, for me anyway, it really doesn't. Still, I gave you karma for being one of the people trying to solve the problem.
Thank you, finally we got a cease fire agreement.

Reflow text I think in many situations can be very helpful too. You can adjust formats on your own with kobo, and you can use dictionaries with reflowed version too.

Shake hands.
Old 12-26-2012, 01:08 AM   #27
jusmee
Wizard

yep....
Old 12-26-2012, 05:35 AM   #28
Elfuente
Enthusiast
Elfuente turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Elfuente turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Elfuente turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Elfuente turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Elfuente turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Elfuente turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Elfuente turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Elfuente turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Elfuente turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Elfuente turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Elfuente turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: kobo glo
never mind!

Last edited by Elfuente; 12-27-2012 at 12:16 PM.
Elfuente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:13 PM   #29
Beginner-reader
Enthusiast
Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
I just thought I'd mention k2pdfopt. It's a program that's very simple to use and that's free. I formatted a couple of PDFs with it and I can now read them on my Kindle. It doesn't work for all PDFs though, but that's probably because I'm not familiar with all of the settings yet.
It handles small images very well, but struggles with columns and different font sizes.
It's also very slow, so I probably won't have the time to play with the settings to find the right ones.
Beginner-reader is offline   Reply With Quote