Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-06-2008, 06:26 PM   #1
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Need E Reader that Surfs the Net

My wife cannot tolerate the photostopic affect associated with normal computer screens but can read the e-ink on my Sony 505 with no problem. So, I'd like to get her a reader she could surf the net with.

The Kindle comes close but I don't know of any devices that allow you to actually do this. Are there any or, more to the point, is e-ink technology going in that direction?

Thanks
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 08:06 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
If you are restricting yourself to an E-ink screen, then there is the Kindle and the Iliad. That's it. I would not recommend either one as a web browser based on my experience with the Kindle.

I think you might also want to look at the XO-1 from OLPC. It has a fairly unusual screen that might not bother her.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2008, 12:06 PM   #3
redbaron101
Zealot
redbaron101 began at the beginning.

Device: palm t3, iphone, bebook (hanlin v3 clone)
Hanlins do an internet browsing one, but its not out yet (one of the v9 models)
redbaron101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 05:15 PM   #4
Gabey8
Gabey8 began at the beginning.

Device: OLPC XO-1
I second the suggestion that an OLPC XO-1 laptop might be a viable option.

The only real way to obtain them, at present, is on ebay, as they are not commercially available, and the"Give One, Get One" donor program that allowed residents of North America to pay for two laptops, donate one to a developing country and receive the other, has ended.

But you might have the option of viewing an XO firsthand, before you bid on one on ebay. Here is a forum where XO Users Groups communicate.

http://olpcnews.com/forum/index.php?board=4.0

If there is a users group in your locality, you might be able to attend a meeting or arrange to get together with an XO owner who lives nearby, and see the device firsthand. If it's suitable, THEN you can look into getting one via ebay (or even among some XO users who have decided, after taking part in "Give One, Get One", that the device doesn't meet their needs).

I give the XO's ebook mode a big thumbs-up for its readability. And regarding its web surfing capabilities, I'm using it now to send this post. (Though I prefer the Opera browser, which Iinstalled myself, to the built-in web browser.)
Gabey8 is offline   Reply With Quote