Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

View Poll Results: What is your preferred ereader app?
Bluefire 4 5.48%
iBooks 12 16.44%
Marvin 33 45.21%
Kindle for iOS 14 19.18%
Other 10 13.70%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-07-2013, 07:13 AM   #1
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
What ereader app do you normally use?

And what is it about that app that makes it your choice
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 08:32 AM   #2
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Marvin: Functionality, rendering, faithfulness of the display, user configurable options/settings, ease of use, annotations & bookmarking, syncing, parental controls, library management, special functionality with Calibre....I'm sure I am forgetting a few....
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 10:20 AM   #3
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
iBooks, The big difference between iBooks and Kindle is the iBooks at least has rudimentary book management capabilities unlike Kindle. Once inside the book, both work fine. Marvin just felt sluggish when I tried using it. I've never used Bluefire, though I've used a few others.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:05 AM   #4
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
CloudReaders for graphic novels, Goodreader for PDFs.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:15 AM   #5
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Marvin and Kindle. Marvin is very customizable and has easy access to books from DropBox and the Kindle app syncs with my eReader if I'm switching back and forth.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 06:26 PM   #6
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Marvin. Flexibility and features that cannot be matched by any other app. Only on iPad so far. If we were going to also speak of iphone/iPod, I'd have to say "other" because I still use Stanza and a newly discovered Duokan... but waiting for Marvin for iPhone.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 04:32 AM   #7
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
iBooks is my app of choice. It does what I need and is not too bad at syncing between my devices, which is not easy since I mostly read on the train where I can't get 3G. Many apps have difficulties syncing when the device is not online all the time, but Apple apps manage this better than most.

In some cases when I buy a book and am unable or unwilling to convert it, I will read it on the seller's app, usually Kindle and recently (once) Kobo. The Kindle app is OK but I prefer to buy ePub books when I can. The Kobo app is the worst. Can you imagine a reading app without a search function? Well, Kobo can apparently. It has Facebook but no search.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:46 AM   #8
queenfrostine
queenfrostine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queenfrostine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queenfrostine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queenfrostine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queenfrostine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queenfrostine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queenfrostine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queenfrostine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queenfrostine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queenfrostine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queenfrostine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone, nook tablet and kindle paerwhite
Currently using Bluefire, but will likely switch once the iphone version of Marvin is approved by Apple for iPhone use. I do really like and use Kindle for books bought on Amazon but most of my books are in epub format so I don't use it much.
queenfrostine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 01:05 PM   #9
jswinden
Nameless Being

Currently using the Kindle for iOS app because I can run it on my iPad and my iPhone and sync between them. It is also somewhat important to me to be able to sync with the Kindle for Mac/PC apps. I don't like the Kindle apps due to their lackluster format options, but they are the only ones that supply all my needs. I like Marvin on the iPad, but it still isn't available on the iPhone. Even when the long awaited iPhone app is released, I wouldn't be able to sync wirelessly between computer and iPhone and iPad, at least not without some ridiculous and kluge process. So for now I will stick with Kindle apps.
Old 09-09-2013, 05:21 PM   #10
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Marvin, because it has collections and the most flexibility in margins and color schemes. Plus it looks nice.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:01 PM   #11
mycurlylocks
Addict
mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Marvin, for the flexibility, stability and easy Dropbox integration. My first choices are always the apps that the developer(s) ask the public for opinions. If they are willing to listen to the consumer, they deserve my support.
mycurlylocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:43 PM   #12
MeSue
Geek in the Forest
MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, iPhone 4s, Nexus 7
Marvin for the flexibility in layout options, library management, and calibre integration. I actually prefer to read with autoscroll, which Marvin does not have yet, but it is so much better in every other way that I have switched to it from the (paid app) Tomes. I used Tomes before Marvin SOLELY for the autoscroll reading, but it is pretty much abandonware now. When I was switching back to Tomes on the iPhone, it made me appreciate Marvin all the more.
MeSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:05 AM   #13
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Marvin is my go to app for reading. Love the customization features and the ease of using it with Calibre.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 01:00 AM   #14
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Marvin, the no. 1 reason being its advanced annotations functionality (particularly the effortless export options), although there is still a lot to improve in Marvin, too.
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:11 AM   #15
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Kindle for ios. I buy my books from Amazon so this is the most convenient app for me.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote