Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 10-30-2007, 05:30 PM   #1
ewayde
ewayde began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
How Robust is Searching?

With the latest iLiad, can I search for a term/string throughout the entire content of my storage? Can I for example, search for a string that looks into the pdf's and mobipocket formatted documents at one time?

Thanks
Wayde....so close to buying something...
ewayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 05:42 PM   #2
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Simple answer: No.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 09:20 PM   #3
ig88
Gadget Guy
ig88 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iLiad - iPhone - OSX
unbelievably ridiculous, no?
ig88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 03:17 AM   #4
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Well, fulltextsearch on the whole iLiad is not really what i would expect. But a missing search function inside a PDF is what i am missing most.

Although, a fulltext search would be nice, but it would probably be difficult with the processor and RAM available.
Old 10-31-2007, 04:39 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewayde View Post
With the latest iLiad, can I search for a term/string throughout the entire content of my storage? Can I for example, search for a string that looks into the pdf's and mobipocket formatted documents at one time?

Thanks
Wayde....so close to buying something...
The only "Search" facility available on the iLiad is the ability to search for files. There is currently no facility to search for text within a file.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 06:13 AM   #6
Boris
Enthusiast
Boris began at the beginning.

Device: Tablet PC, a broken Iliad V2
Looked for a regulation yesterday which was in one of 4 PDF files each over 1000 pages. Couldn't find it in the 40 minutes I had to look with the Iliad, got back to a PC took me about 30 seconds using a search. Grrrr

Basic search please

Boris
Boris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 08:50 AM   #7
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
full-text search OUTSIDE of PDF can be done with grep. But we really need the ability to search within PDFs. For a device primarily intended for fiction, like the Sony Reader, full-text search among all files is a frill, but for the kinds of uses an iLiad can support (e.g. manuals, journals), I think it's a mainstream feature, and its absence is bizarre.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 11:18 AM   #8
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
xpdf has text search. It also has a stand-alone command pdftotext, which is actually used by several Linux "filesystem search" packages to handle PDF files. For example, see PDFsearch and RECOLL. I'm not sure either could be made to work on the iLiad (RECOLL needs qt for example). Even so, searching PDFs should be possible on the iLiad, both when viewing a PDF document and as a system wide search (via pdftotext).

What is not possible is a system-wide search of compressed or encrypted e-book formats. I have not looked at what ConvertLIT produces on the iLiad, but "exploded" .LIT e-books may be the easiest to search because the content ends up as uncompressed .html files. Searching individual e-books is already possible with FBReader, and this should also be possible with MobiPocket's Reader (it is already available in the native, not Java-based, MobiPocket Readers on other devices).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 11:40 AM   #9
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
xpdf has text search.
Do you mean I can download this software, install it on iLiad and then reading pdf files and seatching text with it?
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 12:22 PM   #10
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
It is my understanding that ipdf is based on xpdf, so the capability already exists - it just needs to be "turned on" in ipdf. This might involve a significant amount of work, but at least there is code (in xpdf) implementing the underlying capability.

Speaking as someone with no experience porting code to the iLiad, I assume getting pdftotext working on the iLiad should be relatively easy. Searching PDF's from the command line will then be possible, and then the question is how to make a system-wide PDF text search capability available (via scripts?, run pdftotext in-line or off-line?, use an existing system-wide search system? ...).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 12:28 PM   #11
tribble
iLiad Maniac

ipdf was based on xpdf. it is now based on poppler.
Old 10-31-2007, 12:53 PM   #12
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
I have no clue how to write software appls. So I can use only finished products. I will not be able to do any tweaking.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 09:06 AM   #13
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.
yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Boox Max Lumi, iRex iLiad (RIP)
pdftotext

The command tools [pdftotext is included] which belong to xpdf are attached.
A sample shell script with 2 pdf files and their output is included in zip file.
Attached Files
File Type: zip xpdf_tools_with_pdftotext.iLiad.0.1.zip (2.55 MB, 329 views)
yokos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 03:36 PM   #14
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Searching PDF's from the command line will then be possible, and then the question is how to make a system-wide PDF text search capability available (via scripts?, run pdftotext in-line or off-line?, use an existing system-wide search system? ...).
Maybe convert to text with a background process, or an overnight batch?

I don't know much about writing graphical toolkit software, but a very simple interface using find/grep shouldn't be that hard to create. In fact, it seems likely that someone has done it in some open source tool.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 08:35 PM   #15
ig88
Gadget Guy
ig88 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iLiad - iPhone - OSX
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribble View Post
Well, fulltextsearch on the whole iLiad is not really what i would expect.
Why not?

If you are an IT guy, I would think you would put tons of manuals on the thing (which is what I have done).

If you were a religuious guy, you might have several version of the bible and bible texts.

A doctor coudl have several medical journals.

Scientists there documents.

A lawyer the case notes, or rules of law.

Just about any field woudl come to this conclusion.

I was sitting next to a pharmacist on the plane the other day, reading my iLiad. She started asking me about it, then she asked if she could put her PDF all-about-drugs documents on it. I said yes. Then she said, and then I could look up info on a xyz, and I said, well "no".

etc etc etc

Now, don't you think you would want to be able to search that content?

With all of the storage space you can put on these things, and I mean come-on, search is hardly a new technology...

Why wouldn't it be expected?

Last edited by ig88; 11-01-2007 at 08:39 PM.
ig88 is offline   Reply With Quote