Notices

Old 12-28-2009, 08:31 AM   #1
Bob T
Enthusiast
Bob T began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300
PRS-300 and Adobe Digital Editions

Newb questions I'm sure....

Bought a book from Books on Board and it was in Adobe Digital Edition...
It loads OK and comes up, but the type is way too small and the Sony won't enlarge the type....

Options? Or am I stuck? Will Calibre convert this book if I "liberate" it or will it always be a PDF?

Not to mention I'm a little unhappy with BoB....gave me 22% off code for signing up, good for one day, and when I checked out, it didn't work.
They accepted the code and it even showed the code up at the top of the checkout screen, but I got charged the full amount.
I've already emailed their support team, so I'll see what happens with that.

Thanks for any answers or even smart remarks...
Bob T.
Bob T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 08:38 AM   #2
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Unfortunately PDFs are set as far as size when they are created. This is one of the major disadvantages of the format for me. I avoid PDFs with a passion - at least as far as ebook readers go.

I don't know the answer as far as liberating and converting as I've never tried that. The one PDF fiction book I purchased (from BOB btw) by accident, I returned and got a credit for.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2009, 10:13 AM   #3
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
I think I would contact Books on Board about the price and the content. If it is unreadable I would return it.
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 10:20 AM   #4
Bob T
Enthusiast

Thank you both...
Had I done a little research before buying....(excited about my new reader), I would have understood the .pdf issue with the 300.

And I never realized one could return an ebook...

I have sent an email to BoB and await their reply.

Bob T.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:37 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob T View Post
Thank you both...
Had I done a little research before buying....(excited about my new reader), I would have understood the .pdf issue with the 300.

Bob T.
If it doesn't specifically say the format is ePub, it's not. When BOB says Adobe Digital Editions, they really mean PDF. Sorry you got sucked into BOB's stupid way of say it's a PDF. What you should do is ask for your money back since you really wanted ePub.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2009, 10:48 AM   #6
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thank you both...

Bob T.
I've only returned one myself (come sites B&N in particular) do not allow returning except if there is a significant issue. In my case the book said it was Adobe DRM but my mistake was assuming that meant EPUB and it wasn't, it was PDF. I emailed them and they were kind enough to credit my account.
Old 12-28-2009, 12:31 PM   #7
Bob T
Enthusiast

Well all is well...
Since I couldn't find this book in any other format, and it is something I really wanted, I worked it out.
I liberated the .pdf file, converted it to a .prc with Mobipocket Creator and let Calibre convert it for my Sony 300...
The formatting isn't perfect, but it is easily readable....

Now...if they just get back to me on my missing 22% discount...

Bob T.
Old 12-28-2009, 12:37 PM   #8
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7
The alternative to multiple conversions is to use soPDF. After liberating the PDF file, use soPDF to strip away the margins and make the text appear bigger.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 12:55 PM   #9
kennyc

Quote:
Well all is well...
Since I couldn't find this book in any other format, and it is something I really wanted, I worked it out.
I liberated the .pdf file, converted it to a .prc with Mobipocket Creator and let Calibre convert it for my Sony 300...

Bob T.
Good for you!
Old 12-28-2009, 01:12 PM   #10
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
Glad you got it sorted. I hope in the near future book will be sold DRM free, so there will be no need to liberate them. Isn't it said what publishers force their customers to go through.....
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 01:15 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Well all is well...

Bob T.
What book is it you bought?
Old 12-28-2009, 01:26 PM   #12
Bob T
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What book is it you bought?
OK...but promise you won't make me feel bad and tell me where I could have found it cheap and easy and in the right format...

The Hunter, by Richard Stark....A.K.A. Donald Westlake....
Point Blank with Lee Marvin and Payback with Mel Gibson are both based on this book.

It is the first in his "Parker" series...short, easy, yet very fun reads....
I read them all years ago and I want to read the series again.

Bob T.
Old 12-28-2009, 01:35 PM   #13
kennyc

Quote:
OK...but promise you won't make me feel bad and tell me where I could have found it cheap and easy and in the right format...

Point Blank with Lee Marvin and Payback with Mel Gibson are both based on this book.

Bob T.
You do know about these ebook search engines, right?

http://inkmesh.com/

http://www.ebookprice.info/

http://ebooks.addall.com/

and

http://www.archive.org/details/texts

I'm only seeing it at Amazon and BoB using those.

Last edited by kennyc; 12-28-2009 at 01:37 PM.
Old 12-28-2009, 01:43 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:

Bob T.
I have a look for The Hunter and I've only been able to find it as a PDF and from Amazon. Other then that, it's not in any other format that I can find. That's a tough find. But I did read a review of it while looking and it oes seem pretty good.
Old 12-28-2009, 01:49 PM   #15
Bob T
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
You do know about these ebook search engines, right?

http://inkmesh.com/

http://www.ebookprice.info/

http://ebooks.addall.com/

and

http://www.archive.org/details/texts

I'm only seeing it at Amazon and BoB using those.
I knew of two of them...I've now bookmarked them all...thanks a bunch...