Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-11-2007, 09:41 PM   #1
sianon
Addict
sianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony 500, Bebook, Kindle, Eco reader Drs and soon the Archos 9
Iliad now available from Dymocks $899 Aus

Dymocks have now added the Iliad to their online site, although their press release contains some misleading advice. http://www.dymocks.com.au/iliad/pressrelease.aspx
sianon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 09:58 PM   #2
mrsp
Connoisseur
mrsp began at the beginning.

Device: palm T2
what a let down

At $899 you get to pay an extra $AU39.09 for the privilege of buying it from Dymocks in Sydney. Of course you will pay even more if you order from Dymocks online because of the shipping.

Yep, that's right folks, its still cheaper to buy it from irexshop.com $AU859.91 on todays exchange rate including shipping) than from Dymocks...

If this is what months of extensive product research brings, I won't be holding my breath for cheaper devices readily available in stores any time soon.
mrsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2007, 10:09 PM   #3
sianon
Addict
sianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony 500, Bebook, Kindle, Eco reader Drs and soon the Archos 9
The inaccurate advice that the Iliad can download books from any internet site wont do the store or Irex any favors either. However now that it is here it will hopefully spark some interest from Borders who sell the Sony in the US.
sianon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 10:39 PM   #4
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsp View Post
At $899 you get to pay an extra $AU39.09 for the privilege of buying it from Dymocks in Sydney. Of course you will pay even more if you order from Dymocks online because of the shipping.
Yes, but you get Dymocks's excellent customer service as backup.

Quote:
Yep, that's right folks, its still cheaper to buy it from irexshop.com $AU859.91 on todays exchange rate including shipping) than from Dymocks...
The part of me that wraps itself in cynicism like a worn and musty blanket thought this might be the case, but the small little fairy-twinkle gleam I store in the back of my eye for hope and for lighting up at the sound of the Mr. Whippy van has been crushed. Every time Dymocks let loose a press release, a baby kitten dies..

Quote:
If this is what months of extensive product research brings, I won't be holding my breath for cheaper devices readily available in stores any time soon.
Why didn't I listen to all the wonderful folk here who tried to tell me? Jon, why didn't you try to convince me harder? HarryT, why didn't you berate me for my clear foolishness? Why did I hope? How does a gas barbecue work? Does mutton or lamb taste better when slowcooked? What is your favourite colour? Can these questions ever be answered?

I think I'll buy a Cybook...you know, to console myself.

Ooooh, I think I just heard the Mr Whippy van. ICE CREAM!!!!!! WOOHOO!

Cheers,
Marc (hating Dymocks even more...well, not really. Life's too short for hate)
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 12:46 AM   #5
RCR
Addict
RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 x Sony 505, iPad, Samsung 7 Tablet, ASUS Transformer, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsp View Post
Is it possible to buy it from Dymocks online? I couldn't find a way to do it?

If you bought within 30 days of going overseas, you could take it with you and get the GST back at the airport as you departed (about $81). Because you paid just under $900, you wouldn't have to declare it, and pay duty, when you brought it back to Australia.

Last edited by RCR; 12-12-2007 at 01:03 AM. Reason: I messed up QUOTE settings
RCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2007, 03:18 AM   #6
mrsp
Connoisseur
mrsp began at the beginning.

Device: palm T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCR View Post
Is it possible to buy it from Dymocks online? I couldn't find a way to do it?
I think they said that they would be available online from 13 Dec so probably just a bit early...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCR View Post
If you bought within 30 days of going overseas, you could take it with you and get the GST back at the airport as you departed (about $81). Because you paid just under $900, you wouldn't have to declare it, and pay duty, when you brought it back to Australia.
Or if you bought it from irexshop.com then you wouldn't pay any duty either because its under the threshold.
mrsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 04:15 AM   #7
thaoula
thaoula doesn't litterthaoula doesn't litterthaoula doesn't litter

Device: HTC Touch Dual
Hey Guys, I just bought the IRex from Dymocks George St for $899. The screen is great... just trying to open a pdf...

Last edited by thaoula; 12-12-2007 at 04:24 AM.
thaoula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 04:24 AM   #8
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaoula View Post
Hey Guys, I just bought the IRex from Dymocks George St for $899. The screen is awesome and looks almost like paper.
I....DON'T....CARE!

~Marc goes and sulks in the corner~

Cheers,
Marc (Petty? Moi? )

PS. I hope you love it and hope to hear much more about how you love it...but not too much
Old 12-12-2007, 04:34 AM   #9
dodgyville
dodgyville began at the beginning.

Device: E65
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaoula View Post
Hey Guys, I just bought the IRex from Dymocks George St for $899. The screen is great... just trying to open a pdf...
damn you to hell I'm green with envy.
dodgyville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 04:09 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
I think I'll buy a Cybook...you know, to console myself.
Seriously, Marc, I think that would be a good choice. As you can see from my profile, I have both an iLiad and a CyBook, and the CyBook is (IMHO) a much better fiction reader than the iLiad, although the iLiad wins out for viewing A4 PDFs.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 04:23 AM   #11
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Seriously, Marc, I think that would be a good choice. As you can see from my profile, I have both an iLiad and a CyBook, and the CyBook is (IMHO) a much better fiction reader than the iLiad, although the iLiad wins out for viewing A4 PDFs.
Your possession of both, coupled with your prior suggestion regarding the Cybook have always been seriously noted, Harry. I was really hoping Dymocks were going to go with the Cybook. I don't have a need for viewing A4 PDFs, and now, having looked at the Dictionary Lookup feature of the Cybook in more detail (coupled with the unexpectedly large number of eDictionaries available at Mobipocket. Just...wow!), I have come to the conclusion that I would have been far happier had I just listened to you in the first place.

I expect I will be getting one soon. I might leave it until after Christmas now, but it definitely looks the goods. Thanks, Harry. Forgive me for sticking my fingers in my ears and going "La-la-la-la-la-la-la-Dymocks-are-going-to-bring-the-Iliad-here-for-less-than-$800-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la". It was the fool in me called "blind hope" and "greed" that wanted to spend more than it needed.

Cheers,
Marc
Old 12-14-2007, 05:03 AM   #12
angels90
angels90 began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad
Dymocks is now officially sold out. Luckily I bought my yesterday

I'm told there are more on order.

The one i got had the 2.11 firmware, and the smaller travel hub. I guess that makes it a second edition one.

Last edited by angels90; 12-14-2007 at 05:08 AM. Reason: more info
angels90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 08:48 AM   #13
tiho
tiho began at the beginning.

Device: Irex Iliad
I have bought one online through Dymocks, but I noticed that there is no mention of a protective cover being Included in the Box on the Dymocks site, whereas the iRex shop mentions a protective sleeve is included with the Iliad.

Can dodgyville or anyone who has bought one through Dymocks please confirm what kind of protection is included?
tiho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 06:14 PM   #14
thaoula
thaoula doesn't litterthaoula doesn't litterthaoula doesn't litter

Device: HTC Touch Dual
Hi Tiho,

The only protection that shipped with the product was the ILiad Shoulder Bag. The shoulder bag looks really cheap but it is compact and provides protection because it has a hard piece of plastic embedded into one of the sides.

Kind Regards,
Tarek
thaoula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 10:31 PM   #15
tiho
tiho began at the beginning.

Device: Irex Iliad
Thanks Tarek,

It arrived today! Delivery was a bit quicker than I thought it would be, given that I ordered it on Friday.
The shoulder bag seems pretty good to me. I imagine it'd be easiest to use the Iliad without a cover, then stow it away in its bag when transporting it. I'm sure I'll find out more when I put it through its paces tonight.

Tiho
tiho is offline   Reply With Quote