Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-16-2007, 02:28 PM   #31
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW View Post
Most of this has already been known.

I guess, if the list is all correct, the biggest "news" is that the device on the leaked photo will resemble the final product.
I'm flummoxed. Everyone's trying to make their gadgets sleeker and sexier. Fashion is actually important now in electronics design, and Amazon releases something that looks like a prototype from 1986? Wrong kind of retro.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 02:30 PM   #32
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
All righty, I'm officially wandering in the direction of the "I think it'll probably be announced Monday" camp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
... looks like a prototype from 1986?
I still say '78 -- a la Original Battlestar Galactica.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2007, 02:34 PM   #33
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
We've suspected EVDO, but CNet suspects Sprint. It apparently has Wi-Fi, too.
Isn't Sprint just Kindle's EVDO provider? I am skeptical about Wi-Fi. It would be a plus for places where Sprint isn't available, but it was not in the original FCC filing so far as I know.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 02:37 PM   #34
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Isn't Sprint just Kindle's EVDO provider? I am skeptical about Wi-Fi. It would be a plus for places where Sprint isn't available, but it was not in the original FCC filing so far as I know.
Probably, yes.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 02:37 PM   #35
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
All righty, I'm officially wandering in the direction of the "I think it'll probably be announced Monday" camp.

I still say '78 -- a la Original Battlestar Galactica.
I've had a Radio Shack, binder attachable calculator ruler, circa 76.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2007, 02:50 PM   #36
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
I am skeptical about Wi-Fi. It would be a plus for places where Sprint isn't available, but it was not in the original FCC filing so far as I know.
It's not -- not that a text search of the manual can turn up anyway. The interested can find the original manual here. But, they canceled that filing when it leaked, and presumably re-filed at some point, so who knows what was in the new filing?
Old 11-16-2007, 03:09 PM   #37
NatCh
Gizmologist

I was just looking back over the old manual and realized that it lists an alternate, "older" wireless format "1XRTT" that I don't recall ever hearing about (wikipedia has bupkiss on it).

I also note that the thing was supposed to take Audible.com (.AA) files natively. It also lists AZW (Amazon Whispernet, maybe?), PRC, MOBI, MP3 and TXT -- no RTF, interestingly, and I don't know, and rather doubt, if that PRC is anything other than MOBI.

Then there's still the issue of how much has the thing changed in it's year of seclusion?
Old 11-16-2007, 04:02 PM   #38
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
I was just looking back over the old manual and realized that it lists an alternate, "older" wireless format "1XRTT" that I don't recall ever hearing about (wikipedia has bupkiss on it).

I also note that the thing was supposed to take Audible.com (.AA) files natively. It also lists AZW (Amazon Whispernet, maybe?), PRC, MOBI, MP3 and TXT -- no RTF, interestingly, and I don't know, and rather doubt, if that PRC is anything other than MOBI.

Then there's still the issue of how much has the thing changed in it's year of seclusion?
Time enough for a face lift?
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 04:21 PM   #39
NatCh
Gizmologist

'Tis devoutly to be wished.
Old 11-16-2007, 05:55 PM   #40
BobVA
Addict
BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Clara, Sony PRS950, T1, T2, T3
Quote:
I was just looking back over the old manual and realized that it lists an alternate, "older" wireless format "1XRTT" that I don't recall ever hearing about (wikipedia has bupkiss on it)....
It's a slower data signal that, like EVDO, is part of the CDMA2000 standard. It was around for several years before EVDO arrived. Still used for slower devices and as a fall back outside EVDO areas.

Cheers,
Bob
BobVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 06:20 PM   #41
tsgreer
Lovin' the e-book life...
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle, BeBook (with OpenInkpot)
I'm still thinking that the original pic that we have isn't so horrible if it's color corrected. Granted, I guessed on the color correction, but when you take out that ugly tan color, is the design sooo terrible?

I think the ugly 1990's PC color from the photograph is what made look so nasty. But that it just my opinion!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KindleClrCrctd.jpg
Views:	520
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	7284  
tsgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 06:23 PM   #42
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
It looks like old calculator, we used 20 years ago.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 06:26 PM   #43
tsgreer
Lovin' the e-book life...
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle, BeBook (with OpenInkpot)
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra_lestat View Post
It looks like old calculator, we used 20 years ago.
Ok, that's a good point, but I think the pic also fails to show a good proportion. If it's pretty thin, I say it won't be so bad. If you look at the connectors on the bottom, it seems to be pretty slim.

I am going out on a limb and say that once we see better pics of it, it won't be near as fugly--even if they keep the same design.

Last edited by tsgreer; 11-16-2007 at 07:04 PM.
tsgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 06:39 PM   #44
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
I admire, but do not share your optimism. I can only imagine what it's going to look like with the attached reading light, too.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 08:41 PM   #45
MMascaro
Zealot
MMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheese

Device: HP mini 1035/Sony Reader/IPad
Actualy it looks like a slate computer from a poster for 2001: A Space Oddessy I remember
MMascaro is offline   Reply With Quote