Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-10-2007, 01:13 PM   #61
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
Any one care to make this picture frontpage?
I think it's worthy news!
Done. Thanks for the prodding.

Quote:
There seems to be a protruding ridge on top the length of the right side. I wonder what that is. Means it won't fit in my boxes anymore!
It looks like this enclosure is more rectangular than the original. Looks like you'll have to re-design a bit. On the bright side, a regular rectangle should be easier to deal with than the curved sides it has now ....
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 01:23 PM   #62
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
Quote:
Multiple eBook Titles Available
The Reader Digital Book allows you to search, browse, discover, and buy thousands of new releases, classics and popular eBook titles from the CONNECT™ eBooks Store and other participating websites3. You can even go to other sites that have DRM Free eBooks in file formats supported by the Reader5. This translates into an unbelievable amount of content suitable for the Reader.
1. It looks like the only real difference is in the "eBook Library" software. It's interesting to note, though, that they're openly distinguishing between DRM and DRM-free content. That seems like a major step for the folks in marketing: talking about it instead of talking around it.

2. They openly encouraging the use of "other participating Web sites." That means one of two things. Either they're finally licensing other sites to carry DRM content, or they're trying to make the unit more appealing by expanding the size of the "available content".

3. If these are indeed the specs, then I think Sony just officially missed the boat. Not supporting MobiPocket, especially after Amazon's announcement, is both foolish and suicidal. They have an existing market following and user base. It's cheaper than the Kindle. If it could take advantage of ConnSTORE books, plus non-DRM books, plus Amazon's upcoming content, it would be practically invincible.
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2007, 01:25 PM   #63
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
this is a bad design for reading in bed on your side (something i do a lot), buttons on the left are much easier to use. Also I actually like using the reader with my left hand, keeps my right hand free. For once I wish SONY had stuck to their guns, their engineers sometimes do know better.

I hope they haven't messed with the USB protocol/database structure/file locations.

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 09-10-2007 at 01:31 PM.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 01:35 PM   #64
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Do I see a zoom button, the one at extreme left?
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 01:39 PM   #65
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Do I see a zoom button, the one at extreme left?
That would be the size button.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2007, 01:40 PM   #66
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
There don't seem to be any new controls - just the same ones, rearranged. Hopefully that'll mean that all the current "hacks" will still work, anyway .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 01:40 PM   #67
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Also I actually like using the reader with my left hand, keeps my right hand free.
I'm not sure if I want to know what you're reading.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 01:44 PM   #68
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The other hand is to hold your cup of tea with . Nothing like reading with a nice cup of tea!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 01:47 PM   #69
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Here is the larger image of the new Sony Reader...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	big_prs505sc.jpg
Views:	435
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	5431  
Old 09-10-2007, 01:50 PM   #70
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
It still looks better in blue.
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 01:53 PM   #71
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

ETA October 2007

In dark blue...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	big_prs505lc.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	5432  
Old 09-10-2007, 01:56 PM   #72
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B. View Post
I'm not sure if I want to know what you're reading.
I tend to live with my reader in one hand
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 01:56 PM   #73
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The other hand is to hold your cup of tea with . Nothing like reading with a nice cup of tea!
Adam's version gives a whole other meaning to 'Not my cup of tea'
Old 09-10-2007, 01:57 PM   #74
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Ooo. Nice one, jasonkchapman -- I like the blue better myself.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 01:57 PM   #75
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User

So do I!