Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-28-2011, 03:34 PM   #1
kae
kae began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo wireless
Any tips on hacking Kobo formatting????

Hi,

I have a Kobo wireless and a linux box. I just find it so totally absurd the way the Kobo formats anything with such ridiculous margins that I am willing to hack the code in my Kobo ereader. I have an image of the firmware off my kobo burned onto another 2 gig micro sd and it loads up in Ubuntu. Anyone know where the actual Kobo epub formatting files are on the different partitions? I really hate to have to resort to this but the Kobo developer folks are totally brain dead. They have sold us devices with a screen size of 3.58" by 5" yet no matter how I reformat an epub in Calibre it will only fill 4 inches of the 5 inch vertical screen. That's a 20% loss of real estate! I have an HTC Advantage 7510 smartphone with a 5" screen and more lines in an epub will show on my PHONE than my Kobo!

1.9 firmware does nothing to address this. Anyway, pointers to a file I can hack, anyone???
kae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 05:58 PM   #2
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
If you want to do what the posts below say you would have to strip the DRM.

Last edited by The Terminator; 03-29-2011 at 08:32 PM.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2011, 06:40 PM   #3
46jimbo
Zealot
46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: Kobo Touch + Kobo Aura
Many people complain about super wide margins on purchased ebooks. The problem comes from the publisher. As these books are DRM protected, nothing on the Kobo would allow you to 'play' with it's settings. (Just another reason to strip the DRM.)
46jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 09:00 PM   #4
Jafo
Enthusiast
Jafo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Jafo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Jafo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Jafo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Jafo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Jafo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Jafo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Jafo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Jafo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Jafo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Jafo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo (original)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kae View Post
Hi,

I have a Kobo wireless and a linux box. I just find it so totally absurd the way the Kobo formats anything with such ridiculous margins that I am willing to hack the code in my Kobo ereader. I have an image of the firmware off my kobo burned onto another 2 gig micro sd and it loads up in Ubuntu. Anyone know where the actual Kobo epub formatting files are on the different partitions? I really hate to have to resort to this but the Kobo developer folks are totally brain dead. They have sold us devices with a screen size of 3.58" by 5" yet no matter how I reformat an epub in Calibre it will only fill 4 inches of the 5 inch vertical screen. That's a 20% loss of real estate! I have an HTC Advantage 7510 smartphone with a 5" screen and more lines in an epub will show on my PHONE than my Kobo!

1.9 firmware does nothing to address this. Anyway, pointers to a file I can hack, anyone???
You need to read this thread
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=127128
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 02:07 AM   #5
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TERMINATOR View Post
OK did you pirate the E-book? From what I've heard pirated E-pubs are usually bad quality. It's not the readers fault it's the E-pubs, they will show up the same on any reader. Try a different book.

Badly formatted books are often purchased from leading ebook sellers as well. So for those who do not want to or cannot remove DRM, the issue is a most annoying one.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2011, 10:26 AM   #6
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo
Some css files are so complex that common human mind
cannot get over it. In the situation like this I assume reite-
ration through Calibre the best option. After removal of
native css, of course.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote