Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-22-2013, 04:30 PM   #121
mjwilson
Connoisseur
mjwilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjwilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjwilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjwilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjwilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjwilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjwilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjwilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjwilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjwilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjwilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Must be my lucky week.
mjwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:51 PM   #122
kaswistry
kaswistry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaswistry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaswistry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaswistry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaswistry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaswistry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaswistry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaswistry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaswistry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaswistry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaswistry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Hello,

I'm not sure if you're still supporting the use of the website but anyway, I tried using it earlier and I get this error message:

Warning: file_get_contents(en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Girl_Who_Could_Fly) [function.file-get-contents]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/shinew/public_html/xray/simple_html_dom.php on line 70

Fatal error: Call to a member function find() on a non-object in /home/shinew/public_html/xray/parse_page.php on line 66

Thank you
kaswistry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:57 AM   #123
mjwilson
Connoisseur
mjwilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjwilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjwilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjwilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjwilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjwilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjwilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjwilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjwilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjwilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjwilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Make sure you put "http://" at the start of each URL.
Old 02-02-2013, 04:04 AM   #124
papierflieger
papierflieger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.papierflieger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.papierflieger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.papierflieger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.papierflieger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.papierflieger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.papierflieger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.papierflieger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.papierflieger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.papierflieger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.papierflieger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjwilson View Post
Here's something which might help with the "Games of Thrones" issues. It's a bit crude but it's just intended as a quick fix for now. Probably best to avoid Wikipedia data and just use Shelfari for now.
I tried it on A Game of Thrones – works great! Thank you!
papierflieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:10 AM   #125
kaswistry
kaswistry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaswistry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaswistry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaswistry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaswistry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaswistry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaswistry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaswistry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaswistry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaswistry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaswistry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Make sure you put "http://" at the start of each URL.
I'm not sure. I put "http" and Firefox just reloaded the page with "www" instead of "http://www" so I went ahead and just proceeded by clicking the "Get X-ray button". I got the same error message:

Quote:
Warning: file_get_contents(en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Girl_Who_Could_Fly) [function.file-get-contents]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/shinew/public_html/xray/simple_html_dom.php on line 70

Fatal error: Call to a member function find() on a non-object in /home/shinew/public_html/xray/parse_page.php on line 66

I tried adding "http" to the results page and got this instead:

Quote:
Warning: file_get_contents() [function.file-get-contents]: Filename cannot be empty in /home/shinew/public_html/xray/simple_html_dom.php on line 70

Fatal error: Call to a member function find() on a non-object in /home/shinew/public_html/xray/parse_page.php on line 75

Last edited by kaswistry; 02-02-2013 at 04:17 AM.
Old 02-02-2013, 04:16 AM   #126
kaswistry

Okay. I'm having trouble getting the plugin to work.

So here's what I did:

I downloaded the plugin and installed it as part of Calibre. So now "X-ray" appears as one of the items on the menu.

I click create X-ray and enter details from Shelfari and Wikipedia and it creates the file. I proceeded to copy the file to the SDR folder of the ebook.

This is where it gets tricky.

I tried this on TWO different books: "The Girl Who Can Fly" and "The Hypnotist" .

"The Girl Who Can Fly" says X-ray is unavailable for the book while "The Hypnotist" says 'This book does not contain X-ray concepts".

I'm pretty sure it has ASIN and GUID as I used MobiMetaEditor to check if the books do.

If it helps, I am running a jailbroken Kindle Touch at 5.3.2 with Unified Application Launcher and Custom Screensaver installed. I'm not sure if those files can affect the X-ray but I'd like to mention it anyway.

What do you think did I do wrong?

Last edited by kaswistry; 02-02-2013 at 04:21 AM.
Old 02-02-2013, 04:17 AM   #127
mjwilson
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaswistry View Post
I'm not sure. I put http and Firefox just reloaded the page with "www"
Sorry, I wasn't clear. I didn't mean in the URL bar in the browser - I meant in the input fields in the form. Include an "http://" before the Shelfari/Wikipedia URLs which you enter.

Quote:
so I went ahead and just proceeded to get to the results, got the same error message as above. THEN I added "http" again and got this instead:

Warning: file_get_contents() [function.file-get-contents]: Filename cannot be empty in /home/shinew/public_html/xray/simple_html_dom.php on line 70

Fatal error: Call to a member function find() on a non-object in /home/shinew/public_html/xray/parse_page.php on line 75
Did you put in a Shelfari URL? I get that error if I leave the Shelfari field blank.
Old 02-02-2013, 04:18 AM   #128
kaswistry

Quote:
Sorry, I wasn't clear. I didn't mean in the URL bar in the browser - I meant in the input fields in the form. Include an "http://" before the Shelfari/Wikipedia URLs which you enter.

Did you put in a Shelfari URL? I get that error if I leave the Shelfari field blank.
Wait, It works! LOL. OK, let me try and see the results of this.

Update:

I used the online tool to generate X-RAY file for "The Girl Who Can Fly" and copied it back to my device. Clicked on X-ray and still got the same error message. So both the online tool and calibre is giving me the same, "X-ray is not available" error on the same book.

Last edited by kaswistry; 02-02-2013 at 04:22 AM.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:33 AM   #129
kaswistry

My bad. I just saw that according to the book's sales page on Amazon, the book "The Girl Who Could Fly" did not have X-Ray Enabled (People should really take note of this).

However, "The Hypnotist" has it enabled. Now, I did the process again. Went to the website, keyed in the URLS with "HTTP" this time from Shelfari and Wikipedia, loaded up MobiMetaEditor to get the Unique ID (GUID), the Database Name (which appears as "name") and the ASIN. Keyed the info into the website and uploaded the X-ray file to the folder on the device.

I opened the book adn clicked X-ray and look at what I got (Please see screenshot). Why doesn't it work for me? I will try other books but it's so sad that I couldn't get it to work.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2013_02_02T23_25_38+0759.png
Views:	470
Size:	7.5 KB
ID:	100553  
Old 02-08-2013, 05:00 PM   #130
Ephemerality
Addict
Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW1
Quote:
My bad. I just saw that according to the book's sales page on Amazon, the book "The Girl Who Could Fly" did not have X-Ray Enabled (People should really take note of this).
I opened the book adn clicked X-ray and look at what I got (Please see screenshot). Why doesn't it work for me? I will try other books but it's so sad that I couldn't get it to work.
By the looks of it, it's not downloading the Shelfari data, or something else is going wrong with it. If you post the XRay file as well as the info you used to build it, I can take a look at it.

Also, a book does not have to have X-Ray enabled on the Amazon page for it to work with this. That just tells you whether or not Amazon provides an X-Ray file with the book.
Ephemerality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 03:41 AM   #131
kaswistry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephemerality View Post
By the looks of it, it's not downloading the Shelfari data, or something else is going wrong with it. If you post the XRay file as well as the info you used to build it, I can take a look at it.

Also, a book does not have to have X-Ray enabled on the Amazon page for it to work with this. That just tells you whether or not Amazon provides an X-Ray file with the book.
I see. Well, I made these using the X-ray plugin on Calibre. Just entered the Shelfari address and the Wikipedia address and "created the X-ray file". These are X-ray files for "Steve Jobs" and "The Hypnotist".

Kindly tell me if you would like me to try the Web version of the generator.

Thank you for your help.
Attached Files
File Type: zip xray files.zip (6.5 KB, 398 views)
Old 02-09-2013, 01:23 PM   #132
Ephemerality
Addict
Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamel Ezzine View Post
The effort and attention on this project are huge by the dev and highly appreciated by those who read the thread up til here!
The Calibre plugin seems to be more stable, but what about the "loc issue"
(x-ray not implementing loc positions and pages), any improvement on that point?
Theoretically, having an amazon x-ray file AND a generated x-ray file of the same ebook would help to figure out the "differences" and find out where the "loc implementation" is, then duplicating the code!
I apologize for my generalist terms, since I'm not a connoisseur.
So, anyone to help with the loc position issue?
That being the last step before having a Perfect amazon-like x-ray!
I've actually been working quite a bit over the past week on creating an x-ray builder that generates all of the loc and chapter information by unpacking the mobi file and running through the raw book content (the page-by-page info is calculated on the Kindle itself).
The format is fairly simple, each loc points to a point in the book and defines the excerpts you see on that character's page. The locations are positions within the raw html file (I've been unpacking the mobis with mobi_unpack using the -r flag to get the raw markup). The default loc that the X-Ray builder here gives is [100,100,100,6], so say that is [A,B,C,D].
A is the start position of the excerpt.
B is is the length of the excerpt.
C is the position within the excerpt that starts being bolded.
D is the length of the bolded section.

Chapters are basically the same. For example, the last part of the .asc file:
"chapters":[{"name":"Chapter 1","start":1020,"end":6423},{"name":"Chapter 2","start":6423,"end":11294}],"srl":1020,"erl":11294}
Same thing, just the starting and ending positions in the file. The only trick here is that srl and erl have to be there as well to have the chapters show up; srl being the start of chapters and erl being the end of course. With those defined, plus the locs for each character, you also get to see the "progress bar" that the Amazon X-Rays have.

Quote:
I see. Well, I made these using the X-ray plugin on Calibre. Just entered the Shelfari address and the Wikipedia address and "created the X-ray file". These are X-ray files for "Steve Jobs" and "The Hypnotist".
I took a look at the files, the Hypnotist one is definitely just the Wikipedia info, I took a look at Shelfari and there's actually no info for it (http://www.shelfari.com/books/326144...notist-A-Novel), so you'd have to modify the entry first. The Steve Jobs one seemed fine to me, but I plugged the asin and guid from a different book into it and tried it out, it gave the same error as you are getting. Now I can't get my own X-Ray files to work on that same book which was working before! So I have no idea what's going on there.
I would definitely try the site and a totally different book instead just to see if it makes a difference, I haven't even used the Calibre plugin so I don't know how well it works...

Edit: I did notice a code at the bottom of the error page which might help a bit as well.
SX = X-Ray file not valid
VS/VN/VO = Version number is anything but "1"
WA = Issue with ASIN
WG = Issue with GUID

Edit #2: I hadn't thought about it, but since the Calibre version already has access to the book it could definitely be modified to add the locs. My version is a separate program done in C# so it's not nearly as convenient...

Last edited by Ephemerality; 02-09-2013 at 04:49 PM.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:51 AM   #133
desaster
desaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
I've actually been working quite a bit over the past week on creating an x-ray builder that generates all of the loc and chapter information by unpacking the mobi file and running through the raw book content..

Edit #2: I hadn't thought about it, but since the Calibre version already has access to the book it could definitely be modified to add the locs. My version is a separate program done in C# so it's not nearly as convenient...
I actually thought about doing this as well, but had some problems with the mobi library I was using, as it seemed to skip some data and thus the locations were inaccurate.

It then also occurred to me that this might be much more sensible to do in Calibre, however once I started working on it, I got discouraged by the effort...

I'm looking forward to seeing your implementation in action!
desaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:13 PM   #134
kaswistry

Quote:
I've actually been working quite a bit over the past week on creating an x-ray builder that generates all of the loc and chapter information by unpacking the mobi file and running through the raw book content (the page-by-page info is calculated on the Kindle itself).
The format is fairly simple, each loc points to a point in the book and defines the excerpts you see on that character's page. The locations are positions within the raw html file (I've been unpacking the mobis with mobi_unpack using the -r flag to get the raw markup). The default loc that the X-Ray builder here gives is [100,100,100,6], so say that is [A,B,C,D].
A is the start position of the excerpt.
B is is the length of the excerpt.
C is the position within the excerpt that starts being bolded.
D is the length of the bolded section.

Chapters are basically the same. For example, the last part of the .asc file:
"chapters":[{"name":"Chapter 1","start":1020,"end":6423},{"name":"Chapter 2","start":6423,"end":11294}],"srl":1020,"erl":11294}
Same thing, just the starting and ending positions in the file. The only trick here is that srl and erl have to be there as well to have the chapters show up; srl being the start of chapters and erl being the end of course. With those defined, plus the locs for each character, you also get to see the "progress bar" that the Amazon X-Rays have.

I took a look at the files, the Hypnotist one is definitely just the Wikipedia info, I took a look at Shelfari and there's actually no info for it (http://www.shelfari.com/books/326144...notist-A-Novel), so you'd have to modify the entry first. The Steve Jobs one seemed fine to me, but I plugged the asin and guid from a different book into it and tried it out, it gave the same error as you are getting. Now I can't get my own X-Ray files to work on that same book which was working before! So I have no idea what's going on there.
I would definitely try the site and a totally different book instead just to see if it makes a difference, I haven't even used the Calibre plugin so I don't know how well it works...

Edit: I did notice a code at the bottom of the error page which might help a bit as well.
SX = X-Ray file not valid
VS/VN/VO = Version number is anything but "1"
WA = Issue with ASIN
WG = Issue with GUID

Does that mean that it either works or not and that this goes for all books? Aww.
Old 02-10-2013, 03:36 PM   #135
Ephemerality
Addict

Quote:
Does that mean that it either works or not and that this goes for all books? Aww.
There shouldn't be anything preventing you from getting some books to work. The Hypnotist file works, for example, but you need to modify the Shelfari page to include some characters before you can create the file for it. Not sure what's going on with the Steve Jobs one, what error code did it give you?

Tags
application, k5 tools, kindle, kindle tools, x-ray