Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-24-2011, 02:04 PM   #31
Kenneth_irl
Addict
Kenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Kindle 3 + Paperwhite 7th gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
The OP has described the very reason I do NOT use hacks or Calibre. I use Kindle WiFi PLAIN VANILLA.

Everything else WILL have it's own unique problems.
I take it that you typed this from a hidden bunker underground, packed in vat and cushions ?

Okay, so that's your opinion, but you seem a little dramatic, don't you ?
Kenneth_irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 02:14 PM   #32
Kenneth_irl
Addict
Kenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Maybe, but I've never heard of them doing it (and it would rely on wireless being turned on). Besides, Amazon had every opportunity to do something like that while the OP was on the phone with them, and they opted to send a new Kindle instead.
There is actually a physical reset button on the Kindle's print, but I haven't heared of anyone actually trying it out yet. It do seem logical that this would trigger a factory reset, but who knows.

If Amazon hadn't wanted to replace his Kindle then that could have been worth a try, I think.

Also, I agree that Cloudyvisions didn't start this thread to be judged upon, but rather asking for help. Amazon can judge for themselves, I'm sure.

Imagine if medics would judge people before helping them? (yes, a exstreme example, but still)

Last edited by Kenneth_irl; 02-24-2011 at 02:19 PM.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:31 PM   #33
Histerius
Zealot
Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kindle 3 - Galaxy Tab 10.1
We stole the subject. Now, a physical reset may help and if it's not working after that then there's no help.
Histerius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 02:36 PM   #34
Kenneth_irl
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
What this problem might demonstrate is that if the font/fonts are improper or improperly installed, the PASSWORD box might not show up (like the glitched screen in other font problems.) So maybe when playing with font changes, it is best to disable the PASSWORD for the kindle. Remove it and then play around? That way no password would be needed to get to the usb drive via computer.
I agree. Maybe you could ask the thread starter of the font hack to include a small warning about this ?
Old 02-24-2011, 02:41 PM   #35
Kenneth_irl
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Histerius View Post
We stole the subject. Now, a physical reset may help and if it's not working after that then there's no help.
Indeed, this would kill the warrenty. Would only be valid for a last case scenariao, of course.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:11 PM   #36
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
Does the k3 have a reset button somewhere INSIDE? There is none that is visible or accessible from the outside???

I guess I should read the FONT hack stuff. I thought I recalled that some folks "lost their screen" (blank or really messed up) if they did not properly update or create a correct font package. Of course, they could fix it by entering the folders on the kindle via usb. But the password block prevents that in this case.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 07:31 PM   #37
Kenneth_irl
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
Does the k3 have a reset button somewhere INSIDE? There is none that is visible or accessible from the outside???
There's a video on youtube with a tech guy examining the insides of the Kindle. There is indeed a reset button inside. He didn't try to push it, though.

It's actually a bit weird there isn't any way that you can force a fatory reset using the on/off button just in case if something strange happened to a Kindle.

Last edited by Kenneth_irl; 02-24-2011 at 07:34 PM.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:53 PM   #38
cloudyvisions
Enthusiast
cloudyvisions is on a distinguished road

Device: Amazon Kindle
Well, I did take apart the back and pressed the reset button that is right above the power switch....no success there either. That was basically like holding the power switch for that 30-45 seconds.

I think I've pretty much tried everything at this point. Right now the only thing I could do is the factor reset via pressing the "Home" key before the Welcome/loading screen pops up, which I didn't find out until late last night after I had spoke with customer support and a replacement kindle on the way. It should get here tomorrow, and by now I am over it...incredibly annoyed at myself, yes, but it's not the end of the world y'know? At least I have my non-Amazon-bought books sorted in Calibre.

I just wish there was still the Recovery mode that earlier versions had where you could get your data off via USB and some of the other options. I don't know why they would get rid of something like that.

I think that not having the password option turned on when experimenting with font hacks is an excellent idea, one I will remember in the future.

Thank you guys again!
cloudyvisions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 08:00 PM   #39
bZkindle
Fanatic
bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: k2, k3G, kindle DXG, Sony T-1, iPad, iPhone, stone tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudyvisions View Post
Well, I did take apart the back and pressed the reset button that is right above the power switch....no success there either. That was basically like holding the power switch for that 30-45 seconds.
don't tell amazon that!

also to the person that fears using calibre...LOL!
bZkindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 08:05 PM   #40
Kenneth_irl
Addict

Quote:

I think I've pretty much tried everything at this point. Right now the only thing I could do is the factor reset via pressing the "Home" key before the Welcome/loading screen pops up, which I didn't find out until late last night after I had spoke with customer support and a replacement kindle on the way. It should get here tomorrow, and by now I am over it...incredibly annoyed at myself, yes, but it's not the end of the world y'know? At least I have my non-Amazon-bought books sorted in Calibre.

I just wish there was still the Recovery mode that earlier versions had where you could get your data off via USB and some of the other options. I don't know why they would get rid of something like that.

I think that not having the password option turned on when experimenting with font hacks is an excellent idea, one I will remember in the future.

Thank you guys again!
You should probably also remember to take a backup of the storage partition before installing hacks, etc. I forget this too when I'm feeling lazy. Hehe.

You'll get your collections back when you sync your new Kindle but without the non Amazons books, though.

It could have been a lot worse, mate. Just be glad Amazon's CS is so friendly, and you'll get a new one.

Cheers

Edit: Like bZkindle said don't tell Amazon that you opened it up. But it would be too late for them anyway since they already did send you a new one. Don't sweat it.

Last edited by Kenneth_irl; 02-24-2011 at 08:09 PM.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:10 PM   #41
Kenneth_irl
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bZkindle View Post
Also to the person that fears using calibre...LOL!
So Calibre doesn't course cancer like I thought ?

Last edited by Kenneth_irl; 02-24-2011 at 08:18 PM.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:41 PM   #42
cloudyvisions
Enthusiast
cloudyvisions is on a distinguished road

Device: Amazon Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_irl View Post
You should probably also remember to take a backup of the storage partition before installing hacks, etc. I forget this too when I'm feeling lazy. Hehe.

You'll get your collections back when you sync your new Kindle but without the non Amazons books, though.

It could have been a lot worse, mate. Just be glad Amazon's CS is so friendly, and you'll get a new one.

Cheers

Edit: Like bZkindle said don't tell Amazon that you opened it up. But it would be too late for them anyway since they already did send you a new one. Don't sweat it.
Yeah, I'll put the back back on and I don't see how they would even know that I took it off at one point.
cloudyvisions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 08:47 PM   #43
bZkindle
Fanatic
bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: k2, k3G, kindle DXG, Sony T-1, iPad, iPhone, stone tablet
Quote:
Yeah, I'll put the back back on and I don't see how they would even know that I took it off at one point.
unless there's big hack marks all over it, they won't.
I'm about to send my k3 back to amazon with the screensaver hack stuck on it; I can't take it off due to the firmware update. oops.
they could probably deny my warranty over that but I really doubt they will... we'll see.
bZkindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:27 PM   #44
Kenneth_irl
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bZkindle View Post
unless there's big hack marks all over it, they won't.
I'm about to send my k3 back to amazon with the screensaver hack stuck on it; I can't take it off due to the firmware update. oops.
they could probably deny my warranty over that but I really doubt they will... we'll see.
Can't you install jailbreak 3.1 and remove the hack, mate?
Old 02-24-2011, 09:50 PM   #45
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
Quote:
. Right now the only thing I could do is the factor reset via pressing the "Home" key before the Welcome/loading screen pops up, which I didn't find out until late last night after I had spoke with customer support and a replacement kindle on the way.
I did not know about that method. I guess you lose your data but can MAYBE recover a locked up unit.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote