Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 06-05-2010, 02:07 PM   #1
ThomasMcKean
Disabilities Advocate
ThomasMcKean doesn't litterThomasMcKean doesn't litter

Device: Kindle PW3
Kandle Book Light and Pocket Pro: First Impressions

Well it certainly took long enough to get here, but today the Kandle arrived!

The reason I ordered the Kandle is because I didn't want the unruly gooseneck of a book light. I started reading the reviews of it AFTER I ordered it and the reviews did not bode well for this product. With the high price, I wondered if maybe it was a mistake to buy it. Fearing the worst, I opened the package.

I opened the package and the Kandle was settled into a nice little velvet holder inside the box. Nice touch. The two spare batteries were right there where yew could see them, so yew didn't have to go looking under the velvet to find them.

But the real test was the light itself. I decided the best way to test it was to go into a very dark room and turn it on. So I did.

What they say is true in that the top is brighter than the bottom. But also consider that the Kindle is a 6 inch device, whereas the Pocket Pro is only 5 inches.

So while there is more light on top, there is also (at first glance, anyway) adequate light on the bottom, being as the Pocket Pro is 5 inches instead of 6.

When the light is clipped to the top of the reader, the power button is still easily accessible. Putting the light on the right side made the rocker switch hard to get to. Putting it on the left side did not seem to effect the page turn buttons, but it looked to me like the light was better dispersed when the Kandle was on top.

The switch is backwards. It is off in the standard on position and on in the standard off position. Minor quibble, but still just a bit annoying.

I don't see the problem the others do with the clip. To me it seems quite sturdy and durable. The only real problem I am having with it at the moment are the reports that the wires break from opening and closing the light. However, all reports also say the company will replace those. I will definitely be keeping my receipt.

It is true that to replace the batteries, yew do need the tiniest of screwdrivers. This may be a problem for a lot of people, but since I do a lot of computer work, I have just the tools needed. Also, there have been complaints in the reviews about the high cost of batteries. I bought some in bulk from amazon when I ordered the light, and ended up paying 20 cents a piece for them. So to replace the batteries will always cost me 40 cents. Not bad.

Keep in mind I have had all of about 10 minutes with this thing so far. I will put it to the real test tonight when I read and get back to yew.

The Kandle is here, for those interested...

http://www.amazon.com/Kandle-Amazon-.../dp/B0031116K8

I have the black version. I notice it does add a bit of weight to the reader, but really that much...

Last edited by ThomasMcKean; 06-05-2010 at 02:26 PM.
ThomasMcKean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 09:23 AM   #2
S-F
S-F began at the beginning.

Device: Astak EZreader
I'm considering getting one of these. After further experimentation do you think it properly illuminates the entire screen? Also, how much ambient light does it cast into the surrounding environment?
S-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert