Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 02-13-2010, 09:23 PM   #1
cabingirl
cabingirl began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Bought a nook today in-store

Hi all,

I finally made up my mind today to buy a nook as my first e-reader. The store locator on bn.com said that most of the local stores (of which there are three within 5 miles of my house) had them in stock so I decided to go pick one up rather than order online.

The first store I went to didn't have any. They offered to order one, but I opted to go to another store instead. I got there and, not really knowing where they had them, went to Customer Service. The rep seemed to think they maybe had a few in stock and told me to go to the cash registers. The guy at the register was like "yea, we have some" when I asked. I had to then say "I would like to buy one, please" to prompt him to actually go retrieve one from the back.

In my opinion, they are not making it easy to actually buy one in person. Everyone I spoke to at both stores seemed to be a little surprised by my interest. I guess I kind of expected that when I asked at Customer Service, that the rep would actually make the transaction happen, and not just point me in the direction of the register.

I didn't receive any unpacking instructions, just the shrink-wrapped package itself. Luckily, I managed to unpack it without breaking anything.

I expect that my e-reader experience will only get better from here
cabingirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 09:25 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, cabingirl.

Keep us posted on your thoughts about the nook.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2010, 09:47 PM   #3
sahmad88
Zealot
sahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enough

Device: nook color
I bought one yesterday in a store. The store locator only showed one store in my area, and luckily it seemed to be the closest one to me. This particular store was one that had the large in-store display with cases as well.

I went to customer service and they were very helpful and eager to sell me one. I am sorry that your experience wasn't as positive, but I found the store in my area to be most helpful.
sahmad88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 09:57 PM   #4
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Congratulations. Hmmm, I thought they were making a big deal about having displays in the stores. I've not seen them at my local store either. It would be nice to be able to actually see it work before you bought it.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 10:16 PM   #5
cabingirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Congratulations. Hmmm, I thought they were making a big deal about having displays in the stores. I've not seen them at my local store either. It would be nice to be able to actually see it work before you bought it.
Actually, both stores had the demo model on the counter at Customer Service. Thus, I thought that's where I needed to go to buy one
Advert
Old 02-13-2010, 10:19 PM   #6
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabingirl View Post
Actually, both stores had the demo model on the counter at Customer Service. Thus, I thought that's where I needed to go to buy one
Question. They had the model there. Did they demo it for you and walk you thru start up, perhaps?
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 10:25 PM   #7
cabingirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Question. They had the model there. Did they demo it for you and walk you thru start up, perhaps?
At the first store, I played with it for 5 minutes or so on my own with no interaction from the staff. At the second store (where I purchased) they asked if I wanted to try out the demo model, but I said no.
Old 02-13-2010, 10:32 PM   #8
gr8day2b
Lighting the Beacon!
gr8day2b began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, nook
I just got mine about an hour ago! I'm bummed (as always when I get a gadget) that I have to charge 3 1/2 hours first...question, the "welcome" sheet says to fully charge it before use, then immediately says You can use it while it's charging. Any thoughts on whether it's best to not touch it while it charging for the 1st time? I'm dying to turn it on and play around with it, but don't want to start off on the wrong foot with the battery!
gr8day2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 11:25 PM   #9
gr8day2b
Lighting the Beacon!

Cabingirl,
Like you, I just picked up my nook in store today. I had an experience somewhat like yours.
I called first, and spoke to someone that told me they just got ten nooks in. I went to the store an hour later, and first there was no one around to help me at cust svc desk. When someone did show up, they said I could play with the demo all I wanted, but would have to order the nook online (this was her 1st day back to work after a long break, so she hadn't heard of the recent arrivals).
She found me a nook, took it to the front, and I bought it. While I didn't expect any unpacking instructions, I am used to looking at the packaging before I buy electronics, and had to ask if I could see it first. Surprisingly, there is really no info on the outside of the nook packaging.
But, I don't think any of this detracts from the quality of the item.

Good luck with yours!
Old 02-14-2010, 01:10 PM   #10
dynalmadman
dynalmadman began at the beginning.

Device: Nook & Nook eReader for Blackberry
Same story here. Went to the first store, they had none. Website said they did. Went to 2nd store (web site said this one had no stock) and they had them. I went to Cust Service 1st and the lady said they were behind the registers. I went to the registers and they had about 20 on the bookshelf behind. I asked about covers/etc, and was told they had none. I bought the nook and took it home. No instructions on how to open the box. Took a while, but I got it. Plugged it in, and when it said I could use it while charging, that is exactly what I did. No problems so far, I am loving it.

Michael
dynalmadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 01:12 PM   #11
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Congrats everyone on your new Nooks!
Old 02-14-2010, 01:41 PM   #12
JerseyBiker
Addict
JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Classic, Nook Glowlight, Galaxy Tab S9, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabingirl View Post
Hi all,

I finally made up my mind today to buy a nook as my first e-reader. The store locator on bn.com said that most of the local stores (of which there are three within 5 miles of my house) had them in stock so I decided to go pick one up rather than order online.
When I ordered my Nook Online about 10 days ago I received an email from B&N that said my Nook would shipped out on the 12th and I should receive it about 2 days after that. So I didn't expect to receive my Nook for about 2 weeks. The day after I ordered I received a 2nd email informing me that my Nook was shipped that day. I received it the following day, 2 days after ordering. What a surprise that was. The nearest B&N to me is about 45 miles. That's 90 miles round-trip. I only get about 19 MPG so it wasn't worth the time and expense to pick one up at B&N. Good luck with your Nook. I love mine.

~eddie
JerseyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 02:36 PM   #13
Paul58
A Reader with no Reader..
Paul58 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony Pocket Edition, B&N Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8day2b View Post
I just got mine about an hour ago! I'm bummed (as always when I get a gadget) that I have to charge 3 1/2 hours first...question, the "welcome" sheet says to fully charge it before use, then immediately says You can use it while it's charging. Any thoughts on whether it's best to not touch it while it charging for the 1st time? I'm dying to turn it on and play around with it, but don't want to start off on the wrong foot with the battery!
You don't have to wait, if it's plugged into the computer USB port, you have to eject the nook in order to use it (from within My Computer, right click on the nook icon and choose eject), but if it's plugged into the wall outlet, you're good to go!
Paul58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 03:43 PM   #14
gr8day2b
Lighting the Beacon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul58 View Post
You don't have to wait, if it's plugged into the computer USB port, you have to eject the nook in order to use it (from within My Computer, right click on the nook icon and choose eject), but if it's plugged into the wall outlet, you're good to go!
Thanks Paul! I did wait for a first full charge (only took 2 hours and the yellow light went out), so I was up and running! I like my nook so far, but I have to get used to the touch screen (I'm spoiled by all the hardware buttons on my Sony 505!). I am surprised by how tricky it is to swipe-turn a page on the bottom display, but I'm getting the hang of it.

Now I just need to figure out how to "register" the nook on my sony e-book store, so I can read the books I purchased there on the nook...
Old 02-14-2010, 03:47 PM   #15
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8day2b View Post
Thanks Paul! I did wait for a first full charge (only took 2 hours and the yellow light went out), so I was up and running! I like my nook so far, but I have to get used to the touch screen (I'm spoiled by all the hardware buttons on my Sony 505!). I am surprised by how tricky it is to swipe-turn a page on the bottom display, but I'm getting the hang of it.

Now I just need to figure out how to "register" the nook on my sony e-book store, so I can read the books I purchased there on the nook...

NOTE: I have not done this, but...
My understanding is that you should be able to bring up adobe DE with the nook connected and register it.