Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-22-2009, 09:29 PM   #1
onerubberducky
onerubberducky began at the beginning.

Device: Sony reader 505
Is it possible to buy Kindle books and export them to Sony reader?

Is it possible to buy Kindle books (I do not own one), download it to the computer and then put them in a Sony 505?
onerubberducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 09:38 PM   #2
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Not directly, no. To begin with, the Kindle and the Sony readers use completely different e-book formats... one cannot read the formats of the other.

In some cases, it might be possible to convert the Kindle documents (essentially an altered Mobipocket format) into the Sony format (LRF). But you might have to crack any existing DRM on the Kindle document first, then you'd have to input the text into software that would convert it into LRF... possibly through an interim step, like pasting the text into a word processing program first, then into your LFR creation software...

...or, to put it another way, it's probably not worth the trouble.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2009, 09:48 PM   #3
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
.....and its a darn shame
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 11:49 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by onerubberducky View Post
Is it possible to buy Kindle books (I do not own one), download it to the computer and then put them in a Sony 505?
It is "possible" to deDRM a Kindle book and convert it to a format the Sony can read. Assuming it is not a Topaz (azw1) book.

However, if you do NOT have a Kindle registered to your Amazon account you can NOT buy Kindle books. So it is kind of a moot point.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 10:38 AM   #5
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
However, if you do NOT have a Kindle registered to your Amazon account you can NOT buy Kindle books. So it is kind of a moot point.
Isn't there some kind of club or membership or something? Pay up front and get access to Kindle books without a Kindle? My memory is uncooperative today.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2009, 10:40 AM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
Isn't there some kind of club or membership or something? Pay up front and get access to Kindle books without a Kindle? My memory is uncooperative today.
Yes of course, you could join the Kindle book club. It cost $359.

BOb

(BTW: Kindle book club was my tongue-in-cheek way to say buy a Kindle)
Old 01-23-2009, 10:50 AM   #7
Valloric
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Yes of course, you could join the Kindle book club. It cost $359.

BOb

(BTW: Kindle book club was my tongue-in-cheek way to say buy a Kindle)
Ahhhhh... Now I feel like an idiot.
Old 01-23-2009, 11:46 AM   #8
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Believe me, you're not the only one who just wishes they could buy Amazon e-books to read them on any reader they chose. In fact, I'd bet a lot of new Sony Reader customers (and those who got them as gifts) thought they'd be able to buy and read Amazon e-books. (And possibly vice-versa, since Sony books can't be read directly on the Kindle, either.)

Many of us who've contemplated the possibility--and viewed the reality--thought it was Bezos who was the idiot, purposely locking out potential revenue from people who already had other readers, PDAs, blackberries, laptops, etc, and weren't interested in buying one more device to be used on a single service only.

Fortunately, the arrival of the Kindle store has not signaled the death-knell of the other e-book stores. Maybe if the other stores persist, Bezos will see the value of other readers and other formats, and act accordingly to promote cross-functionality and more sales.

(Oh, look... a cute little monkey just flew out of my butt!...)
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 09:10 PM   #9
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
Not directly, no. To begin with, the Kindle and the Sony readers use completely different e-book formats... one cannot read the formats of the other.

In some cases, it might be possible to convert the Kindle documents (essentially an altered Mobipocket format) into the Sony format (LRF). But you might have to crack any existing DRM on the Kindle document first, then you'd have to input the text into software that would convert it into LRF... possibly through an interim step, like pasting the text into a word processing program first, then into your LFR creation software...

...or, to put it another way, it's probably not worth the trouble.
Well, I do it all the time. Given that it takes only a minute or two to do, I would have to say that if the idea of converting crosses your mind, then it's most likely worth your time to do. I would say that a majority of people who are willing to buy both a Sony and a Kindle and can actually figure out how to buy and download books from the Sony Connect store, can certainly figure out how to convert ebooks they buy from Amazon for use on the Sony reader. The biggest hassle is simply getting the instructions together.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 11:46 AM   #10
daesdaemar
Addict
daesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 3, iPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Well, I do it all the time. Given that it takes only a minute or two to do, I would have to say that if the idea of converting crosses your mind, then it's most likely worth your time to do. I would say that a majority of people who are willing to buy both a Sony and a Kindle and can actually figure out how to buy and download books from the Sony Connect store, can certainly figure out how to convert ebooks they buy from Amazon for use on the Sony reader. The biggest hassle is simply getting the instructions together.
If people buy the book, then it's perfectly legitimate (IMHO) to do any conversions to enhance their reading. So, I see nothing wrong with your sharing the instructions for those circumstances.

I'm sure a moderator will chastise me if my theory on this is incorrect.
daesdaemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 04:58 PM   #11
Valloric

Quote:
Originally Posted by daesdaemar View Post
I'm sure a moderator will chastise me if my theory on this is incorrect.
I doubt any moderator here will chastise you for saying that removing DRM for personal use should be allowed.

It's a different thing entirely if you start giving step-by-step instructions on how to do so. That's a no-no.
Old 01-24-2009, 05:02 PM   #12
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
I doubt any moderator here will chastise you for saying that removing DRM for personal use should be allowed.

It's a different thing entirely if you start giving step-by-step instructions on how to do so. That's a no-no.
Yes, but there are several threads where we pretty much do that. However, the tools are not to be distributed on or linked to here. We have help alot of people use them.

BOb
Old 01-24-2009, 09:03 PM   #13
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
I think there are threads that give links to sites with instructions. While obviously, I see nothing wrong with converting an e-book that I purchased to a more pleasing format, I can see why the owners of this forum do not wish any legal complications.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 12:46 PM   #14
mrgiedrnkr
Enthusiast
mrgiedrnkr began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Can someone point me to the thread with the directions?

I am now fluent in python and scripting (haha) - well, at least enough to convert mobi and ereader to lrf. I would like to be able to convert Kindle to LRF as I am able to buy kindle books. I know that igor's script will convert mobi to kindle but does it also convert kindle to mobi?
Stacy
mrgiedrnkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 01:46 PM   #15
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgiedrnkr View Post
I would like to be able to convert Kindle to LRF as I am able to buy kindle books. I know that igor's script will convert mobi to kindle but does it also convert kindle to mobi?
Stacy
Kindle is mobi (99% of the time. .azw1 is Topaz). So calibre will convert Kindle to LRF as long as you have deDRMed it.

If you have a mobi book it will work fine on your Kindle with no conversion as long as it has no DRM on it.

BOb