Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-25-2008, 12:28 PM   #1
cvet
cvet began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Uninstall on Linux?

What is the command for uninstall calibre on Ubuntu 8.10? I tryed sudo calibre-uninstall but i got sudo: calibre-uninstall: command not found.
cvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 01:09 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
there is no uninstall
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 02:41 PM   #3
cvet
cvet began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Ha ha ha seriously
cvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 02:58 AM   #4
mani001
mani001 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony reader
kovidgoyal,
could you please give a rough procedure to delete calibre manually? just delete the /opt/calibre directory and the manual pages?
Not that I'm planning on getting rid of calibre I love the program I just want to know because I would like to get calibre installed by portage (I'm a gentoo user).
Regards
mani001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 11:42 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There is already a (very outdated) calibre ebuild in portage. You basically have to uninstall the command line programs in /usr/bin, the manpages, the desktop integration files (though i don't think they actually get installed on gentoo), one udev and one hal script.
Old 01-24-2009, 12:44 AM   #6
Fionn
Fionn began at the beginning.

Device: Asus Eee
Hi kovidgoyal,

Congrats on the app... it's a super idea, and there's really nothing else like it. I was considering trying to use Tellico to do something like this, but this is the business.

Thing is, though, I need to take it off my comp.

I've an Asus Eee, running Ubuntu, and having failed to install it using the Ubuntu specific Python easy-install method, I used the binary method.

The app is great, and I've since then installed it on my other comp. But the Eee has a very small screen, which I've found rather frustrating to use with the GUI for calibre. It doesn't quite fit on the screen, and all of the fields are minimum size, while plenty of screen real estate is used up... I guess the layout doesn't really suit the tiny eee screen.

So I'm not going to use it on the eee. Thing is, I've only a 4gb SDD on the Eee, so, as you can imagine, space is an issue.

And I'm not really partial to a full reinstall, because I've spent a long time getting it the way I want it.

The instructions you gave to mani001 above are slightly too unspecific for me to perform a removal of the calibre files from my system, in order to free up space. I wonder could you hazard a suggestion as to how many manpages there are, and where they might be, and the desktop integration, and where hal script and udevs go?

I'm sorry if the question seems a little ignorant. I've stuck to apt/synaptic and .deb installations previously.

Once again, thank you for the wonderful app.

best,
Fionn.
Fionn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 01:02 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

If you're worried about diskspace just delete /opt/calibre the rest of the files will take less than a MB
Old 01-24-2009, 06:42 AM   #8
Fionn
Fionn began at the beginning.

Device: Asus Eee
Thanks a million!

That's precisely what I needed. I'd only 120mb left after my ubuntu install and various other necessary apps.
Fionn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 10:22 AM   #9
MarioE
MarioE began at the beginning.

Device: None
Is this still the case? I installed using the binary install method.

This is a great program, but this approach is somewhat obnoxious to Linux users. Just leaving files on the system is a bit rich if you ask me. It may be only a few megabytes, but users should be able to completely uninstall programs if they want to, and you should try to facilitate that. We constantly lambaste proprietary applications for leaving all sorts of crud everywhere.

At the very least can you list the location of the various installed files (more than just the /opt dir, but the specific man pages etc.)
MarioE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 11:11 AM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Installing an uninstalling application on linux is the province of your linux distro, I provide the binary packages as a courtesy. Go complain to your distro maintainers about why they don't have a calibre package for their distros, or better yet create one yourself and send it to them for inclusion.
Old 07-21-2009, 11:18 AM   #11
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Installing an uninstalling application on linux is the province of your linux distro, I provide the binary packages as a courtesy. Go complain to your distro maintainers about why they don't have a calibre package for their distros, or better yet create one yourself and send it to them for inclusion.
But you have in essence made it impossible to make packages for a lot of distributions by requiring very late packages that are only available in unstable distributions. Given that fact I would say that people will use the binary packet and it would be really nice if you could uninstall it easily.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 11:22 AM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

There is nothing preventing a distribution from packaging an earlier release of calibre.
Old 07-21-2009, 12:35 PM   #13
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
If you're worried about diskspace just delete /opt/calibre the rest of the files will take less than a MB
And which files are those?
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 01:22 PM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Look at /opt/calibre/manifest to find out
Old 07-22-2009, 06:56 AM   #15
MarioE
MarioE began at the beginning.

Device: None
Quote:
This would be valid if you provided just source. I have no problem building and installing from source. But you also provide your OWN installation format, the binary installer. If you provide your own specific format for installation, that format should ideally also support removal.

At the very least, why don't you just state on the download page that the binary installer will require manual removal?

As for the community packaging it for you, I will probably do this, although your pugnacious tone is no real motivation. Did you approach any users in your community about being package maintainers for their distributions?
MarioE is offline   Reply With Quote