Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-08-2012, 07:57 PM   #136
Trauma Doll
Addict
Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Gave up on PW. Using Kindle Keyboard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Whatever, talk to my paperweight
Aw, man. For you, that joke is finally relevant.
Trauma Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:47 PM   #137
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Have faith

Quote:
Whatever, talk to my paperweight
Have faith. In time everyone's paperweight will be a perfect Paperwhite. Amazon is handing out replacements and not asking any questions.

Whatever was the problem will be solved probably sooner rather than later.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:26 AM   #138
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
Have faith. In time everyone's paperweight will be a perfect Paperwhite. Amazon is handing out replacements and not asking any questions.

Whatever was the problem will be solved probably sooner rather than later.
Actually, the story continued on into the night. When I received confirmation of the order update, there was only one device listed, for delivery on Thursday. I called Amazon, talked to one person who passed me on to somebody else. They dropped the call, I called back, talked to one person, who passed me on to someone else, and was put on hold every few minutes. Every single time I had to start from scratch to explain what the matter was. In a matter of hours, I talked to 7 Amazon CS reps. I am supposed to receive a new confirmation email for the second replacement, but over 4 hours later it is still not here.

I have never ever had anything bad to say about Amazon customer service, and have had nothing but praise for them. Until I ordered my paperwhites. I am in shock over how poorly this issue is being treated.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:14 AM   #139
Trauma Doll
Addict
Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Actually, the story continued on into the night. When I received confirmation of the order update, there was only one device listed, for delivery on Thursday. I called Amazon, talked to one person who passed me on to somebody else. They dropped the call, I called back, talked to one person, who passed me on to someone else, and was put on hold every few minutes. Every single time I had to start from scratch to explain what the matter was. In a matter of hours, I talked to 7 Amazon CS reps. I am supposed to receive a new confirmation email for the second replacement, but over 4 hours later it is still not here.
Ugh. This sounds like something I'd expect from CS at my cable provider, not Amazon. Maybe they're just getting overwhelmed/frazzled because of all the problems. Fingers still crossed for you.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:22 AM   #140
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
How disappointing. I'm sorry you're having such a bad experience, xendula. Hopefully you'll have it all resolved soon.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:53 AM   #141
Philz
Philz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Interesting.

If anyone remembers, I got one that ended up having a light column up the lower left. Quite annoying (not one of the leds or the subtle ripple of light at the bottom. I'm fine with that!).

Regardless was the Nov 16th date, and I was at the supermarket on the way back from campus yesterday morning and I get a call from Amazon's seattle customer support center. She was incredibly apologetic and said I'd get mine tomorrow (now today) and that there was no reason to wait so long for replacement. Also that it was an issue with the original replacement, so ignore previous return labels, etc. Great lady, definitely stateside too.

We shall see if the replacement is any better, I'm hopping it is, otherwise I might just hang onto mine for a bit and wait out some of the first few batches...
Philz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:59 AM   #142
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Good luck with the replacement, Philz. I'm expecting my replacement tomorrow. Fingers crossed it has no issues.

On top of the glowing speck issue, I noticed last night on mine some pinkness has suddenly appeared on the bottom left too.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:05 AM   #143
Trauma Doll
Addict

FWIW, there's a series of messages in one of the Amazon customer forums where someone claims that using an eyeglass cleaning wipe resolved his smudges and multicolor issues. I have lots of screen cleaning stuff at my work, and I tried several different kinds (including the packet-type wipes). No difference for my color blobs. I guess some people may really have surface oils or films that are causing some weird light diffusion, but I don't think it's the cause for the obvious pink/blue examples like mine.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:09 AM   #144
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered

I don't think it's the cause of the one that suddenly appeared on mine either. It's in the bottom left hand corner, an area I really never touch. I did use a microfiber cloth on my screen and it made no difference. I was surprised to see it suddenly appear last night. Previously there was a very slight hue there, but it's become worse.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:33 AM   #145
jswinden
Nameless Being

Yeah I saw that Amazon forum post. He already had some people commenting that it didn't work for them. I think he is one of those without the real problems many of us are seeing and is just attempting to explain it away. There are a lot of posters in some forums, especially the Amazon forum, that cannot accept the truth. There were a few here in this forum but either they have gotten scared away by our growling at them or they have come to accept that we do have defective PWs.

I think it is interesting that some of the PWs with bad screens seem to get better and/or worse over time. Mine was terrible, then a few days later seemed greatly improved, then got bad again. I'm shipping it back today. I'm tempted to hold on to it a few weeks to make sure it doesn't get recycled and sent to one of first wave of buyers in the same situation as we are. But I'm afraid I'll forget about it and then get charged for it.

I'm watching my replacement carefully. I suspect the blue hue is getting worse although it could just be my paranoid mind. It certainly has never been as white as most of those described by others, but their PWs might just seem whiter than they really are because that is what they want to see. We humans are peculiar that way! Mine is readable, but not the great reading experience it should be. And before you know who chimes in, I've got an iPad 3 which blows the Fire out of the water, so if I want to read at night on an LCD I can do that already. It is just that I prefer an eInk e-reader and I prefer it to be a Kindle. So I now need to give the PW a few weeks to see if it is worth the slightly better reading experience of using my Touch with the MightyBright light clipped on.

Last edited by jswinden; 10-09-2012 at 11:36 AM.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:44 AM   #146
Trauma Doll
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I think it is interesting that some of the PWs with bad screens seem to get better and/or worse over time. Mine was terrible, then a few days later seemed greatly improved, then got bad again. I'm shipping it back today. I'm tempted to hold on to it a few weeks to make sure it doesn't get recycled and sent to one of first wave of buyers in the same situation as we are. But I'm afraid I'll forget about it and then get charged for it.
Bleh, you mean you're thinking of sending back your replacement, too? (EDIT: Oh, I think you mean your original bad unit?)

I had one day with my PW (under identical lighting conditions as any other day) where the color blobs seemed faded (I probably posted about it), but it didn't last.

My replacement is out for delivery today, but I'm pretty resigned to getting another bad one, based on stories/images here, customer images on Amazon.com (both from happy and unhappy users), and the 1 & 2-star reviews.

Amusingly, I noticed the Amazon trade-in value of the Kindle Keyboard/3rd gen went up a few dollars in the last few days. (Glad I never went through with trading mine in--it's still my plan B.)

Like a lot of people, I feel that there's definitely an element of marketing fail to this whole thing. They created ridiculous expectations, which, coupled with the obvious QC issues, seems to mean that almost no one got a unit that actually looks like the marketing materials. I could have probably 'settled' for a unit with a decent screen (if I get one), but not after the hype, and not for $120 with the audio hardware removed.

Last edited by Trauma Doll; 10-09-2012 at 11:46 AM.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:53 AM   #147
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trauma Doll View Post
Bleh, you mean you're thinking of sending back your replacement, too? (EDIT: Oh, I think you mean your original bad unit?)

I had one day with my PW (under identical lighting conditions as any other day) where the color blobs seemed faded (I probably posted about it), but it didn't last.

My replacement is out for delivery today, but I'm pretty resigned to getting another bad one, based on stories/images here, customer images on Amazon.com (both from happy and unhappy users), and the 1 & 2-star reviews.

Amusingly, I noticed the Amazon trade-in value of the Kindle Keyboard/3rd gen went up a few dollars in the last few days. (Glad I never went through with trading mine in--it's still my plan B.)

Like a lot of people, I feel that there's definitely an element of marketing fail to this whole thing. They created ridiculous expectations, which, coupled with the obvious QC issues, seems to mean that almost no one got a unit that actually looks like the marketing materials. I could have probably 'settled' for a unit with a decent screen (if I get one), but not after the hype, and not for $120 with the audio hardware removed.
If I were to rate my replacement right now I would give it no more than 3-1/2 stars. In other words it is okay, but nothing to get excited about. Part of the higher rating is because I like the newer FW and features and better touch response. The screen alone I would rate no higher than 3 stars, and that is supposed to be its big selling point.

I saw one of the Paperwhite commercials on TV last night and really watched it carefully. Of course the screen was turned up to level 24 in every shot! But one time when they showed an angled view from the side I could the blue hue and center shadow, though only for a fraction of a second. I definitely would not have noticed that if not for our bad experiences.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:45 PM   #148
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
I just checked the Amazon page for the Paperwhite. 379 reviews give it 4 stars. That's pretty good. Only 79 folks gave it one or two stars. 237 gave it 4 or 5 stars.

It appears all the complaints on this Forum may be exagerrating the overall reception of this unit.

I scanned some of the one star reviews. Here are some of the problems reported there: no sound, cloud items could not be downloaded, pdf files display badly, eye strain from reading with the PW, 4 clouds at the bottom, ghosting on turning pages. Only one of the ten one stars I reviewed complained of defects in the screen.

Last edited by sirmaru; 10-09-2012 at 12:50 PM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:19 PM   #149
jswinden
Nameless Being

I'm so glad MR has an Ignore function. For the first time ever I just activated it.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:28 PM   #150
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I'm so glad MR has an Ignore function. For the first time ever I just activated it.
That, or use windex...
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote