Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 07-09-2011, 01:13 PM   #1
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Android tablets gain on the iPad; now commands 34% of the tablet market

In a different post focused more on nook sales vs Kindle I found this little nugget, thought I'd share.

Quote:
However, Android-based tablets grew to 34 percent of the total, an increase of about 8 percent over the previous quarter. And IDC expects that, in total, 53 million tablets will ship this year.
(more..)

Last edited by =X=; 07-09-2011 at 01:33 PM.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 01:21 PM   #2
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion
lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, GalaxyTab, BB Bold9700, BB 8300, Sony Clie, Palm Vx, Palm III
Nice. Said it and hoped for this last year - go Android, go!
lestatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 04:16 PM   #3
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Kind of surprising, really. Well...somewhat, anyhow. Are those numbers counting Nook Colors in the total?
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 04:21 PM   #4
troll05
Harmless idiot
troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB622, Nexus7, Sony PRS 350, Tolino und nur noch wenig toter Baum:(
well,there are two different iPads and how many android tablets???
troll05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 07:33 PM   #5
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by troll05 View Post
well,there are two different iPads and how many android tablets???
True enough -- but that is because Apple wants it that way. Keeping it simple. Having only one model really cuts down on compatibility issues. Which is both Apple's major advantage and their biggest shortcoming.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 11:50 PM   #6
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion
lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

^ Indeed, a double-edged sword for the Cupertino Crew. I am just delighted to see real competition for Apple.

In perhaps the ultimate irony of all corporate ironies, Apple has become the very thing they so railed against in their infancy - Big Brother.

Remember the 1984 Apple commercial anyone?

Go, Android, go!
Old 07-10-2011, 12:44 AM   #7
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
Not impressive, and a very comfortable lead when you dig deeper. And it is not expected to change much over the next 18 months.

Deep dive:

Quote:
Their research note estimates Apple’s share of the tablet market at 56 percent in 2011, followed by Samsung with 12 percent and Asus with 5 percent. LG Electronics, Motorola and Research In Motion are all given 3 percent of the market, followed by HTC with 2 percent. Although Amazon.com has yet to release a tablet, the note pegs its 2011 share at 5 percent. Nor do those percentages change much for 2012, although Apple loses 5 percent of its overall share to rival manufacturers.
and

Quote:
In a July 7 research note issued by Canaccord Genuity, analyst T. Michael Walkley and his co-authors suggested that the iPad 2’s price point is making it difficult for rival tablets to compete in a profitable way. “Our checks indicate both the Motorola Xoom and RIM Playbook have not sold well at current price points, as we believe competing tablets must sell at a substantial discount to the iPad 2,” they wrote.
http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Desktops-an...11-IDC-173643/

Last edited by RockdaMan; 07-10-2011 at 12:48 AM.
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 12:59 AM   #8
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion

^ Interesting. Still, competition is always a good thing, no?

Hope springs eternal!
Old 07-10-2011, 01:03 AM   #9
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Originally Posted by lestatar View Post
^ Indeed, a double-edged sword for the Cupertino Crew. I am just delighted to see real competition for Apple.

In perhaps the ultimate irony of all corporate ironies, Apple has become the very thing they so railed against in their infancy - Big Brother.

Remember the 1984 Apple commercial anyone?

Go, Android, go!
With tablets their is not much space for different form factors apart from screen sizes. Having different form factors has helped Android against iOS in the phone market. In the tablet market it will take longer for Android to get ahead of iOS and I think the only real competitors would be Samsung and LG with their own manufacturing and ability to introduce cutting edge tech exclusively like Apple does.
It makes me laugh how people are always on about iOS beating Android or vice versa when google's main aim with Android was always to get people to use the internet more and make it more part of our lives they have been very successful in doing that you might be using Apple products or not but you are using google.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 01:18 AM   #10
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion

^ Yeah, good points, especially about Google's long-term strategy vis-a-vis Android.

For sure, not so much leeway with the physical form factor of tablets is there? I mean, if it doesn't look like a tablet, then what have you got? A digital picture frame?

Still, there is a recent thread here on MR about the new Toshiba Thrive tablet with Honeycomb. Toshiba IMO has done some interesting things with that sucker, with the inclusion of full size USB port, on board HDMI port and an easily user-replaceable battery. True, it is not nearly as svelte and sexy as the iPad or other uber slim offerings, but my initial thought on seeing the Toshiba Thrive was:

"Hmmm...now we got a tablet where I could see myself actually DOING something productive on, rather than something that is simply a content consumption device..."

I am not an Apple hater - I quite love their industrial design and overall aesthetics and without doubt they have the best marketing/advertising/branding teams on the planet. I am just not so much a fan of their walled-garden mentality and their my-way-or-the-highway attitude.

Still, 6.5 billion people on planet earth so there are bound to be differences of opinion.
Old 07-10-2011, 01:45 AM   #11
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
It makes me laugh how people are always on about iOS beating Android or vice versa when google's main aim with Android was always to get people to use the internet more and make it more part of our lives they have been very successful in doing that
Bingo!

This article from a couple of days ago made me sit back and think.

The BlackBerry PlayBook is my favorite tablet

Quote:
while I believe iOS provides one of the best mobile user experiences money can buy, I far prefer gesture-based navigation on a larger device like a tablet. Swiping the big screen to switch apps, open menus and discard open applications is far better than poking at a home button, and the PlayBook’s gesture support is great.
Old 07-10-2011, 01:53 AM   #12
RockdaMan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestatar View Post
^ Interesting. Still, competition is always a good thing, no?

I found this interesting too. The last sentence of the first paragraph I quoted has the money quote:

One size doesn’t fit all: How the PlayBook and TouchPad outperform the iPad

Quote:
why would anyone buy the number two product if you could get the number one product? The issue for both vendors is that their products are being pounded for not being an iPad. But if we all did that with cars or any other device, we’d all be using the same product and every other builder would be insignificant.

At the core of this is that we tend to take products, particularly Apple’s consumer products, and make them the standard we compare others too. I think that is a mistake, because both the TouchPad and the PlayBook could appeal to buyers who want different things than the iPad provides.
Old 07-10-2011, 09:59 AM   #13
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion

^ Excellent pieces with some very clear, unbiased, un-Apple-influenced thinking IMO. As a BB user for eons, yes, I am looking at the Playbook and I pretty much am that guy.

Good stuff with good perspectives. Thanks for sharing.

Though I do disagree with one thing from the end of the second piece:
"The irony here is that historically Apple wanted folks to “think different.” This time around, not so much."

It hasn't really been "Think Different" from Apple since the iPod launched and the whole Apple mania really took off.
Old 07-10-2011, 08:00 PM   #14
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
The HP Touchpad still looks best to me (with the most capable OS) -- but I will have to wait till they have a Chinese language option. Also they have no newspaper direct, yet.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote